Combat Question: The "counter"

Thia Halmades

Re: Combat Question: The "counter"

BLEH.

You know I love you, right? But this is exactly what I do NOT want to do. I am specifically working on building it as a martial manuever (or group of manuevers) including "Block, Grab Follows" and such like. In this case you're holding, interposing, and then heaving the poor fool to the floor. While I freely acknowledge that it can be done as an SFX, I'm a nuts & bolts sort of guy, so I very much wanted to build an actual manuever.

BLEH.

You know I love you, right? But this is exactly what I do NOT want to do. I am specifically working on building it as a martial manuever (or group of manuevers) including "Block, Grab Follows" and such like. In this case you're holding, interposing, and then heaving the poor fool to the floor. While I freely acknowledge that it can be done as an SFX, I'm a nuts & bolts sort of guy, so I very much wanted to build an actual manuever.

I don't think this really is a Martial Maneuver (the game mechanic). It's just something every character can attempt to do. If you wanted a game mechanic to make some characters better at it, you can simulate that with Fast Draw and a Held Phase. The Fast Draw Skill will enable them to act first when interrupting another action. You can even limit it so that it only works when interrupting another attack specifically against the character.

I don't think this really is a Martial Maneuver (the game mechanic). It's just something every character can attempt to do. If you wanted a game mechanic to make some characters better at it' date=' you can simulate that with Fast Draw and a Held Phase. The Fast Draw Skill will enable them to act first when interrupting another action. You can even limit it so that it only works when interrupting another attack specifically against the character.[/quote']

I agree with Dusty on this one too.

HERO has all the tools available when optional manuevers are considered. Their use just takes practice. What you might consider is making custom notes on the character sheet for characters that might try these types of combination actions. I've been doing that via HDesigner for a while now.

Of course, there's always that option in UMA to build attack maneuvers with the Abort element. It's a violation of the rules, but at the same time permitted with a bunch of stop signs, exclamation points and hoards of "with GM permission" notices. Use at your own risk, harmful is swallowed, avoid contact with eyes, do not feed the animals.

Of course' date=' there's always that option in UMA to build attack maneuvers with the Abort element. It's a violation of the rules, but at the same time permitted with a bunch of stop signs, exclamation points and hoards of "with GM permission" notices. Use at your own risk, harmful is swallowed, avoid contact with eyes, do not feed the animals.[/quote']

Product not legal in the United States. Product may not be sold outside the United States.

I don't think this really is a Martial Maneuver (the game mechanic). It's just something every character can attempt to do. If you wanted a game mechanic to make some characters better at it' date=' you can simulate that with Fast Draw and a Held Phase. The Fast Draw Skill will enable them to act first when interrupting another action. You can even limit it so that it only works when interrupting another attack specifically against the character.[/quote']

Actually DEX allows you to do this -- you DEX off. You can use Fast Draw instead if a) you have it and B) its appropriate to the situation. The advantage to this would be if you had levels with Fast Draw, obviously.

(proving I can nitpick with the best of them)

I meant to say munchKinism' date=' not to be confused with nitpickerism. :D[/quote']

Ah, it seems I've been diagnosed...

nitpickerism is this boards Hobby. The goes double when you see ppl with post count of 5' date='000 or MORE.[/quote']

Holy inflated numbers ghost Hyper-angel Man! I have a point count of over 6,000! When did THAT happen?

Actually DEX allows you to do this -- you DEX off. You can use Fast Draw instead if a) you have it and B) its appropriate to the situation. The advantage to this would be if you had levels with Fast Draw, obviously.

(proving I can nitpick with the best of them)

True, but Fast Draw is the most point efficient way of improving one's chances.

• 2 weeks later...

What about two weapon fighting used with hand to hand?

Block is one attack, strike with the other part of it.

This has actually come up before in one of our games but we never actually used it. Is it legal?

nope,

Using a Block constitutes an attack action and ends the character's phase. Plus it already has its own sweep-esq qualities built in.

Another option which I was just reminded of is Damage Shield (mention generally a few times above). What I once allowed though it never actually made it into play (so I haven't playtested it) was a Damage Shield with the extra +1/4 so it applies in situations other than getting hit or grabbing. In this case, it was defined as applying when Blocking. Normally though, if you Block an attack, Damage Shield never applies (because you weren't hit). In this case, it would, and would automatically damage the person you Blocked. It did not, however, add extra damage to regular attacks or when grabbing, though it did apply if the Block failed and the character was still hit. It seems like a solid build to me, but as I said, I never got to playtest it.

nope,

Using a Block constitutes an attack action and ends the character's phase. Plus it already has its own sweep-esq qualities built in.

The fact that Block is an attack is exactly my point. Two Weapon Fighting is a specialized form of sweep, which allows multiple attacks. Also, the side bar on page 51 in 5ed is using two different types of attacks. In this instance, I can't think why one attack can't be block and the other a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

I am specifically working on building it as a martial manuever (or group of manuevers) including "Block' date=' Grab Follows" and such like. In this case you're holding, interposing, and then heaving the poor fool to the floor. While I freely acknowledge that it can be done as an SFX, I'm a nuts & bolts sort of guy, so I very much wanted to build an actual manuever.[/quote']

Does the "custom maneveur" rule allow for building a +X DCV that doesn't take an action right away? For instance, you would specify that you had to be "holding" for at least 1 Phase, and give the duration of the maneveur "potentially longer", then (instead of making your attack right away and leaving the DCV bonus for later) get the DCV bonus only through the next time you were attacked, but have it before you actually launched your attack (which you could only do after being attacked).