Input on a Vampire Campaign!

Derek Crow

I have this idea of creating a vampire campaign that I could run my friends through its just that I hardly know what to do for packages. One of my biggest concerns is if I am going to let the PC's be vampires or keep some flavor in the game and make them be humans. So if anyone reads this could you please help me out because most of you guys "know" what your doing.

Derek Crow

Here's a previous discussion thread on the topic of vampires:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4347&highlight=vampires

This thread has links to conversions of material from Vampire: the Masquerade:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2614&highlight=vampires

There's also a free article from Digital Hero which provides a template for vampires in HERO System:

http://www.herogames.com/digitalHero/Samples/dh06angelina.htm

Thanks

This is good stuff but I had planned on making this a game with 75 points or would the villian bonus make up for that.

Give me your opinion.....should I allow the PC's to be vampires or should I make them be humans. I think that by letting them be vampires it would make things fun for them but I also thought about all the suspence and stuff from them being ordinary humans. I don't know I want to make it fun but at the same time I don't want to overpower or ruin the game. Do you see what I'm getting at I want the game to be cool but keep the flavor.

Derek Crow

I think - until you've really worked the vampires out - you should stick with mortals.

They can always become vampires later, right?

Being hunters might be an interesting way of introducing them to the vampire world you want to flesh out.

The point totals your indicating are what mostly leads me to this conclusion, too.

75+75 and free gear is pretty much a talented hunter campaign, unless you've come up with a way of building vampires on the cheap.

Re: Input on a Vampire Campaign!

Originally posted by Derek Crow

I have this idea of creating a vampire campaign that I could run my friends through its just that I hardly know what to do for packages. One of my biggest concerns is if I am going to let the PC's be vampires or keep some flavor in the game and make them be humans. So if anyone reads this could you please help me out because most of you guys "know" what your doing.

Derek Crow

What about mundane magic items, like holy water, roses (yes roses where used in the book and acted like holy water), crucifixes, etc.?

I always thought that vampires should have a susceptability to such items, rather then giving them power of themselves. But the more I think about it, easier it would be easier to make them like weapons and free; effecting only specific creatures (vampires, mummies, etc).

How's that sound to folks?

I'd go with the human aspect for a start: more suspenseful. As pointed out, you can set the players up with a choice later on - become vampires, or remain human?

One possibility is to force the choice on them by having them "vampirized" later in the game: if you are inspired by the WW setting, starting vampires can be a bit weedy compared to older versions, so some tension remains.

Finally, I always go for the susceptibility thing: crosses are potent against vampires because they are vampires - to a human or a werewolf, they're just two bits of wood.

Cheers, Mark

Setting Material

I don't know if you knew what type of setting you wanted, or if you were creating your own. However, a series of books that I liked very much was from Steven Brown called The Everlasting. The book dealing with vampires (and other undead) was called the Book of the Unliving.

The system is pretty horrible, but that's what we have HERO for. ;) The powers that they have are actually pretty easy to convert to HERO, and they even list them systematically at the end of each chapter, so you don't have to do much to reference them for the conversion.

Nightshade

Oh yeah I overlooked the idea of items, thats a good idea. I do plan on making my own campaign world and setting. I think that I will go with the PC's starting off human and I'll figure out what to do later. So now I have an idea of what things are going to look like how many points should the game run on? I was thinking either 75 points or 150 points. I wouldn't mind running the game with 150 points but I don't want the PC's to start off too powerful. What I really want to do is make this game as realistic as possible and keep the game from starting too powerful. Oh yeah one more thing do you guys think that I should include other races? Well when anybody gets the chance reply please!

I've played VtM style games in Hero 4th, both with players as Vamps and as NCM agent types (ala X-files). I found that for players (as well as the GM) agent or hunter based games was much more fun and interesting for the players. If you decide to do both, you may want to start with the Hunter based stories before moving to Vamp based games as a Vamp first campaign will remove a lot of the suspense that could be generated in hunters vs. Vamps story. Also, I found that with Vamp based games you need tight controls on power sets for vamps, or else you could find your game slipping over into Superhero territory. One last thing, In our game I found it made more sense for to use Susceptibilities and Physical Limitations for Supernaturals when dealing with their weaknesses rather than going through the trouble of of building vs. Vampire only "magic" items.

Hope this is useful at all good luck with your game.

MANCER

Well, we don't usually use packages in our game so I can't really comment on that. And as far as traditional medieval weapons vs. firearms that's really a matter of your players and your own personal taste. We played both a "Modern" and "Dark Ages" game, both had their "merits" and "flaws" but I think most of us enjoyed the Dark Ages game more (which featured no firearms) because of the increased level of danger the players felt when facing their supernatural enemies. But like I said, others may differ.

MANCER

Also, the game we played was set in 13th Century Europe, and Magic like Vampirism, although very "real" to the characters, was forbidden to them. Although in retrospect a hedge magician (with low level cantrip type spells) probably wouldn't have thrown the balance off to much. But for that particualr genre I prefered magic to be something mysterious and freightening to the characters (something which a Fireball throwing Mage would have probably put a damper on, :))

MANCER

Here's my take on vampires, based on Forever Knight.

VAMPIRE PACKAGE DEAL

COST ABILITY

10 Self-contained breathing

3 Does not have to eat

9 Safe Environment: low pressure/vacuum, high pressure, high radiation, intense cold, intense heat

5 Longevity: immortal

10 Immunity to all terrestrial diseases and bio-warfare agents

10 Immunity to all terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents

21 Healing 3d6 (Regeneration 3 BODY per day), Resurrection (can be stopped by burning the body, driving a stake through the heart, or beheading), Reduced Endurance (0 END +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); Self only (-1/2), Not against silver or wood (-3/4) Extra Time (3 BODY/Day –2 ½), Resurrection only (-1/2)

5 Bite: 1 pip HKA

8 Blood Drain: 1d6 RKA, Continuous, Requires successful Grab

(-1/2), No range, 0 DCV Concentrate

9 2d6 Major Transform human to vampire, cumulative, no range,

0 DCV Concentrate, takes 1 minute, only once a day per victim

(-1), linked to blood drain

2 Running +1†(Base 7â€)

17 50% resistant physical damage reduction, not vs. silver or wood (-3/4)

2 Damage Resistance: 4rPD/2rED, not vs. silver or wood

10 5d6 Mind Control, needs eye contact (-1), takes full phase

3 PS: former occupation 12-

2 KS: hobby 11-

20 Flight 10â€

3 Stealth

10 Clinging

15 Does not bleed

DISADVANTAGE

-5 Physical Limitation: Sterile

-30 Berserk 11- at sight of blood (common), recover 11-

-20 3d6/Turn when on holy ground

-15 2d6 RKA from holy water and blessed objects

-10 Dependence on blood once/day (3d6, -3 to Characteristics/day)

-30 Susceptibility to sunlight: 3d6/Turn

-20 Vulnerability: 2x damage from fire

-15 Distinctive Feature: Vampire (easily concealable, extreme reaction)

-10 Hunted by Vampire Hunters 11- (less powerful, will kill)

-15 Reputation 14-: Monster

6 TOTAL COST

Thank you for your responses on the modern medieval version I just might go along with it because my friends and I do it in another system and it seems to work out well. Oh yeah about the package that was posted it is really generous of you to give it to me but I think that I can manage. Oh one thing that I had noticed, in your package you put an "r" in the armor. I take it you put it there to show that its resistant. If you read the description on armor it clearly states that when you buy the power "Armor" it is always resistant. I really do appreciate all your ideas and if you have more please post them. I'm all ears.

Derek Crow

Idea

My brother did something like this:

Everyone starts off as standard heroic normals (75 base/75 max disads). They created their characters, and then he basically turned them into things, and made the disadvantages work out to the points that they got. So, if he turned you into a vampire, you would get all of the "vampiric" powers, but you would also get enough disadvantages to make up the difference. If there were too few disadvantages, he would add some "roleplayed" ones like hunted/watched, reputations, and the like. Made for a very interesting game, since everyone thought that they were just doing a "standard" game.

Nightshade

There has been a proliferation of "vampires" of differing sorts and various names in human myth thru the ages, and modern media has only further confused/muddied the waters.

So if you are doing your own vampire game, or a game that heavily involves them, first decide what vampires can do exactly; define thier capabilities, weaknesses, powers, habits, etc. Decide what is true about them, what is known, and what is false information.

If you take the WW slant of various types of vampires that descend from a common power origin (Cain in WW), with differing proclivities towards shared vampiric abilities determined by thier bloodline, then flesh that out. If you are using some other book or source as the inspiration then do the same thing using that material.

After youve defined what Vampires are in your campaign, make a few sample vamps, giving them the abilities you think they should have, but try not to go overboard. Look at how many points they are. Use that point total as the benchmark for making starting human characters or starting vampire characters. Consider whether Vamps are solitary or packish; do you intend for PCs to encounter 1 vamp, or a coven of vamps on average. If only 1, make the PCs much weaker than a solitary vamp. If many, then make each PC closer in points or more points than an individual "goon" vamp, etc etc etc.

As far as Vampiric weaknesses, Susceptibilities and Vulnerabilities are the way to go. Susceptible to Holy Ground (major), Susceptible to Holy Icons, Psylim: Aversion to Holy Icons (Common, Strong), etc....

From a campaign stand point, if it is a FH campaign I highly recommend allowing some magic users, even if constrained. Otherwise it really doesnt feel like Fantasy and the genre looses quite a bit of its appeal. IMO YMMV, etc

I agree with Killer Shrike.

I would also add the following:

When doing something like this, if you start off with the characters not being vampires, you as GM should know everything about the reality of vampires on your world. However, the players should only know what the common people think about vampires. If everyone thinks that they are warded by rose petals and garlic, but really they aren't, the players should think that they are warded by rose petals and garlic. It makes it much more interesting and exciting to have to wonder what works and what doesn't.

For an added twist, make some have a particular weakness, but not others. This works best if you go with the whole bloodline thing, but can be worked in as an age/power level idea as well.

Just make sure that the vampires (or any fantastical antagonist) doesn't become old hat.

Nightshade

Thats an awesome idea I am definantaly going to do that. Hey has anyone played the game soul reaver I thought that if a PC were to become a vampire and were to die in some horrible way and their enire body was intact they could roll a d100 and on a roll 100 they would come back as a shadow wraithe with different weaknesses and have to eat souls instead. I think that would be kinda fun. Well keep the ideas rolling!

Derek Crow

• 2 weeks later...

In order to make Blood Sucking a vaible need I would suggest having the players start out with 0 Body and a Transfer Body to Body with the "recovery" rate bought to 1 point per day.

Makes blood suckers _much_ more worried about combat, and you don't have to kill the target in order to survive....