WWYCD?--"I'm not crazy...or anything."

SKJAM!

Your character's team (or just your character, for those with firmly solo characters) finds itself in battle with a major villain, considerably out of their weight class. Things aren't going so well. Just as the villain has your character on the ropes, another figure appears.

This is a major-league hero, one of the top three most powerful in the world/galaxy/multiverse. He's more than a match for the villain. Normally, that is. For some reason, he seems distracted today, hesitant in his actions, and those he does take aren't the most effective ones he could use. The villain is actually beating him fairly badly.

Fortunately, while the villain is distracted trying to put down Major League, the player characters are able to regroup and come up with a plan to stop said villain.

If Major League is approached after the battle, he looks distressed, mutters something about "I can't deal with this now" and dashes off. If not approached, he just goes away the minute the villain is secured.

Over the next few days, the characters hear reports either through the media or their contacts, that Major League is definitely off his game, missing scheduled appearances, letting bank robbers escape, snapping at reporters--all very much not his normal behavior.

If the player characters investigate, they manage to track down ML fairly easily at one of his favored mountain getaway spots. If no investigation, he eventually comes to your character himself, and spills his guts. (Depending on who your character is, this could be very awkward or logic-defying.)

It seems that ML is having a existential crisis of some sort, unsure of his true purpose in life, wondering if crimefighting/evil battling/social reform is really worth it, and he's seriously contemplating giving it all up. It's really preying on his mind, and he's aware of what it's done to his effectiveness. In his darker moments, he's even considered ending his life.

What would your character do?

Re: WWYCD?--"I'm not crazy...or anything."

There are so many things that could factor into the answer.

Not just who MY character is, but what my character knows about who "Major League" is. And if there was any kind of previous relationship between them, and what the reason was that MY character might have gotten singled out for this revelation. Some of them would be naturals for it, I suppose; but it's hard to imagine anyone going to, say, Can Opener for help with a midlife crisis (or whatever the problem is.)

Lucius Alexander

Sometimes it's a good idea to just have a long talk with a palindromedary

There are so many things that could factor into the answer.

Yes, yes there are.

Not just who MY character is, but what my character knows about who "Major League" is. And if there was any kind of previous relationship between them, and what the reason was that MY character might have gotten singled out for this revelation. Some of them would be naturals for it, I suppose; but it's hard to imagine anyone going to, say, Can Opener for help with a midlife crisis (or whatever the problem is.)

If your regular campaign has an applicable character, go with that one.

If not, then presume Major League is normally your stalwart, square-jawed champion of justice type. While it's not impossible for him to be having this crisis, it's certainly not his normal behavior. Your character has met him at least briefly before, and something about the crisis or the character makes ML think your character is the appropriate one to talk to.

Blackberry S. Firr is definitely suited to helping people going through personal crises.

She would start by giving Major League a big hug, then get him in a nice, quiet place, and talk with him. Between her sympathetic demeanor, and the delicious cookies she bakes, she would definitely be able to at least keep him occupied long enough to feel a little better.

Microman II: for thematic reasons, the most 'likely' candidates are his teammates Horus-Re or Starguard. The former would have him thinking mind control, and asking for help from his father. The latter, would have him trying his best to cheer her up and demonstrate the obvious good she achieves. Oddly, the likelihood of this being external influence is pretty much flipped; Horus-Re is if anything more susceptible to despair, under the right circumstances.

Diomedes: There's a couple possible candidates, none of whom Diomedes knows personally. Likely proximate cause is fallout from Detroit, either in surviving it or not being present. His response would be something along the lines of "Don't despair at the present world. . . because absent the absolute best effort of you and those like you, the future will be really bad. I've seen one."

Jack Frost: Best candidate would be Vanguard, or one of the other old Sentinels. He knows them at least a little, and would probably pull a "roundtrip tour to see every single person whose life has been positively touched by you." Further depression would draw an angry response of "Are you saying this person's life doesn't matter?"

Hermes: Good lord. Keeping to his own time, the only two really relevant candidates are the Champion of Ra and Minos. The first is bad enough, with this whole scenario being almost inconceivable; he's the guy who helps drive off despair in others. The second. . . is not only inconceivable, but both horrifying ( on the level of waking up to find that all the good you had ever done was the delusions of a madman, who actually lived in a world in which Naziesque powers ruled all ) and geopolitically disastrous on the "end of world" level. Hermes would be so out of his depth its not even funny.

I've been thinking. Almost any character I can imagine in this situation would start by sitting down to a good long talk with a lot of listening, and some leading questions, like "When did you start feeling this way?" and "Have you ever had moods like this before?"

But I realize I'd be making different assumptions, or at least asking different questions, if I'm playing different characters.

Old suspicious Quetzlcoatl would eventually try to find a delicate way of asking "Is it possible some enemy has found a way to influence your emotional state? You know my team has a good psychic - if you trust her to look in your mind, maybe she can find out if someone's been playing that kind of head game with you."

Stormwalker would probably interpret things in terms of some aspect of the Hero's Journey. He might point out that Major League is manifesting the archetype of the Reluctant Hero, and (mentally putting himself in the position of Herald) reassure him that he has everything it takes to be a hero, warn him that the path of the Reluctant Hero leads to bad news both for the Major and everyone around him, and that things can only get worse and worse until he embraces his destiny again and resolves to be the hero he is meant to be. But he would have that long, mostly listening conversation first; a LOT depends on the specific circumstance. If it comes out for example that Maj. League is having a serious health crisis, the answer might be "I think the villain you need to worry about now is this disorder in your own body. I understand you don't want to let anyone know, but if you let me tell them I know some good healers who can help you. Meanwhile listen to your physician; turn off the police scanner and the news and let yourself rest and let your body fight this thing. Everyone already knows something's bothering you; let them wonder. Drop out of sight for a while- that's what a secret identity is for. Unless you decide to hold a press conference, no one ever has to know why you weren't around for a couple of months."

Lucius Alexander

Sometimes it's a good idea to just have a long talk with a palindromedary

Soulbarb: Could be tricky. Soulbarb can be very snide, sarcastic, and insensitive with people she doesn't know well or want to know well, and tends to form bad first impressions. If we've gotten past that part already, and ML is still on speaking terms with Soulbarb, she'll try to help him as best she can, mainly just by listening, and trying to help him sort out what's best for himself. She'll also be keeping an ear out for the possibility of mental influence or personality tampering/switching. But she's not a mentalist or a psychologist, though she might be able to tell if a magical posession or hex of some sort is involved. Beyond that, it's hard to be specific without knowing more of the specifics of ML's story.

Sylph: Well, she'd start out intending to be a good listener and provide a shoulder to lean on. But somewhere along the way, ML would probably wind up drinking a bit of wine. Or maybe more than a bit. Sylph and ML would probably get sloshed together, which would trigger the maenad to come out, and show ML the time of his life. Sylph would wake up later, somewhere else, naked, probably in ML's bed, not remembering how she got there. And then wonder how she's going to explain this to Alaric. As for ML -- between the effects of the nectar of the gods, and maenad's ministrations, I somehow think he'll be feeling MUCH better. ;)

Terminus isn't very good with existential crises. He was made for what he does - and trained and taught to look upon it as the fulfillment of his existence. He'd probably wind up slapping ML across the face and yelling "pull yourself together already!"

Badger- not the person he would go to. Badger wouldnt have much pity on him. Probably calling him a "whiny little pretty boy attention-whore".

Frosty Bob- stares blankly at the guy......."So, uhh, you wanna go pick up some chicks at the bar?"

Edit: Thinking on it I can see a different outcome for Badger. I will assume this hero knows about Badger's past and how he lost his family. So I guess he might ask Badger how he personally keeps going. "Well, I do it because I exist. This is my talent, my mission, I have come to welcome the thrill of battle. You will never see the day where crime is completely erradicated. For me, if it was, MY purpose would be gone. You shouldnt do it for the fame, do it because it is right." He'd say something like that probably if the hero goes about coming to him in the right sort of way.

Dolphin: Would sit on the ground in full lotus. Gesture for ML to do the same. IF ML doesn't already know, will insturct him on proper breathing technique. [edit: "Yes, I know you don't have to breathe, I don't either. But it helps focus."] Any questions that are varations on "what are we doing?" will be answered with "Waiting." Any that are variations on "For what?" or "How long?" with "Until it is time."

Sooner or later, ML will become aware of a crisis that he feels needs his attention. Dolphin will gesture for him to wait. "If you honestly believe this world and its people have no need of you, you will ignore that."

When ML protest or refuses, "Then it is time. Go!"

First check, all around is just a quick check with the team mentalist to make sure there's no mind control effect running. Let's face it folks, in a world where Menton is allowed to continue breathing, this is the first question to ask.

After this, is when things (might) get interesting.

Void: Would try to get ML booked with a very, very good psychiatrist to help him work through the issues. Expenses paid. But frankly, this guy's coming to Mister Neuroses for help?!?

Huntress: This is about to get ugly. In all likelihood, they'd chat for a while, then she'd suggest trying out what she started taking when she was having her own depression issues.

Then, unless ML knows prescription drugs fairly well, is immune to their effects, or has the gods-given sense not to trust the medical advice of somebody whose degrees are in metallurgy and engineering, we find out what happens when a Superman clone starts using Desoxyn (prescription strength methamphetamines).

Darkchild: It's time for the superhero edition of It's a Wonderful Life! After they've talked things over for a bit, give him a look at the world if he *hadn't* gotten involved in it. Frankly, probably a very, very, very bad place. If necessary, take him there to *visit* the resulting world (EDM in a VPP can be useful.)

Galaxy Girl: "Uhm... coach? Do we need to run through the list of times you've saved our assets *again*? And please don't say that doesn't matter, we've got a hard enough time convincing Jerry and Jenny that they're worth something as it is...."

Ok, Version One, the thaumaturgically, cybernetically and genetically enhanced martial artist asks him to sit down quietly while he finds a mentalist. While ML is sitting down V1 gets every member of the team to surreptitiously observe him to make sure it IS ML. Can't be too careful. If it isn't and the brain scans are OK he tells ML that he has saved dozens/hundreds/thousands of lives (as appropriate) and though he might not think he's doing the right thing they do. V1 tells him that he (V1) has no choice in about superheroics, his mind was made up for him. Made up of various mind an evil genius had around the place. The most influential mind was Vibroman whose ethical codes he inherited and who never had any doubts about SH-ing. ML has a choice. He can continue helping and saving enormous numbers of people or he can choose a different purpose. With ML's skills there are thousands of things he could do. The world is litterally full of worthwhile things ML is capable of achieving, so talk of suicide doesn't make a lot of sense. If ML choose to change his life that's his right, he has a right to do that which makes him happy. But if he is going to abandon 'the cause' remember something. Without people like ML everyone would be like V1, not able to choose their own morality, their own causes, their own lives. Super villains would come to control all of that. So choose what's right for you, but don't think you weren't valued. And if you leave, remember you're welcome back anytime.

It seems that ML is having a existential crisis of some sort, unsure of his true purpose in life, wondering if crimefighting/evil battling/social reform is really worth it, and he's seriously contemplating giving it all up. It's really preying on his mind, and he's aware of what it's done to his effectiveness. In his darker moments, he's even considered ending his life.

What would your character do?

Revenant b*tch-slaps American Eagle upside the back of his head, and says "Whats WRONG with you? You have these Powers, and the will to use them, to better the lives of those around you. YOUVE SAVED THE WORLD!! What more could you want from a "life's purpose"?

Stop whining, cowboy up, and get your head back in the game! Now lets go take down Nekrotron!"

*snmerk. snigger. muffled guffaws*

I am currently picturing Vitus's response to this situation. For someone who was once the prophet of a young and overwhelmingly vibrant religion, Vitus isn't that high on actual wisdom, let alone modern psychiatric practise.

Add to that that he comes from a world where the very gods were reluctant to use their power overtly (for fear of provoking another, and Final, GodWar), having come to Earth only to find that the god-like beings that infest do little more than meddle in politics ( his rant face-to-face with Eurostar is here - http://drhoz.livejournal.com/71763.html ) he would have no patience at all with angst. Vitus uses every iota of his power and skill to achieve his goals (admittedly most of those goals are pointless stranded on earth and his home reality erased), but he has nothing against other people going all out for what they believe in. In fact, such whole-hearted dedication is the only acceptable behaviour. Other little related oddities about his outlook include his puzzlement that Earth is *resisting* the takeover attempts by Istvatha V'han, Mistress of a Thousand Worlds. Don't the locals realise how much they'll gain? A Thousand Worlds of medicine and technology, plenty of room at the frontier for anybody that way inclined, vast new resources available... Vitus has nothing against empire-building, he's done it himself, and a vast network of states under a centralised and benevolent control sounds like heaven to him.

So the closest thing to treatment for acute depression he's likely to offer is a few swift kicks up the backside and a frothing rage that if he doesn't do everything he's capable of doing with his superhuman gifts then he may as well be dead.