Not-Quite-So-Deadly-As-You-Might-Suspect Blow

CrosshairCollie

Re: Not-Quite-So-Deadly-As-You-Might-Suspect Blow

I would have gone with the 'Not-Quite-So-Deadly-As-You-Might-Suspect-But-Still-Pretty-Deadly-All-Things-Considered Blow', but that might not have fit.

Yeah, that's all I have for input, I dunno. Nice Road Rovers icon though.

Thanks, I got a bunch of 'em. Should probably rotate a new one in. :)

Something that just dawned on me ... the Deadly Blow talent in FH is built as a bonus of Killing Damage. What happens if the effect you're applying it to is a Normal Damage attack?

Hm. Well, I think the strict, mechanical, by-the-book ruling would be to either say it can't help a "normal" attack, or that it's rolled seperately as a multiple-power-attack.

But I'd probably just convert it into damage classes and add it to the normal damage.

Lucius Alexander

And a not quite so deadly as you might expect palindromedary

Funny you should mention this...I was pondering the exact same question just a couple of days ago.

I think Lucius has the right of it. I'll add that depending on the way the Deadly blow is bought, I might just allow it as a straight HKA without the MPA aspect... a "sneak attack" Deadly Blow, fr'instance.

I once thought about allowing a flat-of-the-sword option in the campaign. Something like -2 OCV lets you convert killing damage into normal damage. If I were allowing that, I'd permit Deadly Blow to be added to a normal damage attack, for the same -2 OCV. I probably wouldn't allow it otherwise, unless Deadly Blow were repriced upwards by a point or two so that the talent was priced as a multipower rather than as a straight killing attack.

Repricing the talent as a Multipower allowing for both killing and normal DC's would seem the easiest approach to allow it to be used either way. Of course, you then need to decide whether it can be used bare-handed, removing the Focus of Opportunity limitation.

Repricing the talent as a Multipower allowing for both killing and normal DC's would seem the easiest approach to allow it to be used either way. Of course' date=' you then need to decide whether it can be used bare-handed, removing the Focus of Opportunity limitation.[/quote']

Yup, which changes the talent price again.

Really, you'd end up with "levels" of the talent:

Deadly Blow: +1d6 KA

Weapon Master: +3 DC with any weapon

War Hound: +3 DC with all weapons and unarmed combat

Repricing the talent as a Multipower allowing for both killing and normal DC's would seem the easiest approach to allow it to be used either way. Of course' date=' you then need to decide whether it can be used bare-handed, removing the Focus of Opportunity limitation.[/quote']

Well the HA lim would substitue out with the the focus lim, keeping the costs the same.

Deadly Blow only works w/ Killing Attacks.

However, if you wanted a version that worked w/ Normal Damage Attacks (such as a club) instead, you would use the Hand Attack Power to construct such an ability.

Since the damage adding rules are different for Hand Attacks and Hand Killing Attacks, its not as easily additive (unless the GM chooses to waive it away).

On the other hand if you wanted to do some Deadly Blow Killing Damage in conjunction with a Normal Damage Attack, you could restructure the Talent along those lines.

I might allow the addition of Variable SFX to the Deadly Blow base effect to reflect it, approximating a normal damage attack and a killing damage attack as alternate SFX for the basic ides of "weapon that does damage".

Kind of fringe however.

There are several ways to model the "killing blow" ability, it just depends on what you want it to do. In most cases, when the character's attack is always a KA, and probably the same weapon at that, the easiest way to do it is buy +1d6 KA. But if you want a more flexible solution try one of these:

The multipower mentioned above; nuff said.

Martial Arts package (obviously) with the appropriate weapon familiarity. The character is well trained and so can do extra damage. The drawback is that you cannot more than double the damage of your weapon. Personally I think that is more realistic anyway, and should probably be applied to the Killing Blow ability too.

Extra OCV (5 point levels) with the limitation Only to increase Damage Class (-½). To match the 1d6 KA from the Killing Blow ability, you need to spend 20 points (+6 levels OCV to get +3 DC) instead of 15, but you can use it with any attack, although again it can only double the DC of a given weapon. This would represent being able to strike vital areas with great accuracy.

5d6 Aid to any 1 attack power (+¼), Standard Effect +15 points. This is really expensive comparatively (62 points), but lets you more than double a weapon's DC. It also requires an action to set up, and you might want to tack on some limitations to make it less pricey. This would be something like electrically or magically charging a weapon, hypervelocity attacks, superheating the weapons, etc.

15 pt Variable Power Pool, Cosmic, only to improve attack powers (-1). Total cost here is 25 points and will not only let you boost damage beyond the doubling limit, but it can also make attacks Armor Piercing, Autofire, etc., and possibly +3 OCV if the GM is lenient. Of course if the GM isn't wild about VPPs, then you have to go with the Aid. I have played with this build as a super version of the Power Skill, and it worked pretty nicely.

One of the beauties of the Hero system, so may ways to do things :)

True ... I was mostly wondering' date=' for example, what would happen if someone using something like [i']Dragonslayer:[/i] +1d6KA Deadly Blow, only vs Dragons, lost his or her sword/axe whatever and had to resort to fists or a staff or other Normal Damage weapon.

Hmm. I'd guess that a DragonSlaying blow could only be done with an appropriate weapon and the ability cost should have that as a limtiation.

In fact i just checked and it is in there - weapons of opportunity. That has a limit of -1/2 (as OIF) and so cannot be used barehanded or with ANY weapon, or it would not be worth a limit.