How would you model this?

garou

Re: How would you model this?

Cool. Like the zombie dog and the cthuloid teddy :)

A swarm is quite hard to play: even if you had desolid, logically an AoE fire attack will kill the lot, even at a low level of intensity.

You could go with desolid, but I'd probably run with decent but limtied defences in preference, especially damage reduction.

The Desolid mechanic was how I went about trying to mimic the effect in The Mummy where Imhotep dissolves into insects and flees. Having that cloud-of-bugs as a permanent state is something different.

I'd be more inclined to label the bugs as sfx and call this Stretching, and load up what you think the appropriate defenses would be. This might be a case where Damage Resistance to Resistant Physical (but not Normal Physical) would be appropriate, since (e.g.) trying to cleave the guy into pieces with an axe isn't going to do much.

A swarm is quite hard to play: even if you had desolid' date=' logically an AoE fire attack will kill the lot, even at a low level of intensity.[/quote']

Since you're supposed to define some attack that your Desolid character is still vulnerable to, AOE attacks would make sense in this case. In fact I've seen that condition taken for Desolid with various SFX: two-dimensionality, super-Dodging, and others.

That said, I do agree with the rest of your recommendations for how to build this character when he isn't Desolid. :)

An old Marvel villain, Swarm, had similar abilities. I'd use either Damage Reduction or Desolid to model the fact he is a swarm. The latter is expensive due to the impact on attack powers, including any STR, needing to affect the solid world.

The attack type his Desolid doesn't affect is area effects and explosions as these target each individual insect. Damage Reduction would be limited to not apply to such attacks.

Should have looked in the UNTIL book - it lists a Swarm form under insect powers, as Desol plus damage resistence. I might write it such that the character is "solid" most of the time, but can disperse (go Desol) when needed.

I'll probably start with that, add Stretching and some other powers, and give him a nasty Vuln to Fire, Insect toxins, and Bug Zappers.

Could you Sweep an attack' date=' then, to hit them all?[/quote']

I'd have to rule no - you need an attack that actually affects the entire area. The penalty to Sweep to hit a million+ bugs would prevent any possibility of striking more than a few.

You'd need an attack which covers the entire target to affect it. Even an Spread energy blast or Selective AoE has to target individual entities, so I'd hold out for a "hits everyone in the hex" attack.