Dark Champions the Anime Series

Susano

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dark Champions the Anime Series

This is a perfect example of Dark Champion's "Gun Strength" as that is a M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle Gretel is holding there.

That was my thought too... Black Lagoon is a perfect setting for talents like that. Another example is Yolanda, apparently an elderly woman, firing a Desert Eagle...one handed.

"Gun Muscle" not "Gun Strength" a couple of the characters in my campaign have it.

Sorry, just my retentive self bubbling to the surface.

No problem. I wasn't looking in the book anyway.

Actually, with Hansel and Gretel, it's going to be called "Weapon Muscle" as it also allows them to hurl those battle-axes around.

Oh, and Hansel and Gretel will be one character sheet. I'm not even going to try and determine what powers each one has. For all intents and purposes, they are totally identical. They are also creepy as all hell.

Some observations about Revy --

She grew up on the streets and presumably ran with the gangs (she mentions getting beaten by the cops for something she didn't do). She was involved in all sorts of violence from a young age (she mentions theft, murders, and assorted mayhem), and at some point killed someone by putting a snub-nosed revolver up to a pillow over their head and pulling the trigger (hence the feathers). Somewhere in all of this she started to practice with a gun down on Mott Street (a real NYC location). She was then arrested (possibly for murder and attempted murder) and sent to prison. I'm betting that's when she got the tattoo and long hair (flashbacks show her with short hair and multiple earrings).

Later, she left the country and fled, ending up in Thailand, where she learned gunfighting from Mr. Chan and was hired by Dutch to be Lagoon Courier's muscle. She saved Bennie from getting killed by the Mafia (in Florida? or Thailand?) and he joined the crew.

There you go.

I started writing the text part of Revy's character sheet during a slow spot at work. Here's what I've done:

Background/History:

As with most of the members of Lagoon Couriers, we known precious little about Revy's origins. Comments by Revy, as well as small snippets in the anime (and I presume in the manga) gives us the occasional glimpse, however, allowing the following profile of Revy's early years to be built --

Rebecca/Revy grew up in New York City and apparently was a street kid from an early age, running with the gangs and generally raising hell. It wasn't an easy life (Revy mentions getting beaten by the police at one point for something she didn't do) and impressed on her the value of money and power, and how money often equals power (as well as how power usually gets one money). We can only guess at the violence Revy saw and/or was part of, as at one point she rather offhand mentions killing, stealing, and so on to Rock. At some point she started practicing with handguns, firing at cans and the like down on Mott Street (a real NYC street located just north of Chinatown). All of these elements came to a head when she murdered someone by placing a pillow over their body, pressing a snub-nosed revolver to it and pulling the trigger (hence the feathers in the opening credits).

Afterwards (I presume), Revy was arrested (for murder and attempted murder), tried, convicted, and sent to prison. This is when I am guessing she gained the tattoo and long hair, as flashbacks of her in New York on Mott Street and standing over her murder victim show her with short, collar-length hair.

Once Revy was released I can only presume she then decided to leave New York and the United States behind. Somehow she ended up in Thailand and the city of Roanpura, where she learned gunfighting from Mr. Chan and eventually was hired Dutch to be Lagoon Courier's muscle.

Appearance:

Revy is a Chinese-American woman who is probably only in her mid-twenties. She stands around 5'4" or so with a trim build but still curvy build that she manages to maintain despite a diet that apparently consists only of alcohol, cigarettes, and take-out pizza. She has dark purplish hair, an intricate "tribal" tattoo on her right shoulder and upper arm, and dresses in unlaced combat boots, partially undone Daisy Dukes held in place by a military web-belt, a short black tank-top, and a two-gun shoulder holster that contains her twin 9mm "Sword Cutlass" automatic pistols.

Once Revy was released I can only presume she then decided to leave New York and the United States behind. Somehow she ended up in Thailand and the city of Roanpura, where she learned gunfighting from Mr. Chan and eventually was hired Dutch to be Lagoon Courier's muscle.

You seem to have omitted the word "by"...

"...and eventually was hired by Dutch to be Lagoon..."

Of course the guns she is using are silver (probably nickel) Beretta Model 92F (or FS) pistols. They have ivory or pearl grips with the pirate logo of Calico Jack on them (skull with crossed cutlasses). The engraving on the pistols is in Thai so they may be a locally produced knock-off of Berettas or, at least the custom work was done locally. The pistols are in the standard 9mm x 19mm Parabellum caliber.

EDIT: I'd guess that since Mr. Chan taught her gunfighting he had the connections to put her in touch with a good gunsmith or he got her the guns himself.

I got the idea (I have no idea where) that Revy came from an abusive childhood. Perhaps one of her murders was a parent. But like I said I have no recollection of where I got that idea (probably imagined it).

Some campaign use comments I wrote on the wonderful vampire twins...

Designer's Notes:

Hansel and Gretel, the vampire twins, have to be two of the most disturbing characters I've ever encountered in any media. They are true sociopaths, having little to no compassion for others (as well as an unhealthy attraction to each other), and will gladly kill, dismember, and torture virtually anyone merely for the sheer joy of it. Thus, any GM really needs to carefully consider if introducing such characters is something his campaign and players can handle. Partially due to the twins' sheer evilness and partially due to the fact the twins aren't grown people, but roughly 10 year-old children. The twins aren't redeemable (not any more), and odds are the only choice any PCs in a Dark Champions game will have when dealing with then will involve bullets and blood. By the same token, any GM who choses to use Hansel and Gretel in his game needs to resist any temptation to give the twins' a "lighter" side. They should be presented as the frightening, death-dealing monsters they really are, who combine almost angelic looks and manners with a virtually demonic thirst for blood and pain.

You seem to have omitted the word "by"...

"...and eventually was hired by Dutch to be Lagoon..."

Fixed.

Of course the guns she is using are silver (probably nickel) Beretta Model 92F (or FS) pistols. They have ivory or pearl grips with the pirate logo of Calico Jack on them (skull with crossed cutlasses). The engraving on the pistols is in Thai so they may be a locally produced knock-off of Berettas or, at least the custom work was done locally. The pistols are in the standard 9mm x 19mm Parabellum caliber.

Yeah, I know. I have a scan of a manga cover that shows all the guns (and other weapons) the major characters uses (Eda, Revy, Balalaika, Shenhua, and Roberta), so will simply look them up in DC and create the stats.

I got the idea (I have no idea where) that Revy came from an abusive childhood. Perhaps one of her murders was a parent. But like I said I have no recollection of where I got that idea (probably imagined it).

Hunh.... she never, ever mentions any parents, so I can't say for sure.

Revi cosplayer. Pretty accurate IMO:

http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=22299&c=8058

I got the same feeling of an abused background as Edsel and Nexus. I think from the body language in the scene on the sub, and the intimacy of the dingy bedroom location in the flashback. I think those cues were deliberately shown to indicate some form of abuse, though whether it was patricide or not would be up in the air.

Hm' date=' is the Black Lagoon manga available in stores? I tried checking out online stores without much luck. Nice to see the first vol of the anime getting a release date.[/quote']

At the moment, not that I know of.

As far as I have been able to determine no US publisher has picked up the title yet. The anime will be released in the US by Geneon starting in April. If it works like it usually does with these things a publisher will pickup the manga if the anime becomes popular.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to ep 19 of Black Lagoon. Very interesting stuff. The first season was more about the team with Rock trying to fit in and gradually become much more about Rock and Revy. In the second season it's more about Revy, though Rock is having his moments as well. At times the other members of the time fade far into the background. I think Eda has more screen time then Dutch or Benny in season 2.

Hansel and Gretel were truly creepy. Once you start finding out about them, it stays creepy but very sad as well. As Hannibal Lecter might say, they were not born killers.

Roanapra sounds like a fun place. I definitely have to find a way to use it in my game sometime.

I'm still stuck at episode 18-19 with my note taking and second viewings. Here at NASA HQ we have multiple projects going, with are causing 10 hour days and weekends. I'll see what I can do, though. Watching BL and taking notes might be a good way to unwind in after work.

That, and once I get done, I'll be able to bring in a notebook to work and compile my notes during lunch and the like.

Just finished 23 and 24 finally. Wow. The final battle really had me on the edge of my seat, and did have me second guessing who I thought would win. Gin and Revy are both badass. And we finally get to see Rock not wearing a tie. Nice to see Eda sneaking in a fast appearance as well at the end. Can't wait to see the write ups.

Just finished 23 and 24 finally. Wow. The final battle really had me on the edge of my seat' date=' and did have me second guessing who I thought would win. Gin and Revy are both badass. And we finally get to see Rock not wearing a tie. Nice to see Eda sneaking in a fast appearance as well at the end. Can't wait to see the write ups.[/quote']

What got me about about the battle between Revy and Gin was that I wasn't sure who I wanted to win.