Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Nolgroth

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign

I will miss him sorely. I find it amazing how strong an emotional attachment I make to my friends from this cyberworld, but Dale made it seem easy and natural. I am better for having known him. Terrie and I send our prayers out to his family.

Nol, Sam and I were going to try and locate a used ship dealer to try and buy, bargain for, a new transponder for the ships ID. I am kind of hoping we can barter, maybe agree to a cargo run or some such in payment for the transponder. It would be really cool if we could get one with a reprogammable board and the hardware/software to change the IFF transmission... on the fly.

Hey guys I don't know about you but I would like to see something done in the next session for Milo that would honor Dale's character. But I find that playing with you guys over the last six months I've become to think of you as friends though we have never met face to face. So let's send Milo out in a big way at our next gaming session

Hey guys I don't know about you but I would like to see something done in the next session for Milo that would honor Dale's character. But I find that playing with you guys over the last six months I've become to think of you as friends though we have never met face to face. So let's send Milo out in a big way at our next gaming session

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking it'd be cool to know that Milo is out there, doing something, even if Dale isn't with us anymore.

So what do you think Nol' date=' can you whip some thing up for Milo. That would honor Dale. I know that we maybe asking alot but we are asking you to let your creative juices flow and flow big time for Dale.[/quote']Already done. Milo is out there doing good deeds. More than that, I will not say.

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. I've had players come and go, but Dale is the first to die on me. It took a while to get used to. I really miss Dale. He was a great person, who made a pretty significant impact in the short time I knew him. I suppose I just needed to grieve and get it done.

One of our fellow board members asked me not to stop GM'ing. I just wanted to assure everybody here that I have absolutely no intention of giving up gaming or GM'ing. If there are any doubts to that, I refer to the above post about willing players.

Normally when a player leaves the group, I would say that we have an open spot. For many reasons, I'm not ready to do that. While Presto was in Australia, I found that four to five players is the optimal amount that I can handle at the OpenRPG table. The game seemed much smoother. So now I am capping the game at five players.

Not sure why I posted all of this, but I think I just needed to work it out in writing. So what's next?

Well, my number one priority right now, inasmuch as role-playing goes, is the Gemini Ascendant campaign. As some of you may have read on the Fan Project thread, I am going to devote a certain amount of my Not So Copious time to developing Fantasy HERO materials. That will take second fiddle to the Gemini Ascendant campaign, but I ask one favor. Will y'all help me playtest any ideas I might be working on? I think it will be fun and will just continue my nefarious plans for the mainstream Gemini Ascendant setting.

Thanks in advance. See ya on Thursday. :)

On playtest: Oh Heck Yeah.

I almost jumped on board the fan project to contribute, but have a number of projects I'd like to get done this year that would prevent me from doing so. Knowing I could help playtest pleases me to no end.

As for Gemini Ascendant, I had no doubt you wouldn't quit GMing. This is also the first table I've been at where a player passed away. It really is just a weird feeling.

Both Terrie and I, and I am positive Jim would give a resounding "YES" to playtesting. I know Fantasy is both Terrie's and Jim's favorite genre (or at least it was until the Gemini Ascendant Game). I like em all. So does this mean we should start giving some thought to FH characters in the next few months, or weeks?

I am with you and GA on the GA issue. This is the first game I have been involved in where a fellow gamer passed away. I am glad we will be continueing, as I am sure Dale would not want us to stop . However, like Nol , I find I have been deeply affected by this. Being retired Navy, during my career I lost several shipmates, and I have to tell you that for some reason losing Dale hit me as hard as any of those death's did. It also made me consider my own mortality as Dale and I had a lot in common health wise, and are almost the same age. I have been inspired to by this event of losing our friend, to redouble my efforts to control my diabetes, and heart condition. Eat right (the biggie) and get more exercise, plus take my meds religiously.

I am also looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Hey Nol, you're not the only one that was hit hard by Dale's death and I agree with everybody else that he made an I to impact on our lives that won't be forgotten. I too have made a more concisious effort in watching my diabetes as well .

As far as player testing a FH game , no problem it is one of my favorite games. Though this game is it's equal and I enjoy playing it. I don't want you to stop GMing either. Cause you do a great job. I'll be there tommorrow ready to kick some..........

Oh yeah I have a new draft of the Gemini.

I've been fiddling with router settings to allow OpenRPG to create an accessible server. My last one was pretty Inaccessible from what I was told. Can one of you try to log on and report your findings back to me?

It is listed as the Gemini Ascendant server in the list. I was able to log in from localhost, but that means nothing to the outside world. Thanks.

Just want to make sure we have a backup plan in action.

Ok my Team Speak report...

:thumbup:

We had some initial problems getting headphones to work properly (there were some mics that appeared dead, and some feedback with echos). but by being patient we all eventually got the adjustments done by tweaking settings in Team Speak, and in the Windows Control Panel Sound Settings, and volume levels. The other issue we had was getting everyone logged into and registered on the teamspeak server that one of the guys in our game runs. He has it locked down to where he has to manually approve you as a user so that you can register in his server. He did this to prevent wandering people from joining the voice chat because as you can imagine that would be much more disruptive than some dropping into a regular chat. Once all of the settings are setup, you can save the configuration so that next time 3 mouse clicks opens Team Speak, and logs you into the server ready to play.

Once we were all logged in and registered, you could minimize Team Speak and then toggle back to ORPG where we actually ran the game. We used voice to dictate our actions or describe things just like in a face to face game, and we used ORPG to send our dice rolls, send whispers, draw the maps and use minis, and some text though most actions were spoken.

The issues Terrie and I had specifically were...

Terrie has a standard PC headset with microphone and speaker plugs, she had great sound but the mic did not want to work. To set it up we had to go into the Team Speak sound/voice configuration and turn on push to talk. The push to talk setting had us press a key to define her mic ptt button. I set this as her Alt key. Once this was done her mic started working, and all was well. One of the other players had the same issue and set his to be the right mouse button. The Team Speak default however is Voice Activated. The PTT had the effect of Terrie a couple of times having to repeat her actions as she forgot to press the "talk" button, her alt key, so no one could hear her.

I have a USB PC gameing headset with inline volume control and mute button. It worked great for audio, but again my mic was dead. I had to go into my windows control panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices, and select the microphone volume advanced setting and turn on AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and the +20db setting, voila my mic started working. The second issue I had was a feedback echo when I spoke, by turning down the volume on the mic some it made it go away.

In game we had to exercise some player self control as everyone can speak at once so if we try this in our SH game it will be important to wait for your action, though some banter is cool, it can get chaotic if everyone tries to speak at once.

Overall it was pretty cool to be able to talk instead of typing everything, and made the game go much faster.

So thats my report... on Team Speak. The Champs game went ok, the only issues we had there was, like us when we first started, everyone needed to learn to use the Hero dice roller, Terrie and I were the only ones that had Hero nodes and dice scripts. And the GM forgot to use the phase tracker till after the combat started. After the game I spent about an hour helping some of the players learn how to setup character nodes and dice scripts.

i hope you like the latest model. It has a gattling laser on the front, 4 mass driver cannons, 6 missles, and 2 ship killer torps . Your sighting system is a VTASS (visual sighting system ). The gattling gun rotates a 180 degrees and uses a helmet mounted sishting system VTASS and your missle can use the same system. Or this is how I would arm the ship if I were designing it.