A movie I recommend..

Storn

"The Warrior".

A Hindu-Indian film. Don't expect tons of fight scenes... it is a surreal story of seeking purpose. And it is simple. But it is beautiful to watch. Great scenery. Very minimalist acting... but extraordinary. I really liked it. Great fodder for gamers and slight twists on fantasy tropes.

Elegant stuff.

I netflixed it.

Re: A movie I recommend..

I saw it at the theatres a couple of years ago (umm, maybe longer...)

Anyway, I concur. Great visuals, nice story. I liked it a lot.

Aaaand - if you liked that, I'd recommend "Twilight Samurai". Without giving anything away that isn't on the outside of the DVD box, it's about a poor samurai who's gone deeply into debt to support his family and is ridiculed or shunned by his clan as a result. Then the clan suddenly needs his services - services which might cost him his life.

Not much sword action (though there is one really neat fight) but a very nicely filmed and acted story.

cheers, Mark

Not to be confused with Musa which I understand translates into The Warrior. This was a Korean movie that came out the same year. I liked it very much and there was a good deal of fighting.

I've got that one sitting on the shelf behind me - my version is called "Musa - the Warrior" so yeah, you could be right. That's also not a bad movie.

Cheers, Mark

I just watched the Mini-Series Merlins Apprentice with Sam Neill, which I liked a lot. I got it at Hollywood Video, but I bet it can be Netflixed. I am currently Netflixing the Prophecy series of movies with Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel. I watched part 3 last night. part 4 should be here tomrrow.

Musa rocks.

Those korean armor, helmets and weaponry look straight out of fantasy comic books more than oriental history... although I do believe they are fairly accurate.

But good story, great characters.

Almost as good as Hero albeit very different in tone.. Hero gets the nod for tighter story, better visuals and insanely amazing wire fu.

"The Warrior" is very different than Musa or Hero. It strikes me as closest as a little, quiet, B(+) movie called "Westlander". Another warrior on an odyssey of discovery.

I highly recommend Westlander also, very quiet, very much character driven, despite its fantasy world shown... in bits and pieces.