Dark Champions the Anime Series

Susano

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dark Champions the Anime Series

Well... if Revy didn't win' date=' Rock was a dead man.[/quote']

Yep, thats one of the things that made me root for Revy but I genuinely respected and liked Gin more. I empathized more with him and his situation too. There's also the fact I like sword/melee fighters more than gunfighters. Revy, while an interesting character with a not unsympathetic background, is a deeply flawed human being and would probably be a pretty frightening person to be around in real life unless you were similarly inclined.

Yep' date=' thats one of the things that made me root for Revy but as a human being I genuinely respected and liked Gin more, I empathizes more with him and situation as well. There's also the fact I like sword/melee fighters more than gunfighters. Revy, while an interesting character with a not unsympathetic background, is a deeply flawed human being and would probably be a pretty frightening person to be around in real life unless you were similarly inclined.[/quote']

Revy is all about money and the power it beings. Gin, on the other hand, had a sense of honor and responsibility. Revy is just a nihilist.

I'd call both Gin and Revy flawed human beings, but that made it more interesting. Gin ultimately failed as a samurai because he could not let go of his life and be willing to die in order to win. Revy fought like someone already dead. According to the Hagakure, that makes all the difference.

Gin let her be drawn into the Yakuza world because of his feelings for the girl and his desires to protect her. He was more of a sympathetic figure, he seemed to want to get out of that world but it would not let him and his sense of obligation would not let him.

Aside from her background there is little sympathetic about Revy. I think that's part of the fun of the character.

I'd call both Gin and Revy flawed human beings' date=' but that made it more interesting.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, Gin had his failings, but I felt more sympathetic towards him than Revy. Revy's a fun character but like its been said she's no angel. I liked her, she's more familar and as a "main character" you know more about her but I felt more for Gin so my feelings about the outcome of the battle were highly mixed. For me, that seemed like pretty good storytelling.

Don't get me wrong' date=' Gin had his failings, but I felt more sympathetic towards him than Revy. Revy's a fun character but like its been said she's no angel. I liked her, she's more familar and as a "main character" you know more about her but I felt more for Gin so my feelings about the outcome of the battle were highly mixed. For me, that seemed like pretty good storytelling.[/quote']

I agree here. I could see both of them winning, that was part of the tension of the battle. And I didn't wait either to lose, but I could see no way one was not dying.

I went into to that fight thinking that there was a chance they'd both wind up dead. A she shot him as he stabbed her deal. Which is, of course, what happened it's just that one wound wasn't fatal.

If they would have both died I wonder what would have happened?

I went into to that fight thinking that there was a chance they'd both wind up dead. A she shot him as he stabbed her deal. Which is, of course, what happened it's just that one wound wasn't fatal.

If they would have both died I wonder what would have happened?

Hentai Answer: Rock and Yukio console each other over their loss.

Serious Answer: Yukio kills Rock with Gin's sword. Then, probably herself.

Rough Draft of Balalakia

Balalakia
Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]
18	DEX	24	13-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
15	CON	10	12-
11	BODY	2	11-
18	INT	8	13-	PER Roll 13-
17	EGO	14	12-	ECV:  6
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
10	COM	0	11-

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
4	SPD	12		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
27	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost:  88

Movement:	Running:	7"/14"
	Leaping:	3"/6"
	Swimming:	3"/6"

Cost	Powers	END
Martial Arts:  Commando Training
Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Notes
4	Block		+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Disarm		-1	+1	Disarm; 25 STR to Disarm
4	Escape		+0	+0	30 STR vs. Grabs
3	Joint Lock	-1	-1	Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on
5	Neck Break	-1	-2	Grab One Limb; HKA 1d6 +1 , Disable
3	Punch		+1	+0	5d6 Strike

5	Cool Under Fire:  +10 PRE; Only To Defend Against Presence Attacks (-1)
17	Stechkin APS:  RKA 1d6+1, 20 Charges (+1/4), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) 
plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)	[20]
2	Move Soldier!:  Running +1" (7" total)	1
1	Movie Soldier!:  Swimming +1" (3" total)	1

Perks
1	Contact 8-
40	Hotel Moscow:  Followers (32 x 75 point base)
0	Fringe Benefit:  Captain
Notes:  Former Spetznaz Captain, rank only applicable to memebers of Hotel Moscow
5	Fringe Benefit:  Leader Of Hotel Moscow
5	Money:  Well Off
6	Reputation:  Boss Of Hotel Moscow (City Of Roanapura) 14-, +3/+3d6

Skills
4	Marksmanship:  +2 with SVD Dragunov
3	Climbing 13-
2	KS: Spetznaz History And Customs 11-
2	KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 11-
2	Navigation (Land) 13-
1	PS: Ex-Speztnaz Officer 8-
3	Stealth 13-
6	Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain) 13-
3	TF:  Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3	Tactics 13-
3	Tracking 13-
6	WF:  Small Arms, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Knives, Shoulder-Fired Weapons
0	Language:  Russian (idiomatic; literate)
3	Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
1	Language:  Japanese (basic conversation)
2	CK: Roanapura, Thailand 11-
2	KS: Roanapura Underworld 11-
3	Demolitions 13-
2	PS: Video Editing 11-
3	Fast Draw (Pistols) 13-
1	AK: Afghanistan 8-
2	KS: Soviet War In Afghanistan 11-
3	Oratory 13-
3	Concealment 13-
3	High Society 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  171
Total Cost:  259

100+	Disadvantages
10	Distinctive Features:  "Fry Face" -- Burn Scars On Face And Body (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; 
Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5	Distinctive Features:  Smokes Constantly (usually cigars) (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By 
Commonly-Used Senses)
5	Distinctive Features:  Spetznaz Uniform Overcoat (she wears virtually everywhere) (Easily Concealed; Noticed and 
Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
20	Psychological Limitation:  Loyal To Her Own (Common, Total)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Totally Ruthless (Very Common, Strong)
99	Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points:  60

Background/History:  

Personality/Motivation:  

Quote:  

Powers/Tactics:  

Campaign Use:  

Appearance:  

Any opinions? I still need to add her skill with firearms (she was/is an Olympic-level marksman).

I agree here. I could see both of them winning' date=' that was part of the tension of the battle. And I didn't wait either to lose, but I could see no way one was not dying.[/quote']

It contributed to aking it a very intense, interesting fight scene, one of the better ones in the series, IMO.

Rough Draft of Balalakia

Balalakia
Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes
15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [3]
18	DEX	24	13-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
15	CON	10	12-
11	BODY	2	11-
18	INT	8	13-	PER Roll 13-
17	EGO	14	12-	ECV:  6
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
10	COM	0	11-

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	1		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
4	SPD	12		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
27	STUN	0	Total Characteristic Cost:  88

Movement:	Running:	7"/14"
	Leaping:	3"/6"
	Swimming:	3"/6"

Cost	Powers	END
Martial Arts:  Commando Training
Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Notes
4	Block		+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Disarm		-1	+1	Disarm; 25 STR to Disarm
4	Escape		+0	+0	30 STR vs. Grabs
3	Joint Lock	-1	-1	Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on
5	Neck Break	-1	-2	Grab One Limb; HKA 1d6 +1 , Disable
3	Punch		+1	+0	5d6 Strike

5	Cool Under Fire:  +10 PRE; Only To Defend Against Presence Attacks (-1)
17	Stechkin APS:  RKA 1d6+1, 20 Charges (+1/4), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) 
plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)	[20]
2	Move Soldier!:  Running +1" (7" total)	1
1	Movie Soldier!:  Swimming +1" (3" total)	1

Perks
1	Contact 8-
40	Hotel Moscow:  Followers (32 x 75 point base)
0	Fringe Benefit:  Captain
Notes:  Former Spetznaz Captain, rank only applicable to memebers of Hotel Moscow
5	Fringe Benefit:  Leader Of Hotel Moscow
5	Money:  Well Off
6	Reputation:  Boss Of Hotel Moscow (City Of Roanapura) 14-, +3/+3d6

Skills
4	Marksmanship:  +2 with SVD Dragunov
3	Climbing 13-
2	KS: Spetznaz History And Customs 11-
2	KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 11-
2	Navigation (Land) 13-
1	PS: Ex-Speztnaz Officer 8-
3	Stealth 13-
6	Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain) 13-
3	TF:  Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3	Tactics 13-
3	Tracking 13-
6	WF:  Small Arms, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Knives, Shoulder-Fired Weapons
0	Language:  Russian (idiomatic; literate)
3	Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
1	Language:  Japanese (basic conversation)
2	CK: Roanapura, Thailand 11-
2	KS: Roanapura Underworld 11-
3	Demolitions 13-
2	PS: Video Editing 11-
3	Fast Draw (Pistols) 13-
1	AK: Afghanistan 8-
2	KS: Soviet War In Afghanistan 11-
3	Oratory 13-
3	Concealment 13-
3	High Society 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  171
Total Cost:  259

100+	Disadvantages
10	Distinctive Features:  "Fry Face" -- Burn Scars On Face And Body (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; 
Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5	Distinctive Features:  Smokes Constantly (usually cigars) (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By 
Commonly-Used Senses)
5	Distinctive Features:  Spetznaz Uniform Overcoat (she wears virtually everywhere) (Easily Concealed; Noticed and 
Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
20	Psychological Limitation:  Loyal To Her Own (Common, Total)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Totally Ruthless (Very Common, Strong)
99	Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points:  60

Background/History:  

Personality/Motivation:  

Quote:  

Powers/Tactics:  

Campaign Use:  

Appearance:  

Any opinions? I still need to add her skill with firearms (she was/is an Olympic-level marksman).

I think its looks good. Solid combatant but not bordering on (or edging into) superhuman like the more combat oriented character, tough, impressive and intelligent with lots of skills nd connections. Did she seems to have some degree of diplomatic immunity in Japan or am I misremembering something?

I'd suggest a psych lim that describes of her love warfare and violence. She's seems to crave it and sees almost everything in miltary terms.

I don't know if I'd call her the "Leader of Hotel Moscow" she seems to take orders from higher up. She is more of a regional commander. Definitely a high ranking member of the organization but not its leader.

All in all a pretty good write-up. :thumbup:

I'd suggest a psych lim that describes of her love warfare and violence. She's seems to crave it and sees almost everything in miltary terms.

I don't think she "loves" warfare and violence as much as she sees it as an expedient method to achieve her goals. I think that she is sort of resigned to the fact that using violence will often get the job done most effectively. In the episode with the death of one of the twins she didn't seem to relish the violent means used, she just realized that that was the way it had to be. Even if she didn't seem to enjoy the spectacle of the child's death she knew that there was no other realistic solution. IMO she is closer to being amoral than anything.

\

I don't think she "loves" warfare and violence as much as she sees it as an expedient method to achieve her goals. I think that she is sort of resigned to the fact that using violence will often get the job done most effectively. In the episode with the death of one of the twins she didn't seem to relish the violent means used, she just realized that that was the way it had to be. Even if she didn't seem to enjoy the spectacle of the child's death she knew that there was no other realistic solution. IMO she is closer to being amoral than anything.

I don't think she reveled in that incident either but that was an extreme case. She's not a sadist but in the later episodes I got the strong impresson she went for the more violent route because she likes it, she likes the thrill and has become somehat addicted to it. At others points, she's seems to relish the idea that a violent conflict is coming more than being resigned to it. Or that's the impression I have the character's actions.

Re: Balalaika.

I think she can be sadistic. With Hansel (er..well..Gretal I suppose) she made a point of letting him die slowly and watching. Now, the twins had attacked Hotel Moscow. but if it was a matter of efficiency, one shot would have done it.

I think she's very comfortable using violence. I'm not sure how much of an emotional thrill she gets from it as much as she enjoys the challenge. she does seem terribly pleased Rock goes over to the darkside when it comes to destroying the Washime group, though.

I was going to comment her shooting skills were incomplete, but looking at the post a second time that's covered. She's a good shooter, or was at least. I doubt she's a match for Revy in that area now. She mostly lets other people do the shooting now it seems.

Based on the adventure in Japan, she seems to be an important part of Hotel Moscow but not the leader. If I recall right, she mentions Moscow sending someone else to take over once she leaves.

I think its looks good. Solid combatant but not bordering on (or edging into) superhuman like the more combat oriented character, tough, impressive and intelligent with lots of skills nd connections. Did she seems to have some degree of diplomatic immunity in Japan or am I misremembering something?

I need to add "Well Connected" and a note about her having a base and assorted vehicles (witness the ship they had in the last episodes). Her diplomatic immunity may have just been fast talk and her high PRE. She was an excellent marksman, and needs some Range Mod levels with fireams (must Set and Brace) or some such.

I think in fact her "Totally Ruthless" psych covers her "love of warfare and violence."

I don't know if I'd call her the "Leader of Hotel Moscow" she seems to take orders from higher up. She is more of a regional commander. Definitely a high ranking member of the organization but not its leader.

I'll kick it down a notch.

She was an excellent marksman, and needs some Range Mod levels with fireams (must Set and Brace) or some such.

I figured you were going to add such since you noted when saying it was a first draft.

I think in fact her "Totally Ruthless" psych covers her "love of warfare and violence."

Fair enough, it just seemed to be her preferen more than something she'd do without hesitation.

I have a finished Balalakia (sans flavor text) that totals 340. I used Dark Champions to fill out her character sheet, adding in some of the super-skills/powers to represent her various skills and abilities.

I predict Revy to be 350-400, if only due to her phenomenal gun combat skills.