I have 4th Ed, do I need 5th immediately?

Blorn

I've spent way too much money at Gen Con this weekend. So I can't really afford to buy the Fantasy Hero 5th Edition right now. I will be buying it, but my finances will have to recuperate before that happens. I was wanting to start a Fantasy campaign in the near future (before I foresee my funds recuping :( ) Do I really need to buy the 5th Ed. rules before I start? I have the 4th... I also have the Hero System Rules book. Will my 4th Edition Fantasy Hero book coupled with my 5th Ed. rules book be sufficiant until I can afford to upgrade? How different are the 4th Edition and 5th Edition?

BTW - I have the Grimoire I, Turakian Age setting, and the Hero Bestiary that I plan on using. Do I need anything else? The MMM would be nice, but...

Anyway, thanks, I'm running off for my last event for Gen Con!!! :(:)

Re: I have 4th Ed, do I need 5th immediately?

yeah, what he said.

I highly recommend you check out the sites of some of the board members.

Really, with all the wonderful and useful info that you can get from these guys, the need for any other books diminishes greatly. You can put off buying more books until you know you are set for $$$ and have plenty of cash free to spend.

Of course, Susano and Killer Shrike are the first two to pop into my mind. I know there are others, but my brain just went on vacation.

As 5E FH is more a genre book than anything, you don't need it to run fantasy games. It does make it easier, but it's not necessary. Go ahead and run with what you've got.

Funny thing, FH 5E was one of the first 5E books I bought, and it has turned out that I've been so focused on supers games that I've not really had much chance to use it.

I would highly recommend you get the 5th edition Fantasy HERO Genre book; it is about a million times better than the 4th edition version.

Its like a BMW 7 series compared to a Yugo -- its just better in every conceivable way, except it takes more space to park it :D.

YES! You must have the 5th edition of everything. mortgage your house, sell your children, donate organs, rob banks... or join VIPER. Do any thing you must but for the good of the planet you must get those books!:whip:

J/K 4th works fine... :yes:

I'm with Killer Shrike - it really is a recommended book.

However Fantasy Hero, Revised is coming soonish - Darren and Steve both have mentioned that it's on the horizon (Darren is on record in a chat stating he "hopes to have it out this fall"). while that's not very binding or a hard date, I would say that if you have to wait for funds to recoup that 4E FH will do just fine until the 5E FH,Revised is printed (sometime, in the future, no official dates yet).

Revised I believe only changes page references and fixies spelling mistakes; but waiting is still easier than hunting up a copy of the currently out of print Fantasy Hero, 5E.

I think I'm saying what they're saying.

Yes, you can use any 4th Ed materials you have at the moment, but grab a copy of FH® as soon as you're able - FH is already possibly the best genre book I've ever read, and it contains a wealth of information. You can go without, but I would suggest grabbing a copy of the Revised version as soon as you're able.

Seriously.

YES! You must have the 5th edition of everything. mortgage your house' date=' sell your children, donate organs, rob banks... or join VIPER. Do any thing you must but for the good of the planet you must get those books![/quote']

Let's see, I gave plasma to go to Gen Con, I now glow in the dark due to the experiments I allowed those drug companies to do, I've even considered that my wife really looks good in that leather mini-skirt of hers... maybe :D

Maybe not... I guess I will wait for the revised edition. Thanks, everyone, for the replies, it helps.

Now, one last question, do I need or should I get the "Monsters, Minions & Marauders" sooner, or can it wait as well?

Again, thanks in advance!

I've barely skimmed MMM. Currently, my campaign setting doesn't have any monsters, though that's soon changing. I'm easing in with monstrous versions of common animals, and then I might have big nasty things like dragons and such later on.

You could easily run a FH campaign without any monsters or just make up the ones you need. IMO, MMM should have been at least double it's size to be worth the price.

I think all the new FH stuff is good and would recommend getting all of it, but none are really required.

I wasn't very enthusiastic when DOJ announced they were going to do some world books for FH. I really wanted to see more genre books and never really cared for the worlds in prior FH editions. I've been pleasantly surprised to find both the Valdorian and Turakian age settings very good. I haven't been able to do anything but read them but if I ever get to game again (no time, no players) there is a very good chance I will use one of them.

Well guess I'll be the heel. Personally Fantasy Hero will be a waste of time for you if you've already run a fantasy hero game. I believe Turkian Age has the magic system spelled out for you (I can't seem to find Turkian Age at my FLGS so I don't have that book yet). If you have the all the other books, you'll do fine without FH. I would recomend Hero Besitary (has all the normal animals).