Ley lines and leyline nexus

Patriot

Re: Ley lines and leyline nexus

I'd suggest taking a look for places like Resurrection Cemetary, myself, instead. Ley lines aren't as widely "mapped" in the US as they are over in Europe, at least not that I've been able to find. So just hunt up somewhere that's rumored to be haunted or something of the sort, and that'll do the trick.

Probably be pretty close to a supposed ley line anyways, given how they're mapped out.

Look for places "primitive" cultures considered sacred: Indian burial grounds or ritual centers, places where they did rock painting or worship, etc. I'm sure there must have been a number of Indian tribes near what is now Chicago.

Some locations I've arbitrarily decided are conjunctions of ley lines include Stonehedge, Ayer's Rock, the Kabba Stone in Mecca, etc. There's also a huge formation in northern France with hundreds of stela similar to Stonehenge's which I forget the name of offhand. My basic premise is that primitive nature-worshipping peoples were more attuned to these mystical forces and hence made them places of worship even if they couldn't tap into them. In my campaign I have a ley-line-using supervillain (They don't give him his powers, but if he's near one he can tap into a virtually unlimited source of END).

If you want real fun, put one at the site of the old squash court at Stagg Field on the U of Chicago campus, where Fermi's first reactor was, and get creative about what happened because you had a chain reaction at a nexus point.

seems interested what kind of game are you going for?

i imagined a interesting supernatural investigative game with a series of unexplained events occurring at sites that are later established as ancient sacred sites which fall on local ley lines.

finally tracing the pattern of events and the ley lines leads to the discovery of a dark plot centered on the nexus point of the Chicago ley line pattern (I'd use the sears tower can't beat a huge black monolith) and there beneath the focus of all that telluric energy is the hidden subterranean chamber where a black magic ceremony will give the arch-villain supreme power can your heroes breach the defenses and save the day.

I had thought of taking my Weird USA book and making up a map of major US ley-line hubs, but it's one of those things I never seem to get around to.

Do searches of Chicago area weirdness, not just haunted places, but weird stuff like Florida's Coral Castle, or the House-on-the-Rock (of American Gods fame). If you want to get more detailed, rank them by weirdness, and then rank the strength of the ley-lines by the weird spots they connect. Whereever they cross on your map that doesn't already have a weird place can be a minor nexus, and just populate it with something of minor weirdness, like a crazy old prophet of doom or a cat lady or something.

A lot of this is do it yourself, however:

Make a list of 50 or 100 spooky/weird places in the world. Get a world map and put them on the map with little red dots. Connect all the dots. Those are your primary ley lines. Those are the Amazons and Mississippis of the magical world.

Then you can come up with another 50 or so spooky weird places in the local area and connect them to the main lines.

It'll get complicated with all the lines and stuff, but its a "simple" solution.

A lot of this is do it yourself, however:

Make a list of 50 or 100 spooky/weird places in the world. Get a world map and put them on the map with little red dots. Connect all the dots. Those are your primary ley lines. Those are the Amazons and Mississippis of the magical world.

Then you can come up with another 50 or so spooky weird places in the local area and connect them to the main lines.

It'll get complicated with all the lines and stuff, but its a "simple" solution.

If you do this on a globe with rubber bands, then the ley lines will be arcs along great circles. If you do this on a flat map, they probably won't be. That may or may not matter to you.

If you do this on a globe with rubber bands' date=' then the ley lines will be arcs along great circles. If you do this on a flat map, they probably won't be. That may or may not matter to you.[/quote']

Hmmm. Good point. I'm not sure if it matters or not. I guess it all depends on how you view ley lines. Shrug.

EDIT: WOOHOO!!! 100 Rep! Thanks, Patriot!!

OK' date=' thank you all for your input, but how about a little more, I found a nice haunted site...http://www.hauntedhamilton.com/gotw_bachelorsgrove.html

It looks good to me, but can I get your opinions on it?

Hey Patriot

If you get a chance take a look at the novel "If Whispers Call" by Don Bassingthwaite, an old Alternity / Dark Matter novel, in which the characters are investigating the Bachelors Grove ghosts. Its actually quite interesting, as a lot of the material in the book seems to have a corresponding entry on the website you quoted.

Trevor

Hmmm. Good point. I'm not sure if it matters or not. I guess it all depends on how you view ley lines. Shrug.

Yeah, it doesn't matter much to me; just a world-building point that might be an important detail to someone. If the "lines" run on the surface, that's one thing. If the "lines" are just the projection on the surface of true straight lines that run through the subsurface between nexus points anchored at the surface, that's something else. Just more games with geometry...