Susano

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Dark Champions the Anime Series

I was taken to a Japanese bookstore here in Sydney (it's huge!). Among the untranslated manga I found (drum roll please...) Volumes 1-5 of Black Lagoon! So I now have the full run of Black Lagoon manga... in Japanese.

The guy at the counter warned me it wasn't in English, I told him "I know, but I know the basic story due to having seen the anime, and I love the art."

• 2 years later...

Word of God says that the twins are both girls. Make of that what you will.

Also, Volume 7 of the manga seems to confirm that the Church of Violence is a CIA front and that Eda is a Deep Cover agent.

Okay, picked up Volume 7 from the store and then read a quite a few scanlation chapters on line. Eda is still CIA and is working as Deep Cover in Roanpur. Volume 7 and 8 will concern Roberta's Roaring Rampage for Revenge after a US-backed operation kills Lovelace the elder. I might have to up her STR after she fires a Barret .50 one-handed. Revy teams up with Shenhua, Sawyer, and Rotton (who's an idiot) to track down Roberta and re-unite her with Lovelace the younger and Fabiola, the other combat maid.

So far, it hasn't gone well.

I'll be writing up Fabiola at some point (twin shotguns, Capoeria) and will probably be expanding Eda's character sheet a bit.

• 2 months later...

Some further notes --

It seems the Vampire Twins are boy and girl... but have been swapping roles so long, they don't recall who is who....

Dutch seems to have lied about some or all of his military experience. A US special forces operative asked him some questions and then noted the answers weren't correct.

Eda needs to be re-written a bit to account for things she's been seen to do recently. Also, Roberta needs some reworking.

Someone told me the creator of Black Lagoon bases female power on breast size. Balalaika has the largest bust of any of the warrior women... she has the most power.

Hm' date=' is the Black Lagoon manga available in stores? I tried checking out online stores without much luck. Nice to see the first vol of the anime getting a release date.[/quote']

This was asked a couple of pages back and since your characters made me curious I went out and did some searching.

The Manga is aviable as a Fantranslation for free, and I spend a lot of time reading it.

This is what I found: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/black_lagoon

Hope it helps.

ROCK

(Rokurou Okajima)

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
9	STR	-1	11-	Lift 87.1 kg; 1 1/2d6 HTH Damage [2]
13	DEX	9	12-	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
11	CON	2	11-
10	BODY	0	11-
18	INT	8	13-	PER Roll 13-/14-
14	EGO	8	12-	ECV:  5
10	PRE	0	11-	PRE Attack:  2d6
14	COM	2	12-

4	PD	2		Total:  4 PD (0 rPD)
4	ED	2		Total:  4 ED (0 rED)
3	SPD	7		Phases:  4, 8, 12
4	REC	0
22	END	0
21	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  39

Movement:[/b]	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	1"/2"
Swimming:	2"/4"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
7	[b]Can Handle His Booze:[/b]  +10 CON; Only For Resisting The Effects Of Intoxication (-2)
5	[b]"Villain In Training":[/b]  +10 PRE; Only To Defend Against Presence Attacks (-1)
1	[b]Sharp Ears:[/b]  +1 PER with Normal Hearing

[b]Perks[/b]
1	Favor from Balalaika

[b]Skills[/b]
10	[b]Understands The World Of Business:[/b]  +2 with Interaction Skills

3	Bureaucratics 11-
3	Combat Driving 12-
Notes:  Used with automobile.
1	Computer Programming (Personal Computers) 8-
3	Conversation 11-
5	Deduction 14-
3	CK: Roanapura, Thailand 13-
2	CK: Tokyo 11-
3	Persuasion 11-
2	PS: Salariman (for Asahi Heavy Industries) 11-
3	SS:  Geology (specifically rare earths and rare earth metals) 13-
2	SS:  Mathmatics 11-
1	Streetwise 8-
3	Trading 11-
2	TF:  SCUBA, Small Motorized Boats, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3	Linguist
2	1)  Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
1	2)  Language:  Italian (basic conversation; literate)
0	3)  Language:  Japanese (idiomatic; literate)
1	4)  Language:  Spanish (fluent conversation; literate)
3	Scholar
2	1)  KS: Rare Earths/Elements Of The Periodic Table 13-
1	2)  KS: Roanapura Underworld 11-
2	3)  KS: Tea 13-
2	4)  KS: The Business World 13-
2	5)  KS: The Loveless Family 13-
[b]79	Total Powers & Skills Cost
118	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Distinctive Features:  "Different"/Out Of His Realm (Not Concealable; Noticed and 
Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
5	Hunted:  Other Criminal Factions in Roanapura 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical 
Area, Watching)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Psychological Limitation:  Tries To Adhere To A Moral Code (Common, Strong)
5	Social Limitation:  Decalred Dead In Japan (Occasionally, Minor)
13	[b]Experience
118	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

(Rock created by Rei Hiore, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Based on his confrontation with Revy in Calm Down Two Men, I think that Rock is a bit tougher than this. He was able to grab her gun before she got off her shot, and when she punched him in the face he didn't even flinch.

Based on his confrontation with Revy in Calm Down Two Men' date=' I think that Rock is a bit tougher than this. He was able to grab her gun before she got off her shot, and when she punched him in the face he didn't even flinch.[/quote']

I am not as versed in Black lagoon as you guys, as I have only seen the first season anime. However, I get the feeling that Rock has some sort of low-level VPP of super-skills based on luck (or writer's fiat) that allows him to keep up with the others. He is after all the most realistic character on the show, yet he survives alongside Revy, who is clearly superhuman. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, referring to the PT Boat, its an early 41/42 model because it has the launch tubes, which were replaced in late 42 with racks that you rolled the torpedos over the side with. The engines were 1200hp models that ran on aviation fuel. In 43 they went to 1350hp models, and in 45 they went to 1600hp.

Also, the controls are now enclosed in a room that has a chair. no PT's had this. All helmsmen were standing in a small area behind the forward cabin. go to www.pt103.com for full specs on boat, and even found a site where I got a map of the boat. which actually had a second level and a third that was a crawlspace for wiring and lines running under the second level. I agree it may be a Higgins also, but not for sure. Elco,Higgins and Huckins were awarded contracts at same time, so could be either. Torpedos would be 21" MarkVIII type for tubes, not 21" MarkXIII which were only installed at end of the war models that were rolled off rack. The MarkVIII's had a range of 16,000yds at 36knots. The boat had a rated speed of 45knots but due to armanant weight, normally was 40knots. Theres a list of mods done during the years that could narrow it down, but doubt drawers got that technical. Like the helm for instance. It still looks cool though.

A good selection of characters. Will you do a World Book as well?

What about the boat? I may see what I can do towards writing it up. It looks like an old WWII PT boat. I have been doing a little research and the Black Lagoon seems to most likely be a 78' Higgins design. A late war design of which hundreds were built.

The guns have been removed, I guess to keep them from being so obviously armed and thereby keeping them from drawing unwanted official attention from the various legitimate navies and coast guards. The four canister torpedo tubes have been left on. I wonder if they only had the two forward tubes loaded? I wonder if they ever reloaded them? The boat has 4 tubes and could have up to four torpedoes but they may be empty now. Finding replacements that would work with those tubes would probably be very difficult.

Other problems:

• These boats were wooden. High maintenance. But from the amount of shooting that occurs on board the Black Lagoon it seems more like it is metal. Perhaps it has had major, inobvious refitting done.
  • A 78' Higgins-design had three 1500 hp gasoline powered engines. These could push the boat at up to 40 knots. However it also consumed 292 gallons of 100-octane fuel per hour. Very expensive to operate. And a lucky hit could easily set the boat afire. Perhaps they have refitted to diesel engines, less top speed but much more economical.
  • Bennie's electronics, the radio, navigation gear and radar mean that the boat has had a completely new electrical system installed.
  • That wooden hull would mean frequent dry docking for hull maintenance. To make the boat feasible to operate it is almost more reasonable to say it is a metal/fiberglass replica of an original WWII PT Boat with all the new tech installed. But that poses the question of where on earth did Dutch get such a boat?

• 7 months later...

Good news all, I just heard that season 3 of Black Lagoon has started! I highly suspect it'll be almost totally devoted to the El Baile de La Muerte arc, in which events cause Roberta to go berserk!

Good news all' date=' I just heard that season 3 of Black Lagoon has started! I highly suspect it'll be almost totally devoted to the [i']El Baile de La Muerte[/i] arc, in which events cause Roberta to go berserk!

WOOT!!! I'll be watching for that DVD release. Thanks for keeping us posted.