Bizarre Spell Ideas

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Bizarre Spell Ideas

Not my favourite adaptation that. Plus the main characters thought they were in different movies. Trillian thought she was in Bridget Jones' Diary. Arthur was in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Ford was in the Three Stooges (or possibly Duck Soup). Zaphod was in his own world.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink Hearts' date=' Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, and Green Clovers[/b']

This spell is used by cornered leprechauns to avoid being captured. The 1D6 AP RKA, 10 Shot Autofire is usually enough to convince gold diggers to go elsewhere. The damage comes from the speed of which these items are thrown, otherwise they are soft shapes that happen to be magically delicious.

Recently Lucky was given a new charm (the Hourglass) that enabled him to manipulate time. This is a rather frightening power for a leprechaun to have when you think about it.

Pose, Pout, Wiggle.

Effect: +8 Com, +20 PRE, Only For Seductive Purposes

Target/Area Affected: Self

Duration: Persistent

Range: Self

END Cost: 0

Only To Make Seductive/Friendly Presence Attacks Solely For Purposes Of Stopping Combat (-1), Only Versus Targets Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

7 Real Points

Mages are all the same, they’re only after one thing! ‘Course, after one look at what she was doing with her…and what she did with her…well, its not like I’m getting paid a lot to kill her, is it?

Not so much 'Bizarre' as 'Unorthodox But Effective', as my PC found out.

Pose' date=' Pout, Wiggle.[/font']

Effect: +8 Com, +20 PRE, Only For Seductive Purposes

Target/Area Affected: Self

Duration: Persistent

Range: Self

END Cost: 0

Only To Make Seductive/Friendly Presence Attacks Solely For Purposes Of Stopping Combat (-1), Only Versus Targets Of Appropriate Sexual Orientation (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

7 Real Points

Mages are all the same, they’re only after one thing! ‘Course, after one look at what she was doing with her…and what she did with her…well, its not like I’m getting paid a lot to kill her, is it?

Not so much 'Bizarre' as 'Unorthodox But Effective', as my PC found out.

That's not a spell. That's a racial ability that ALL girls have!

:D

Somehow I can't quite see Phyllis Schlafly having that particular racial ability. shock.gif

Cold Shower: When cast on a person, it makes them uninterested in romance, if you know what I mean, for the next 12 hours or until it is dispelled. Probably best built as Mind Control and resisted by ECV.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently Lucky was given a new charm (the Hourglass) that enabled him to manipulate time. This is a rather frightening power for a leprechaun to have when you think about it.

Time Out

This spell doesn't really stop time (people remember being time stopped), but temporary stops all motion in a local area, allowing the caster to move things around before returning motion to the scene.

Time Stop (Cartoon style) 14d6 (standard effect: 42 points) (Transform Area into Time-stopped and Altered Version), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Area Of Effect (21" Radius; +1) (350 Active Points); OAF Fragile (Focus: Hourglass; -1 1/4), 4 Charges (-1), Limited Power: Transformation "heals" in 1 minute, any alterations to the area must be completed in that time. Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Side Effects: Caster is confused as he relives the last minute (-1), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

Active Points: 350, Real Points: 56

This is a Magic Ring that my thief character found in some treasure, when the GM decided that I was being forced to babysit the rest of the party too much whenever they started to slip into munchkin playing mode.

The Ring Of The Baby Sitter

This ring temporarily turns it’s targets into themselves as they were when they turned fifteen years old. Exactly as they looked when they really were fifteen, excluding clothes. They also become compliant towards the person who transformed them, to point that any remaining desire to resist is usually expressed as the typical complaints of a fifteen year old.

Transform, Minor 5D6: To fifteen year old self, No End (+1/2), NND: not having turned fifteen yet (+1), IIF (-1/4), Only Party Members (-1.5), During Winter (-1/4) Heals at target’s Rec per day (-1).

Transform, Minor Mental 5D6: No End (+1/2), NND: not having turned fifteen yet (+1), Linked: Transform (-1/4), IIF (-1/4), Only Party Members (-1.5), During Winter (-1/4), Heals at target’s Rec per hour (-1). Can be used in any phase that Transform is used.

58 RPs

Quite a character upgrade, but since, in my case, it only worked on the party, it wasn't that big a deal.

I just saw something that reminded me of this thread. It's not so much the spell itself as the fact that you use cell-phone-like devices to cast them. To cast a spell, you insert a card into the phone -- the card dissipates but returns to your pocket after a few minutes for re-use.

Another thing it did remind me of, though, is the danger of combining impressive raw power with complete naivete. Or taking a talking wolf to the center of town when he just won't shut up....

I just saw something that reminded me of this thread. It's not so much the spell itself as the fact that you use cell-phone-like devices to cast them. To cast a spell, you insert a card into the phone -- the card dissipates but returns to your pocket after a few minutes for re-use.

Another thing it did remind me of, though, is the danger of combining impressive raw power with complete naivete. Or taking a talking wolf to the center of town when he just won't shut up....

Hmm, possibly I should post this on Dark Champions-

We've been looking at 2D barcodes at work (mostly QR Code) - with the view that someone with a mobile take a photo and it gives a url or text about the services we do.

what if it was something more sinister?

One of my favorite spells in the Forgotten Realms was Snillock's Snowball. Like magic missile, only it produces a snowball that automatically hits target for 1 pt damage.

HERO system, I'd make it a 1 pip killing attack and a few CSLs for just this spell.

Frosty the Snow Golem

This ol' gray hat has been known to cause all sorts of trouble when placed upon the head of a snowman. This version requires actually building a snowman in the winter, which is not difficult (compared to other golems) but takes time.

Summon 100-point Snow Golem (20 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity: (Winter) (once per Year; window remains open for 1 Season; -3 1/4), IAF (Focus: Ol' Gray Hat; -1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2)

4 Real Points

Doctor Vault’s Television Ghost Summoning

Summon Television Ghost: 100 character points

(20 base points)

Reduced Endurance: 0 End

(+1/2)

(30 active points)

OAF: Remote Control.

(-1)

Extra Time: Full Phase.

(-1/2)

Gestures: One hand fiddling with the remote control for a phase.

(-1/2)

(10 real points)

Well-known Technopathic superhero, Doctor Vault, has created this device as a focus for him to summon holographic substitutes for people, drawn from the datastream of TV signals, into three dimensional realities. How aware they are of reality, and how accurate the replica is, depends on the settings of the remote control at the time that Doctor Vault summons the current being. Unfortunately, replicas of powerful heroes and villains are often unable to use much of their power, as the remote can only handle so much data at a time.

• 4 years later...

Protection From Flesh---All flesh near the caster is thrust violently away; starting from the caster's bones outward!

Great for some undead....

Safety in Numbers

Shields the caster in a swirling armour of equations, which can only be penetrated by working out their solution.

I love this idea

Lucius Alexander 

noitatnacni emas eht. :rofl:

Instant Llama

A low cost summoning spell good for creating instant barricades, bridges or landfills of the Camelidae kind. Some stacking or weaving may be needed in order to make the barricades more stable.

Not be confused with Instant Lama, which summons people who are the reincarnations of previous heads of religious organisations.  This is much less useful in constructing barricades, since they are often infants and far too cute to be used as fortifications. 

How to write up certain spells that might appear in the Grimoires of FH mages whose players have missed several days worth of their medication.

Rain of Cows: "It's raining cows! Hallelujah!" This spell causes a downpour of (temporarily) live cattle over the area of its effect. The effect of having one of them land on you is the same as it would be had a cow fallen on you from several thousand feet in the air under normal circumstances. 

Assuming you live a life where cows normally fall from several thousand feet in the area. 

Summon 64* 0 pt. creature (cow), linked (-1/2)  (30 pts. active 20 pts real),  Telekinesis 35 STR, AOE 32m radius (+1),  linked (-1/2),  only to accelerate cows to terminal velocity (-2).  (70 pts active 20 pts. real)

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion

RKA 1d6, NND (Defense is defined as lacking a posterior orifice; +1) Does Body (+1) (45 AP); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), RSR - KS: Conjuration at -1 per 10 AP (-5 Penalty; -1/2); 22 Real Cost

EDIT: Was supposed to be "Evan's" not "Evard's"

Edited by BlueCloud2k2

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion

RKA 1d6, NND (Defense is defined as lacking a posterior orifice; +1) Does Body (+1) (45 AP); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), RSR - KS: Conjuration at -1 per 10 AP (-5 Penalty; -1/2); 22 Real Cost

Since I've had one PM concerning this, it is a reference from Order of the Stick: http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Evan's_Spiked_Tentacles_of_Forced_Intrusion

I'm not comfortable being grappled there!

Lucius Alexander

At least the palindromedary is safe

I don't think anyone Vaarsuvius cast that on is comfortable being grappled there.

Since I've had one PM concerning this, it is a reference from Order of the Stick: http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Evan's_Spiked_Tentacles_of_Forced_Intrusion

I don't think anyone Vaarsuvius cast that on is comfortable being grappled there.

I seem to recall that "I'm not comfortable being grappled there" was what the monster said the one time Varsuvius used it.

Lucius Alexander

Polymorph to Palindromedary