Best superhero game thread poll: Go Vote

hancock.tom

Re: Best superhero game thread poll: Go Vote

there are other superhero games still out there?

That was my thought too.

Champions has always, to my mind, been the beginning, middle, and end of Superhero roleplaying. Yes, I know there technically exist other superhero RPGs (DC heroes, Marvel, COH for online play, etc). But honestly compared to Champions and the Hero system, every other one is laughable. I can't imagine anyone who's ever actually played Champions, ever considering any other superhero RPG as good, let alone better.

C

But honestly compared to Champions and the Hero system, every other one is laughable. I can't imagine anyone who's ever actually played Champions, ever considering any other superhero RPG as good, let alone better.

C

Think this is a rather small-minded approach. SAS has some excellent ideas (Special Attacks, Extra Attacks), for wham-bamm comic book feel few systems beat Marvel superheroes, DC Heroes MEGS system was truly innovative and intelligent system let down by a clunky game and powers design rules, and M&M is scoring so highly in part because it has drawn players from both D&D *and* HERO and Aberrant is a very elegant game which, like M&M, waters down pure effects-based by adding rich colour.

I love HERO, but for Superheroes I no longer believe it is the best system. Sorry guys.

I am unable to vote. I don't remember my password and no longer use the email I did when I setup my RPG.net login. Perhaps I'll just have to setup a new login.

Best setting? Aberrant

Best system (scope/balance)? Champions

Best system (learning curve/ease of play)? M&M

I couldn't place a focused vote in that poll if I had to...

Actually...

Best Setting: Champions. With no "you have to use this setting" incorperated into the rules, Champions can use any setting, making it the perfect fit for all players and whatever style they prefer to playing.

Best System: Champions, at least in terms of scope/balance, so I agree there. On the issue of the learning curve and ease of play, I learned rather quickly as far as play, and so have the majority of my players. The only exceptions have been players couldn't grasp any system quickly. The only time I've had a problem of ease of play was when I rolled 24d6 for damage at a con and half the dice rolled off the table.

I love HERO, but for Superheroes I no longer believe it is the best system. Sorry guys.

And so because you no longer like Hero the best, the fact that I do makes my approach "small-minded?" I'm not sure it's reasonable to refer to having a clear favorite being "small-minded." By that line of reasoning, anyone who's a Bears fan and cheers them on over all other teams is "small-minded."

To be blunt I might somewhat agree with you if you were to say the current incarnation of the Hero system is no longer all that great. I have said elsewhere (to the point people are likely sick of it) that I far preferred Champions (by which I mean actual Champions, when the game was only a superhero game, and before they added all this other "Hero System" junk). The reason I say this is that tons of stuff has been added to the game deliberately to make it generic, converting what was once a highly specialized and perfected superhero RPG system, to just a different form of GURPS.

I actually wish Hero hadn't gone down this road, but I'm probably in the minority.

When it comes to superhero RPGs though, Champions is far and away my favorite. Nothing else comes close to it that I have tried.

If that's gonna classify me as "small-minded," then I'll accept the title.

C

And so because you no longer like Hero the best, the fact that I do makes my approach "small-minded?" I'm not sure it's reasonable to refer to having a clear favorite being "small-minded." By that line of reasoning, anyone who's a Bears fan and cheers them on over all other teams is "small-minded."

To be blunt I might somewhat agree with you if you were to say the current incarnation of the Hero system is no longer all that great. I have said elsewhere (to the point people are likely sick of it) that I far preferred Champions (by which I mean actual Champions, when the game was only a superhero game, and before they added all this other "Hero System" junk). The reason I say this is that tons of stuff has been added to the game deliberately to make it generic, converting what was once a highly specialized and perfected superhero RPG system, to just a different form of GURPS.

I actually wish Hero hadn't gone down this road, but I'm probably in the minority.

When it comes to superhero RPGs though, Champions is far and away my favorite. Nothing else comes close to it that I have tried.

If that's gonna classify me as "small-minded," then I'll accept the title.

C

Not speaking as a mod per se (though it is why I didn't perceive this as an insult on your person, either), I perceived his comment that the approach of saying "every other one is laughable. I can't imagine anyone who's ever actually played Champions, ever considering any other superhero RPG as good, let alone better" as being "small-minded". I am not going to use the same word, since I think it connotes more than what I'd want to communicate, but I do think it's being rather presumption and, to me, equally unimagineable, to state outright that "anyone who's ever actually played Champions" wouldn't consider "any" other superhero games as even "good." I can understand Champions being a far-and-away favorite, I can understand a variety of accolades to apply, but denying that other supers games have been "good" is a rather extreme position that, to me, by inference (not necessarily your intent) insults a lot of people and a lot of tastes, particularly as you state it's "unimagineable" to you, not merely surprising or such. I frankly assumed you were simply being hyperbolic for the sake of it when I first read it, I didn't think you were being serious.