Bizarre Spell Ideas

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Bizarre Spell Ideas

Ah yes, misspelled spells.

A mage of great power, but insufficient schooling,

This would explain why they all learn to read and write: the INT prerequisite is a social, not metaphysical, restriction.

How many of you ran up against the Typo Monster? Cast a fireball, it would (as a defense) turn that spell into a firebell.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The continually mis-firing powers of Little Red Riding Hood ChaCha (from the anime and manga of the same title) are a perfect example of this. She was an expert in summoning magic, but tended to summon the wrong things due to the Universe messing with what she said in ways that were awful puns. To make matters worse, the Universe was whimsical enough that when she tried to compensate for this problem, it would give her what she said she wanted anyway -- which usually was about the worst result she could ask for.

Getting a bull when you wanted a rabbit is not a good thing -- especially if you happen to be wearing a red cape at the time....

The same mage as before wanted to create his own version of "fireball." He tried twice before giving up.

Firebulb: This spell causes lightbulb to "pop" and burn. Since there weren't any lighbulb in that mage's universe, this was useless.

Fireball XL-5: Creates some really bad marionette stories, set in a Space Opera setting, to be played out. The stories are so inane, so tacky, so awful that many who see it are sickened. Turns out to be a useful spell, if the caster and everyone one his/her side if blind!

He should have given it a third try.

Firebell: A permanent spell cast on a building. Any fire bigger than that of a cookstove will cause the bell to peal, alerting everyone who hears it (and knows what it's there for) that there's a fire to be dealt with.

(I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Robyn again. Darn.)

Because When It Comes to Heads, there can be only One.

This spell grants massive bonuses to the recipient of this spell, but only if the recipient has but 1 head. Anything normally falling under this term applies, as such, clear-skinned women make up the greatest demographic applicable. Men of course can be effected, but it requires some serious surgery.

The Healing Shiv reminded me of one that I created (but never used):

Good Pain:

Healing was given to all clerics, but the Mistress of Pain still brooded. True, Her clerics need more healing than others, but it removed the pain and that she could not abide. So instead of standard healing, She gave the spell of Good Pain. It heals the wound, but leaves even more Pain.

XD6 Healing, does not heal Stun Damage (-1/4), Side Effect: Target suffers an impairing (or disabling effect if already impaired) for one day for every BODY healed in this manner. Plus +3 more days if limbs are healed, and don't ask how many for Resurrection. (-1/2)

The Healing Shiv reminded me of one that I created (but never used):

Good Pain:

Healing was given to all clerics, but the Mistress of Pain still brooded. True, Her clerics need more healing than others, but it removed the pain and that she could not abide. So instead of standard healing, She gave the spell of Good Pain. It heals the wound, but leaves even more Pain.

XD6 Healing, does not heal Stun Damage (-1/4), Side Effect: Target suffers an impairing (or disabling effect if already impaired) for one day for every BODY healed in this manner. Plus +3 more days if limbs are healed, and don't ask how many for Resurrection. (-1/2)

Ooh! Hurt Me Some More!: For the duration of this spell, the target expei9rences pain as pleasure and vice versa (this only refers to physical pain; mental and emotional pain has its usual effects). Frequently used to inspire berserkers who have odd expressions on their faces in the midst of battle....

Ooh! Hurt Me Some More!: For the duration of this spell' date=' the target expei9rences pain as pleasure and vice versa (this only refers to physical pain; mental and emotional pain has its usual effects). Frequently used to inspire berserkers who have odd expressions on their faces in the midst of battle....[/quote']

Great, know I got that Britney Spears song stuck in my head, "Hit me baby one more time!"

It Only Hurts When I Laugh: This spell causes all pain to be "suspended" as it were, until the target laughs.

That is, the pain the target would ordinarily feel is delayed until the first laugh, guffaw, chuckle, giggle, etc. the target emits. At that point ALL the pain "saved up" is felt, all at once.

I Baked a SPECIAL Pie: You can enchant pies with various spell-like effects, which affect the target after he either eats the pie or is hit in the face with it. If multiple people eat the pie, they are all affected by the spell (you can affect up t six to eight people his way depending on how big the pie is). If you try to hit someone to inflict the effect, it must be in the face: no other part of the body will work. You can bake multiple pies with different spells in them, but if so it is up to you to keep track of which is which. If the pie is not used before it spoils (one way or another), its spell-carrying properties are lost.

(I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Robyn again. Darn.)

According to my User CP, the last time you Repped me was over a month ago:

Aug 25th, '06 05:52 PM Thank you for that information!

Less lurking, more spreading it around :)

But also increased the intimidation factor of those bererkers....

(no, don't go there)

Why not? :whistle::angel:

In ancient times, the Celts would charge into battle with a "third spear" leading the way . . . :D

Forearmed is Four-warned: This spell causes the target to grow two extra arms. Thereafter, the target will be given a psychic vision of a soon-to-arrive danger, for four times.

The problem is, the target has a forearm fall off every time s/he has a warning vision. Note: the spell adds two arms, and gives four warnings. You do the math. :eg:

Detect Stage Magic: You can tell when someone is pulling a rabbit out of a hat, sawing a lovely assistant in half, etc.

Of course, since this depends on detecting prestidigitation, tricks, etc., it can in a sort of "by indirection find direction out" way tell when real magic is used, sometimes.

Detect Stage Magic: You can tell when someone is pulling a rabbit out of a hat, sawing a lovely assistant in half, etc.

Of course, since this depends on detecting prestidigitation, tricks, etc., it can in a sort of "by indirection find direction out" way tell when real magic is used, sometimes.

Or you could defy expectations and pull a hat out of your rabbit.

I doubt this will make the rabbit especially happy, though....

:lol: Now there's a weird image! Repped. :thumbup:

No Doubt About it, Rock - I Gotta Get Another Hat!: When cast at someone in the act of performing a stage magic trick or some other feat of sleight of hand, it makes it go wrong in the most improbable way it could conceivably go wrong - regardless of the laws of cause and effect, conservation of energy, or other such trivial considerations.

The Mumbo Effect: Enchants an item like a cane, a hat or a cape to give another person using it the power to warp reality in unpredictable ways, limited only by his imagination. However, the person who uses the item becomes slightly insane and gains a compulsion to steal, regardless of his previous ethical system.