Let's Play "The Naming Game"

JmOz

A few years ago I started a thread I considered a HUGE success called The Naming Game, the rules were simple:

If you had a character Idea, but no name for it you would post the information you had and see if someone could come up with a good name for it. A "Working Name" was considered good form, something to make it easier for people to refrence (Things like Blaster Man, or Mental Girl). One important aspect was that it was to be used by anyone and everyone, not just me the original poster...

So I find myself once again needing a name, the character is in many ways an homage to Hank Pym's Yellow jacket (Without the mental instability). Current Working name is Stinger, but there is an A Next character with similar powers & name, so there would be to much mocking to use that name. My next choise was Hornet, but there is already two in the CU...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Let's Play "The Naming Game"

So you mean he's a flying blaster who shrinks? Go with a subatomic particle instead of one of those cheesy insect names. Proton' date=' Positron, Alpha, something like that.[/quote']

I really like this idea, it does mean taking restrainable off of his flight (Originaly going to be wings ala Marvel's The Beetle), and would let his armor look more techish, thank you, have some rep

Okay, I'll join in. I'm creating a team of supervillain rejects, called Vermin. One of the members, a near-indestructible brick, looks like a giant cockroach. I could just go with Cockroach, but maybe somebody has something better?

Also, a gadgeteer with tunneling, working name is Mole but that's so plain.

Okay, I'll join in. I'm creating a team of supervillain rejects, called Vermin. One of the members, a near-indestructible brick, looks like a giant cockroach. I could just go with Cockroach, but maybe somebody has something better?

For the Mole: Dak-Rat, it's a regional name for Prairie Dogs in the Dakotas...

Kurt Busiek had something better. "Palmetto". (Which is what Florida calls the giant cockroaches there so they'll seem less gross.). Wildcards called their cockroach-man "Kafka". But personally I'd go with "Death's Head" (since there is a species of cockroach called that.)

Well, I have been thinking on a name for a character i created a while ago but never got around to using. Never came up with a name.

It was a half-banshee. A female character whose mother was banshee, father human. Her main power was a multipower based on "songs". 1) was a sonic EB 2) Healing on others couple more but I have to search through notes.

I would prefer something in Gaelic or something similar. But I am not commited to that. If something good is brought up in English I'll go for it. Just didnt want to name the character anything lame or cliche like Shriek. :rolleyes:

I also have a WWII Japanese team. But I'll save that for when I get my notes together of them. Maybe tomorrow.

I really like Death's Head, but it doesn't fit the individual's personality or the tone of the team as well. I love Dirt Nap as a name, but probably better for an earth EC character. Palmetto seems the best fit for the cockroach character.

Dak-Rat works for the mole character, too.

Thanks all.

Well, I have been thinking on a name for a character i created a while ago but never got around to using. Never came up with a name.

It was a half-banshee. A female character whose mother was banshee, father human. Her main power was a multipower based on "songs". 1) was a sonic EB 2) Healing on others couple more but I have to search through notes.

First impulse was 'Shee. (Half of "banshee.") Looking up "banshee" in Wikipedia gave me "Sídhe." (in modern Irish, banshees are apparently called "bean sídhe"). Here are the links to Banshee and Sidhe in case that's any help.

I wouldn't go with a "super" name for that character. Just give her a nice celtic real name that sounds exotic like Aingeal (angel),, Vevila (harmony) or Damhnait (bard).

I wouldn't go with a "super" name for that character. Just give her a nice celtic real name that sounds exotic like Aingeal (angel)' date=', Vevila (harmony) or Damhnait (bard).[/quote']

Yeah I like Aingeal somewhat. Might go with that if nothing else.

And Bolo, yeah I looked up the wikipedia articles among my researching many months ago, but thanks though.

Well if you see my "Minutemen" Thread...I need some patriotic hero names.

I want either State specific or americentric...

I need a Blaster: Haven't decided on the energy yet, but pretty standard in powerset male.

An aquatic heroine, in the namorita mode. I was looking at ship or sub name or classification, but I didn't like the ones I found

A gadgeteer. Also female.

I need a Blaster: Haven't decided on the energy yet, but pretty standard in powerset male.

An aquatic heroine, in the namorita mode. I was looking at ship or sub name or classification, but I didn't like the ones I found

The blaster's from California. Golden Bear. Give them a golden power effect on their powers, and it works.

Gadgeteer is Hawkeye. Not that I'm from Iowa or anything.

The blaster's from California. Golden Bear. Give them a golden power effect on their powers, and it works.

Gadgeteer is Hawkeye. Not that I'm from Iowa or anything.

Yeah and the aquatic one should be from Hawaii. 2nd option: Florida.

Or you could put her in Alaska. Maybe give her mutant seal DNA. :thumbup: Depending on whether or not it would screw up character of course.

Anyway, for my Japanese team. My idea was they were formed in WWII to combat against the American supers. They disappered during the battle of Okinawa. Supposedly they were trapped in some sort of a suspended dimension thanks to a spell that backfired from one member of the group. And was trapped there until mysteriously being freed in late 2003. Havent come up with exact details yet.

Anyway, this was a team that was an offshoot of when I attempted to create a character based on ROY G BIV (you know rainbow). I believe the name for rainbow in Japanese was Niji, but I couldnt figure out what to name the group exactly (Niji in team name somewhere)

Red- a Japanese officer that was severely crippled early on in the war. His fanaticism for the Japanese cause led him into being put into a experiment where they were creating early cyborgs or sorts. Due to the primitiveness of the early cyborging. His body was a bit unwieldy. But it gave him incredible strength. Returning into the 21st century, he has obviously become disillusioned. But, he has become obsessed with the advancement in cybernetics. ANd has had his body refitted. Giving him enhanced maneuverability than he had back in the war.

Orange-A German sorceress. She was captured on the eastern front by the Russians. Sent to Siberia for experimentation, she escaped. And made her way to Japan. Seeing this as the only way to "get back" into the war, she reluctantly joined up with them. One of her spells was what trapped them at Okinawa. Even in the 21st century, she still holds an intense hatred for anyone of Russian descent.

Yellow-

Green- old guy. Leader. He was a young naval officer during the Russo-Japanese War in 04-05. Afterwards he retired to the country where he lived for over 35 years as a hermit before being called upon again. During those years he had kind of achieved a "symbiosis" with nature. He is able to "see" through the eyes of the animals, he can even detect things from the plants. One of his oddest powers is the mastery of pressure points, even on inanimate objects. Legend has it that he caused an American tank to fall apart with a mere touch. But, no one knows if that was propaganda or not. No one there survived (with the exception of the team, of course). He never loses composure.

Blue- Some sort of sentient Chinese dragon. Living on the Manchurian coast. During the Chinese-Japanese conflict, some Chinese soldiers came upon her nest of eggs. They were al destroyed. When she came back and saw what had been done. She was mad with grief. Heartbroken, she joined up with the Japanese efforts for revenge. During battles with the Chinese forces she was intensely brutal to any and all Chinese that she would come in conflict with. And like Orange's hatred of Russians, she still holds that hatred for China.

Indigo/Violet: brother-sister combo. Indigo-is a male samurai. With mystical sword and armor. Violet-the younger sister is a ninja, with an ability to go invisible. They are great at working as a team. As they have mindlink with each other.

Note: I nevere could figure out a suitable character for Yellow.

Cool a little less than two days and 20 posts, cool.

Okay, next character I am working on is a superstrong, super fast, super tough, flyer, main focus is his speed. Basicaly I see him being a college kid, kind of a slacker until he gets his powers (Will also take ideas on how he got his powers, no mutants please). Disads like Novice Hero, underconfident, etc...

Working Name: Rocket

So I find myself once again needing a name' date=' the character is in many ways an homage to Hank Pym's Yellow jacket (Without the mental instability). Current Working name is Stinger, but there is an A Next character with similar powers & name, so there would be to much mocking to use that name. My next choise was Hornet, but there is already two in the CU...[/quote']

Well so far you've gotten bug names, sub-atomic particles, and such.. I'll try to find some other alternates...

1. Lancette (referring to the small needle used to draw blood, no idea of actual spelling)

2. Dart

3. Lasix (like the eye surgery :D )

4. Ferngully (hehe)

For the cockroach brick...

1. Man O War

2. Beetle

3. darnit, forgot it, but its a cool name for a big freakin' beetle

4. Crunch (for what he does, and the sound of crushing a roach)

5. Click-Clack

Tunneling gadgeteer...

1. Steamtunnel

2. Borer

3. Escavator

4. Drill/Drillbit/Corkscrew

5. Digger Downs (ala Wildcard)

It was a half-banshee. A female character whose mother was banshee' date=' father human. Her main power was a multipower based on "songs". 1) was a sonic EB 2) Healing on others couple more but I have to search through notes.[/quote']

1. Syren

2. Ghostsinger

3. Spiritsong

4. Lament

5. Sad Note

For the blaster...

1. Musket(man)

2. 40-Pounder

3. Remington

4. American Thunder =)

5. Rimshot

Aquatic Heroine...

1. Waverunner (a boat type, I think, and fits aquatic theme. I like this one.)

2. Full Sail

3. Deep Sea

4. Raena

5. Spout (as in waterspout?)

Female gadgeteer...

1. Tick-tock

2. Lady Steam

3. Liberty Bell(e) (patriotic and female indicative hehe)

4. Ms. Franklin

5. Allure