DC Animated Ground Rules

CrosshairCollie

Just general trolling for advice, opinions, pie, rep ... you know, the four basic HERO Boards Food Groups. ;)

DC Animated Universe HERO

Campaign Background

*The events of the following shows are considered canonical for this campaign's historical timeline:

Batman: The Animated Series

The Adventures Of Batman and Robin

Batman: Gotham Knights

Superman: The Animated Series

Static Shock

Teen Titans

Justice League Episode One ('Secret Origins')

*Teen Titans has concluded as of the beginning of this campaign, having taken place during the two seasons of B:TAS where Robin was absent. Robin (Dick Greyson) has quit the Titans and assumed the new identity of Nightwing, and a new Robin (Tim Drake) is a member of the Titans. Kid Flash (from TT Season 5) has become The Flash (of the Justice League). The Titans are applicable PCs, though it will be generally assumed that the PC in question has quit the Titans team (under what circumstances and whether it was a pleasant parting is for Player/GM determination).

*The general thrust of Teen Titans history is the same, however the tone of the series is more in-keeping with the mainstream DC Animated Universe. Specifically, some of the more nonsensical episodes ('Fractured', 'Mother Mae-Eye') did not occur, and the characters are more like their comic book counterparts.

*Static Shock is considered to have concluded as of the beginning of this campaign, with the exception of the final episode ("Power Outage"), which did not occur. The metahumans of Dakota have not been stripped of their powers. Static, Gear, and original 'bang-babies' are applicable.

*The events of Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond have yet to occur. The starting date of this campaign will be during Justice League's Secret Origins episode. Unless a character was given his or her origin during Justice League or Justice League Unlimited (such as Metamorpho), the character exists and is applicable.

Character Applicability

*Characters fall into three basic, broad categories:

*Characters who appear in the animated continuity. The background and abilities for these characters will be as in the animated series, not the original comic book source (for example, Supergirl is an alien from the same system as Krypton, not an earth-born angel; Captain Atom is an energy being in a containment suit, rather than a time-jumping soldier in a Quantum Shell).

*Characters who appear in the DC comics publications, but not in the animated continuity. Too numerous to list (examples include Plastic Man and Blue Beetle).

*Original Characters.

*The following specific characters cannot be PCs, due to the difficulty of maintaining show continuity and game continuity: Superman (Kal-El/Clark Kent), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Wonder Woman (Diana of Themyscira), Flash (Wally West), Hawkgirl (Shayera Hol), Green Lantern (John Stewart), Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onnz). Most other characters who have appeared in the aforementioned shows as heroes (such as the members of Titans East) are applicable.

*Characters who are villains thinly disguised as heroes (Azrael, Lobo) are not recommended.

*Characters who are cosmic-level entities (The Spectre, Dr. Fate) are not allowed.

*Characters who would not function well in a team are not recommended (too numerous to mention).

Character Creation

Base Points: 250

Maximum Points from Disadvantages: 100

Maximum Points per Disadvantage Category: 40

House Rules

The following rules are applied to help fit the 'feel' of the game:

1. Smashing Things: All normal items have a 2xBody Vulnerability to Attacks Generated By Superpowers. Normal Items are mundane pieces of equipment such as standard buildings, commercial vehicles, and ordinary weapons (a thug's Saturday Night Special qualifies, Captain Cold's Ice Gun does not). It does not include such things as supervillain bases, ultra-tech vehicles like the JL's Javelins, or weapons beyond real-life technology.

2. Invulnerability: Mundane weaponry (real-world firearms, ordinary knives and swords) automatically recieve Standard Effect on their Stun Multipliers (x2).

3. Strong Mentalists: Ordinary Humans (no PCs) have a 2xEffect Vulnerability to all Mental Powers.

These alterations let supercharacters be more 'super' without requiring excessive point expenditures.. A brick with 24 DEF (12 Resistant) can bounce bullets all day long, and doesn't need a ridiculously expensive STR to demolish a tank.

Peculiarities of the DC Animated Universe

Heroes are celebrated. Superhumans are not treated with universal scorn and distrust, however some superhumans have recieved such treatment for their actions (see: Batman).

Not as powerful as the comics. The characters, in general, are less powerful in the animated series than in the comics, making it fairly easy to build most heroes on 350 points.

He does WHAT now? While the heroes tend to stick very closely to their comic-book roots, villains are open to re-interpretation and a familiar name may not be as familiar as you thought.

Any blatant holes there? The timeline is probably the most confusing part.

Re: DC Animated Ground Rules

I want to play this game. Very much. Where do you live? When are you running? I have ideas for so many characters: Hourman, Sandman, Mr. Terrific (modern), Nightwing, Captain Marvel. Firestorm.

This is a game I would love to run, if I could get players who would do it right. But even more, I would love, love, love to play in it. :thumbup:

I want to play this game. Very much. Where do you live? When are you running? I have ideas for so many characters: Hourman' date=' Sandman, Mr. Terrific (modern), Nightwing, [i']Captain Marvel[/i]. Firestorm.

This is a game I would love to run, if I could get players who would do it right. But even more, I would love, love, love to play in it. :thumbup:

I take this as high praise. Sadly, we're about 1500 miles apart (I'm in Missouri). :(

I take this as high praise.

As I intended it. I have had ideas for several Justice League games, but never gotten to run them. Right now, I'd just love to get into almost any game from either side of the screen, but if I had somebody tell me he was gonna run the game you described, I would jump through the roof for the chance.

"Heck yep! I would play in this game!"

In the Real World I haven't had the opportunity to see all the stuff that is in continuity, but what I have seen, I like, and I'm trying to collect the rest of it on DVD.

If this was a PBEM, I would be so into this that you wouldn't believe it. In fact, I would would be willing to play the freakin' Tasmanian Devil, if that's what it took to get me into this game!

Calming down, this is pretty much the kind of game I intend to GM sooner or later. I just want it to be a "homage" game, rather than one in an "official" continuity.

And my Tasmanian Devil would be the non-gay one from the Superfriends comic. Probably.

I really like the house rules, I already use the mentalist one for my games. A couple other ones I have adopted you might want to consider

Normals (not PC's not even the Batman type) take x2 Stun from "Blaster Tech"

Normals take x2 to recover from body damage

I think I might adopt the Stun multiplier one, but make it a x3 (assumes a chest shot)

For the record: If I could play I would want to reuse a DC characters name but not the character, the character has appeared under his original name

Arsenal, would use some elements of the original, but not all of them, and change his background some...

Heroes are celebrated. Superhumans are not treated with universal scorn and distrust, however some superhumans have recieved such treatment for their actions (see: Batman).

Er...not if you are including Static Shock in your continuity. If that's the case then superhumans are probably regarded with at least mild suspicion until they have a solid track record of not being overly nuts. It would be well known that nine times out of ten someone who has acquired superpowers takes a psychological turn for the worse. Superman is idolised world-wide, the Flash has a reputation that arises from years and years of heroics by his predecessor and then him to make him a local hero, and the new superhumans like Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern who popped out of nowhere to fight the invasion as the Justice League with him are likely considered to be above suspicion as well, having just helped save the world and being on Superman's team.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Er...not if you are including Static Shock in your continuity. If that's the case then superhumans are probably regarded with at least mild suspicion until they have a solid track record of not being overly nuts. It would be well known that nine times out of ten someone who has acquired superpowers takes a psychological turn for the worse. Superman is idolised world-wide, the Flash has a reputation that arises from years and years of heroics by his predecessor and then him to make him a local hero, and the new superhumans like Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern who popped out of nowhere to fight the invasion as the Justice League with him are likely considered to be above suspicion as well, having just helped save the world and being on Superman's team.

Wasn't that just the Bang Babies?

Wasn't that just the Bang Babies?

I think you're right about that WhammeWhamme. The Bang Babies were distrusted because it was well now that, with certain exceptions, they got thier powers as a result of a chemical explosion during a big gang fight. Thus, all Bang Babies are assumed to be criminals already unless they conclusively prove otherwise.

I think you're right about that WhammeWhamme. The Bang Babies were distrusted because it was well now that' date=' with certain exceptions, they got thier powers as a result of a chemical explosion during a big gang fight. Thus, all Bang Babies are assumed to be criminals already unless they conclusively prove otherwise.[/quote']

Of course, unless you announce yourself as a Bang Baby, nobody can tell that you are one since there are no universal indications of Quantum Vapor exposure. :)

Excellent point on the whole, though I think Static and Gear had most of the Bang Baby prejudice mostly dispelled by the end of Static Shock (especially since they had a TV show and several celebrity endorsements). ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

Of course, unless you announce yourself as a Bang Baby, nobody can tell that you are one since there are no universal indications of Quantum Vapor exposure. :)

Excellent point on the whole, though I think Static and Gear had most of the Bang Baby prejudice mostly dispelled by the end of Static Shock (especially since they had a TV show and several celebrity endorsements). ;)

Well, being a new superhuman in Dakota was probably a warning signal.

The whole public trust issue... lessee.

In Static Shock, it was definately an issue.

Same in Superman: tAS.

Batman... well, he deserves it. :)

Teen Titans? Not really.

And neither in Justice League.

If we take Superman as being the first famous and respected super_hero_, and assume that this had a ripple effect on to more than just those heroes working directly with him (the OP did not, as written, actually put Flash's heroics into continuity, since it was revealed post Secret Origins, but I'm guessing we can assume it is), this fits.

Justice League had the public liking the heroes. Teen Titans... I can't recall specific examples, but having them living openly in the city, walking around in public, etc. indicates they didn't have bad press.

So this is probably reflective of a general public shift. People adjusted to there being superbeings, and enough turned out to be heroes - and those heroes managed to show up conventional forces often enough - that general dislike went down, with a spike in Dakota after a nasty but localized spate of supervillainy.

Taking later JL into continuity as far as there were flasbacks of stuff that has 'already happened', the public loves superheroes, but some of the people who really know them... don't.

It's easy to love the romantic image of Superman flying in to save the day... it's _quite_ another to deal with a man who can punch through a vault door and who you remember leading an army to invade Earth. (Sure, he was brainwashed... but you have to wonder... how hard was it to sway him?)

Especially when he's getting... pushy... about something important to him.

Just a suggestion, Crosshair Collie, but on the x2 effect things (smashing normal stuff, mental powers on normals) I would suggest going with maximum effect instead, i.e. 16 BODY, 48 STUN on an 8d6 attack. It will speed the game along as you can skip a die roll plus x2 effect can get really scary if the person rolls extremely well.

Just a suggestion' date=' Crosshair Collie, but on the x2 effect things (smashing normal stuff, mental powers on normals) I would suggest going with maximum effect instead, i.e. 16 BODY, 48 STUN on an 8d6 attack. It will speed the game along as you can skip a die roll plus x2 effect can get really scary if the person rolls extremely well.[/quote']

I kind of wanted the really 'run roughshod over the normals' theory ... though in retrospect, it'll probably be faster just to use maximum effect, comparing the results:

12d6 Attack, Body counts -- 24 Body either way

12d6 Attack, 'Stun' counts -- 84 (avg) vs. 72 ... not THAT big a difference.

Well, being a new superhuman in Dakota was probably a warning signal.

The whole public trust issue... lessee.

In Static Shock, it was definately an issue.

Same in Superman: tAS.

Batman... well, he deserves it. :)

Teen Titans? Not really.

And neither in Justice League.

If we take Superman as being the first famous and respected super_hero_, and assume that this had a ripple effect on to more than just those heroes working directly with him (the OP did not, as written, actually put Flash's heroics into continuity, since it was revealed post Secret Origins, but I'm guessing we can assume it is), this fits.

Since they actually had one of those inane Flash/Superman races in the Superman cartoon, that Flash has a long track record as a hero, nearly as long as Superman's is established. Although when Superman was making his debut as a man of about 24, "Kid Flash" was probably about 15.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Sadly' date=' I haven't seen all the episodes of JL/JLU, so I was unaware that Flash's past heroics had been documented to some degree. I'll definitely have to include that.[/quote']

There's one really cool episode, where we see the Flash Museum, and get to see Flash against four of his rogues... I loved how he dealt with The Trickster... he addressed him by secret ID, tells him off for not taking his meds, and gets him some help. No fighting, much to the surprise of... was it Orion? I think it was Orion... who was accompanying him.

Flash really is the heart and conscience of the Justice League.

I mean, he isn't the brightest little lightbulb (celebrity endorsements? whoops), but he doesn't get angry, and he always does the right thing.

As for the Flash vs Superman race - I actually saw that episode. Just forgot about it. If those two were the first well known superheroes in the world, with Orion, Green Lantern (Kyle) and anyone else who showed up before Secret Origins having been either viewed as an ally to them or for some reason not a superhero, while Batman simply didn't attract that much attention (or Green Arrow either?), then the generally pro-metahuman enviroment makes sense.

(Okay, Static and the Teen Titans also fit into the picture somehow... I didn't see the opening for Teen Titans, but we worked Static out fairly well, right? The Bang Babies WERE 95% gang members given superpowers, of course people weren't going to trust them.)

Sounds like a very cool campaign. :)

I'd say the Animated DCU Dr.Fate could be done on 350 points or so (maybe 400+ if you count the base). There was a thread a few years back with the animated JL built on 350 each that you may want to look into.

Very good house rules. Lord Liaden's stun rule is also very appropriate; if the best Body an attack with the Real Weapon limit can do won't get through your defenses, you take no stun. Thus, a 2d6 KA with Real Weapon can never hurt a character with 12 resistant def, but a Batarang (no Real Weapon limit) has a chance of getting some stun through.

I'd suggest looking over Power Skill. Read the expanded USPD rules on it, simplify them if you like, then let everyone buy the skill. It covers vast numbers of minor powers characters pull out of their hats.

You also might want to hand out a Base and some Contacts or other perks for free to JL or TT members.

Good luck with this.

Guest WhammeWhamme

In one of the early Teen Titans episodes they are eating pizza in costume at a pizza resteraunt. I think they were well regarded and accepted in the city. :)

Plus the whole public HQ in plain sight thing... totally, everyone loves the Teen Titans.

The question is more... why?

It looked' date=' sounded, and acted like the Flash who appeared in the JL animated series later.[/quote']

I'm reasonably certain it was the same character ... as you say, voice and personality were identical.

I'm not sure why people liked the Teen Titans ... I didn't care much for the show, but I'm leaving the basic thrust of the show in-continuity as a compromise with my players, who did like it ... and it gives me Deathstroke. :) On the other hand, I don't care who likes Krypto the Superdog ... unless I suddenly feel a *real* urge to do a comedy game (and don't break out, say, Mr. Mxyzptlk or Toyman or somesuch), I'm not goin' there. ;)

After the initial probings about the possibilities of the game, I have one volunteer for Blue Beetle (Ted Kord version, brain not ventilated) and Supergirl.