Bizarre Spell Ideas

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Bizarre Spell Ideas

Rock you all night long

This spell only lasts for a few hours (despite the spell's title). However, many have been quite satisfied with the results. If this spell lasts for more than four hours, you might have to consult with a cleric for a dispel magic. This spell should not be used on people with high blood pressure or with known heart problems or vows of chasity.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head-turning Beauty: As you walk around, say, a park (yes, idea inspired by jkwleisemann ;)), there will be visible reactions. The surprising part is that these will come from everywhere, including those who are not quite human. Even inanimate objects such as trees, flowers, and light poles will turn to look as you go by.

Sadly, this spell has no effect on humans, who are oblivious to the caster's beauty.

I recently was converting the concept of one of my 3.5 DND characters over to hero. The character is meant to be a master conjuror so i gave him an unusual spell:

Conjure Least Servants: summon up to 16, 75pt normals, any normal (+1/2), Specific Being (+1); 87 active; incantations (-1/4), Guestures (-1/4), OAF (calling card or similar equivilent, -1) 35 real (in a multipower so it became 3 real)

The calling card is primarily a method of game balance as otherwise he would of been able to summon ANY normal, not just those who he essentially has a connection to.

• 3 weeks later...

Bring out the tiger in you! Summon ordinary tiger, Linked HKA Indirect NND (defense is having inwardly-oriented PD) Does Body :sick:

Okay, I'm going to stop there, I think I just made myself ill with my own visual :ugly:

"Like every fan, I have a little kid inside of me, struggling to get out. God, I hate indigestion...."

However, I think what the Kellogg's people had in mind was actually more like this --

Show 'Em You're a Tiger: Uses a variation of the Images power to make yourself appear to be a were-tiger, combined with a PRE boost to make yourself look more intimidating and powerful than you actually are. S this would be written up as a few dice of Image plus a 4d6 Aid to PRE.

Actually, I picture it more like this...

Show 'Em What You Can Do

This spell placed on any meal, forces the metabolic energy to be released in a much faster rate giving them +4d6 REC over the course of 5 minutes soon after eating the meal. (Look at the commerical, those kids CAN'T have a 2 REC, they just CAN'T.) The side effect, which always occurs when the spell ends, is the equivalent STUN drain. The material component is a cup of sugar which is sprinkled over the meal which coats much like the morning frost.

And since we're on the subject of breakfast cereals...

Pink Hearts, Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, and Green Clovers

This spell is used by cornered leprechauns to avoid being captured. The 1D6 AP RKA, 10 Shot Autofire is usually enough to convince gold diggers to go elsewhere. The damage comes from the speed of which these items are thrown, otherwise they are soft shapes that happen to be magically delicious.

This has been explained to me as a low END cost for lower SPD.

Well... Techinically the math doesn't work out. :ugly:

Small Child has a half the recovery of a Average Person. In fact, all things being equal, Small Child should be as active as a Senior Citizen, which is exactly as an Average Person who paces himself to exactly what a 5 STR, 1 SPD person can do. Oddly enough only the Average Person has the extra speed or stength to exhaust himself faster than the other two. It's a mechanics quirk.

But the secret formula in Hero for "always on the go" for your Average 8 STR, 2 SPD, 5" Run type of person turns out to be 9 REC (using LTE rules) or 4 REC without. If you use the Encumbrance rules, this assumes no more than 37 pounds worth of carrying weight.

Snooze Button: This condition (which can be inherent' date=' or added to a person by a spell) is a moderate to large mole or wart that, when pressed firmly, puts the person to sleep for nine minutes.[/quote']

Wake Me When the Sun Comes Up: When cast on a person it will cause them to sleep soundly until a set time (which has to be some sort of measurement the subject can comprehend; you can't say 'seven o'clock" to someone who doesn't know what a clock is) and instantly become fully awake at that exact time. The only way to wake them sooner is to Dispel the spell. If anything, the alarm function may be less significant than the subject getting a period of undisturbed rest at times he otherwise wouldn't.

Time for a Quick Nap: You can induce a "cat-nap" like state on yourself or others; restfully and peacefully asleep, yet instantly alert when disturbed. Not popular among professional guards, who consider it cheating.

The Snoreless Curse

When cast on a snorer will cause a benign, but somewhat painful buboe to grow on the victims back. It only causes pain if the victim ever sleeps on their back, thus they becomed conditioned to sleep on their side and stop snoring.

Invented by a rather short tempered witch primarily for her husband.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll Dream of Me Tonight: This spell allows you to enter a specific person's dreams and control their setting and content. Popular among sorcerers in forbidden romances' date=' or who have an intense desire to freak out nuns.[/quote']

Or for activating and instructing sleeper agents...

Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder

Enchants a goblet or glass of any alcoholic beverage to the effect that the imbiber gains the delusion that every member of the appropriate gender group within sight range has gained an additional 1d6 COM.

I Yam What I Yam: You can transform any non-magical inanimate object in your field of vision that is made of organic material (not stone or metal) into a number of yams equal to its mass. The yams stand in a pile where the object once was, and can be moved, stored or cooked and eaten as if they were ordinary yams. A variation of Food Creation magic that has other sneaky and nasty uses; it can be handy when used on a wooden door or a wooden house.

Mood-changing Spells (also makes good potions)

Empathy - This spell helps prevents someone from Enraging or going Berserk, but as side-effect produces a lot of crying, apoligizing and, of course, empathy. Opposite of Rage.

Rage- This spell helps some go Enrage or Berserk, sometimes just using the spell is enough to trigger the Enrage or Berserk As a side-effect, the target is more violent and anti-social. In some, the effect manifests less in outward rage and a slow painful vengeance. Opposite of Empathy.

Empathy - much like the Empathy Gun in the newer version of Hitch Hikers - you should also add the limitation "does not work on women"

I always believed that was a world-class bluff. The Point Of View gun should work giving Trillian the point of view of Zaphod which all things considering would have been very enlightening and scary. The guy is going on half-a-brain and freshly squeezed lemons, even if he's a complete jerk and open and honest about it, feeling what it must feel like to have most of your brain gone and having to work on lemons should have had thrown Trillian for a major loop.

If Trillian said that to me, I would have called her bluff and pulled the trigger. Then again, I'm not running on lemons.