Dark Champions the Anime Series

Susano

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dark Champions the Anime Series

Here's how I'm going to do it...

(all of a sudden I feel like OJ Simpson....)

Anyway... I'm going to read all the Black Lagoon manga I have (10 chapters), and then start watching the anime from episode 1 again.

I'll take notes as I go, and then combine everything into character sheets. Right now I'm Chapter 5 of the manga and have about 5 pages of notes, so this is looking somewhat series! I'm also going to look at the Ultimate Skill for certain things, to try and simulate some of what the cast can do, as well as Dark Champions for a lot of Super Skills, powers, and packages for the characters (example: Balalakia is ex-Spetznatz, so she gets various army packages).

What say?

Anyway... I'm going to read all the Black Lagoon manga I have (10 chapters), and then start watching the anime from episode 1 again.

I'll take notes as I go, and then combine everything into character sheets. Right now I'm Chapter 5 of the manga and have about 5 pages of notes, so this is looking somewhat series! I'm also going to look at the Ultimate Skill for certain things, to try and simulate some of what the cast can do, as well as Dark Champions for a lot of Super Skills, powers, and packages for the characters (example: Balalakia is ex-Spetznatz, so she gets various army packages).

What say?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm always impressed with the sheer amount of work you put in your write up and world design.

What say?

Sounds like a good plan. Pretty much the same sort of method that I'd use.

I'm starting to have similar feelings for the Dies The Fire post-apoc trilogy by S. M. Stirling, now that I'm five chapters deep in the last book. No promises, since I'm already running another group (using FUDGE rules) in the same universe, but we'll see how my free time shakes out once I shake this stupid sinus infection and actually feel like my peppy old self again.

Matt "Everyone-says-they-hate-being-sick-because-it's-true" Frisbee

In case anyone is wondering, here's the newspaper from the opening credits:

ROANAPURA NEWS

Wednesday, November 2

At least 5 dead, 2 wounded in nightclub shooting

Gunshots Echo Through The [???]

A Fierce Four-Hour Gun Battle -- A Bar Burnt And Destroyed

The text is rather funny, it's an article on the latest round of North Korea nuclear weapons talks.

Some other newspaper head lines are:

Activities Of Hotel Moscow

Roanapura is the shady worlds of crime and drugs.

MURDER: A daily occurrence here in Roanapura.

Murder? That's an [unknown words]

Revy arrested for murder and attempted murder

U-BOAT 1324 Found In Deep Sea: Lagoon Company to undertake salvage operations.

The colors approximate what's used in the opening credits.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to Episode 12.

Roberta has a STR of 25-30. And I'm thinking 30. She also needs some sort of Power with the SFX of "What is she, the freaking Terminator?" that lets her survive exploding buildings, car crashes, and being tossed into steel shipping containers.

I'm also going to discount the entire Revy/Roberta "fight" as it is totally out of whack with everything else, and would throw R&R's stats way off.

Up to Episode 12.

Roberta has a STR of 25-30. And I'm thinking 30. She also needs some sort of Power with the SFX of "What is she, the freaking Terminator?" that lets her survive exploding buildings, car crashes, and being tossed into steel shipping containers.

Damage Reduction?

Damage Reduction?

She has that -- STUN only, at least. But she bounces back **fast** and walks out of the Yellow Flag totally untouched.

Revy has Combat Luck, since Roberta only winged her.

Oh, and Roberta's gunfight in the bar is just loaded with homages to Desperado, while the scene of Roberta and Revy on the ground, guns pointed at each other, is taken directly from John Woo's The Killer.

I'd give her insanely high Con' date=' Body and Stun. Along with the DR that should give her the "unstoppable" feel, IMO. Emerging unscathed could just be a shtick.[/quote']

True. Either that for 3-4d6 of Cosmetic Transform "Permanent Dry Cleaning"

I think I've located Revy's home stomping grounds. In Episode 12 the CIA agent mentions the "chief at Buffalo Hill and the NYPD 27th precinct."

As near as I can tell, there is no 27th precinct. It's used in Law and Order for a police officer character, and the 26th & 28th precinct border the north end of Central Park. Specifically Cathedral Parkway, Central Park N, and W 133 & W 127th Streets.

I can't find Buffalo Hill, which may or may not be a neighborhood, or a street.

Oh, and Shenhua's dialogue just cracks me up.

Talking with my friend Grady (who's seen all of the episodes as well), we agree that many of the characters in BL have a lot of the "super skills" shown in Dark Champions, which is what I'll be using to build them, of course.

Some, in fact, are almost perfect for Revy's gun-fighting skills.