Bizarre Spell Ideas

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Bizarre Spell Ideas

Detect Stage Magic: You can tell when someone is pulling a rabbit out of a hat, sawing a lovely assistant in half, etc.

Of course, since this depends on detecting prestidigitation, tricks, etc., it can in a sort of "by indirection find direction out" way tell when real magic is used, sometimes.

"We've been thinking about this the wrong way all along! That evil sorcerer isn't going to crash the party tonight to find his innocent and sacrifice her, he's already tracked her down - and he just killed her, on stage, right in front of us and everyone else!"

"Hmm. Sounds like closing act will be quite spectacular, then . . . when he summons his demon lord here to eat all the viewers."

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Won't See Me: You can make yourself invisible to one specific person, and only to him. Everyone else who would normal,ly be able to see you can.

The companions spell, Only You See Me, makes you invisible to everyone except one specific person. Useful if you wanht a King's advisers to decide he's insane when he sees you doing things nobody else can see you doing.

You Won't See Him/Her: Makes one specific person invisible to another specific person. Further convinces the advisor that the king is insane when His Majesty completely ignores his advisor's presence, even when third parties point it out.....

The companions spell, Only You See Him/Her Makes a specific person invisible to everyone except another specific person. Throws off the suspicion otherwise engendered when people realize that you're the only one the king claims to see doing neferious deeds while hidden in plain sight.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says sometimes it's NOT good to be the king....

Understand Women: The caster, if a man, understands the motivations, thinking, emotions, etc. of women fully and completely.

There should be a companion spell, Understand Men. However, since women have always had the delusion they understand men completely, no-one has been motivated to create that spell.

Understand Women: The caster, if a man, understands the motivations, thinking, emotions, etc. of women fully and completely.

There should be a companion spell, Understand Men. However, since women have always had the delusion they understand men completely, no-one has been motivated to create that spell.

In reality, both of them are the same spell, Understand Human. But men have always had the delusion that they understand other men completely, so they've never tried to use it on anyone but women.

In reality' date=' both of them are the [i']same[/i] spell, Understand Human. But men have always had the delusion that they understand other men completely, so they've never tried to use it on anyone but women.

It's not that I think I understand men. I just don't care as much.

In fact, sometimes I've remarked that "I only look male" because while I am obviously male biologically, I'm not male culturally.

As for Understand Human, I'm reminded of a spell I wrote for Call of Cthulhu:

Summon Human (Lesser Independent Race)

To cast this spell, the caster must repair to a place known to be frequented by Humans, and recite an appropriate incantation loudly and repeatedly(examples include "Help!" "Fire!" and "Free Beer!") There is no Sanity loss for the spell itself, only the inevitable penalties to Sanity from extended dealings with the beings it summons.

Lucius Alexander

Summon Palindromedary

In fact, sometimes I've remarked that "I only look male" because while I am obviously male biologically, I'm not male culturally.

As for Understand Human, I'm reminded of a spell I wrote for Call of Cthulhu:

Summon Human (Lesser Independent Race)

To cast this spell, the caster must repair to a place known to be frequented by Humans, and recite an appropriate incantation loudly and repeatedly(examples include "Help!" "Fire!" and "Free Beer!") There is no Sanity loss for the spell itself, only the inevitable penalties to Sanity from extended dealings with the beings it summons.

Lucius Alexander

Summon Palindromedary

In Warcraft III, if you keep clicking on a Dryad, she'll eventually say "Don't worry, I'll use my Summon Human spell -- 'Oh god, I'm sooo wasted!'"

Understand Women: The caster' date=' if a man, understands the motivations, thinking, emotions, etc. of women fully and completely.[/quote']

The problem is that the spell only works for a second and requires a unbelievably rare expendable focus. Something like diamond rings, tons of gold, etc.

Most of the units in Warcraft have really amusing quotes when clicked on multiple times.

Also in Starcraft.

I believe the sheep also exploded if clicked on many times :)

The only way to acquire a Talisman of Evasion, early in the Night Elf part of the game, in a hidden area that could only be reached with Blink.

Right. Therefore, my statements about men don't apply to you, because you aren't one ;)

Looking for an Understand Palindromedary spell . . .

I believe the sheep also exploded if clicked on many times :)

Baa Baa BOOM!: By casting this spell on a sheep, you cause it to explode. The explosion is a 7d6 Explosion with Area of Effect which utterly destroys the poor wooly baa-baa. Any other sheep in the area of the blast detonate as well, leading to a potentially devastating cascading chain reaction. It is probably safe to say this will not please any shepherds, sheepdogs, etc. in the area who survive the attack....

I'd have it that there is a society of Druids who maintain a constant spell that teleports one of the society to a point near any tree that is about to hit the ground in a forest - just so they can hear it.

Founded and sponsored by a Supreme Grand Druid who was willing to go to any lengths to win a minor point in his Sunday afternoon philosophy debate ;)

Does a Druid dropping dead alone in the forest make a sound?

The Sound of One Hand Clapping: During the duration of this spell, you can applaud with one hand while using the other for other purposes (fighting with a sword, writing a letter, picking a lock, etc.) and the performer won't know the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore The Man Standing In The Middle of the Room: Cast to yourself or another person, it causes anyone in the vicinity not to notice the subject - he's still visible and audible, it's just that everyone "tunes him out" and doesn't care that he's present. The effect can be resisted with a successful Perception roll if one goes to the effort of making one.

I See No Ferrets!: When cast, this spell renders and ferrets in the area of effect invisble for the duration of the spell. Useful not only for wizards with ferret familiars, but also when dealing with rodent problems.

Badgers! Badger! Badgers! Badger! Badgers! Badgers!: Summons a very large number of Ophidiophobic Badgers who love mushrooms.

Look At Me Now, Disappearing a Cow!: You can send cattle into the Parallel Dimension of Beans, and then bring them back at will.