Coming back to HERO...

JimLotFP

'allo!

So I decided to get back into HERO. I'm a Champions player from the late 80s-early 90s (3rd and 4th editions), did not a lot of gaming at all for over ten years, and finally got back into things and I'm running an AD&D 1E game right now. That campaign should/will be wrapping up in April hopefully, and I want to do superheroes again!

Treated myself for my 32nd birthday. Here's what I ordered yesterday (jumping in with both feet):

HERO System 5th Ed Revised

Bestiary

Vehicle Sourcebook

Gadgets and Gear

UNTIL Superpowers Database I & II

Ultimate Skill

Equipment Guide

Ultimate Vehicle

It's being shipped to me here in Finland by M-Bag so it won't arrive until mid-March, probably. So no distractions from the current gaming activities. :)

Now, I'm worried about a few things. Game play shouldn't be a problem. I know HERO is fiddly (I read through the current rules before leaving the States) with lots to keep track of, but I use the Weapon vs AC Value and make everyone keep strict records of encumbrance so that shouldn't be a problem.

Character creation I'm expecting to be a nightmare, haha. Takes these people an hour each to make an AD&D character. A HERO character will be an all-day thing! That's kind of why I chose to buy the books I did... I was as much pre-built stuff for them to choose from as possible.

I do have some questions though:

I currently have 8 players in the D&D group (plus me as DM), most show up every week. I'm guessing that would be a real nightmare in HERO as far as lag during play. What do you guys find is the "sweet spot" for a number of players for smooth play?

I plan to use hex maps for combat. Any good resources for generic location maps?

Would investing in a Sidekick for use as a "Player reference" during actual play be a good idea?

I'm already thinking of villains and plots. Most I already have general ideas for, but I have one great idea (that I fear I'm ripping something off but I can't think of what):

A kid whose nightmares come alive. He doesn't know he's doing it, he doesn't control it at all, and the manifestations become real. The idea is that he's a sci-fi/horror nut, and there's a weeklong film festival happening at some tiny theater in town... Alien, Terminator, Night of the Living Dead, (some superhero movie here so the PCs can fight a "real" supervillain) with the idea that the movie to play at the end of the week is Godzilla so the PCs need to figure out what's going on fast or else there will be a rather large problem... what direction should I start looking rules-wise in to build such a character?

... and of course, any other general advice you may have for someone 15 years out of the HERO loop?

Re: Coming back to HERO...

I know some people run huge games with 12+ people, so the lag question is difficult to answer. It also depends a lot how detailed you run combat. Anyway, I find 5-6 players ideal, but that has more to do with the screen time for each PC rather than combat.

For hex maps, I'm sure there are many other sources, here's a link to my site where I am storing many hex maps from others from these boards as well as my own. http://www.realschluss.org/mapping_resources/index.html

I think the player/GM screen package, if that's still on the store, would be the best resource for quick during-play reference, probably better than Sidekick if that's really all you're doing for it. Sidekick would be best for players who want to sink their teeth into character creation and so on but don't want to invest (whether time or money) in the whole book.

For plots and other ideas, check out the genra fora on this site. As to how to build the character, it's a bit vague as to your question. I'd suggest giving some more details as to what you are uncertain about re building the character, sorry, hard for me to answer otherwise.

PS - welcome back! :)

Welcome Valkyrie... er, JimLotFP!

'allo!

So I decided to get back into HERO. I'm a Champions player from the late 80s-early 90s (3rd and 4th editions), did not a lot of gaming at all for over ten years, and finally got back into things and I'm running an AD&D 1E game right now. That campaign should/will be wrapping up in April hopefully, and I want to do superheroes again!

Treated myself for my 32nd birthday. Here's what I ordered yesterday (jumping in with both feet):

Bestiary

Vehicle Sourcebook

Gadgets and Gear

Ultimate Skill

Equipment Guide

Ultimate Vehicle

This looks good, but what genre and power level are you playing at? Supers? 350 points? Pulp? 100 points?

Now, I'm worried about a few things. Game play shouldn't be a problem. I know HERO is fiddly (I read through the current rules before leaving the States) with lots to keep track of, but I use the Weapon vs AC Value and make everyone keep strict records of encumbrance so that shouldn't be a problem.

Best to start easy. Keep beginning builds easy. Don't go hog wild with the Limitations and Advantages. Skip tracking Endurance, knock back, hit locations and maybe a couple of other things. As you and the players get more comfortable, add those things back in if they fit your genre.

Character creation I'm expecting to be a nightmare, haha. Takes these people an hour each to make an AD&D character. A HERO character will be an all-day thing! That's kind of why I chose to buy the books I did... I was as much pre-built stuff for them to choose from as possible.

Keep the builds simple. You can hold back a few experience points, then dole them out later, and let people improve/expand/change stuff around. This allows players who weren't familiar with the system to fine tune their character as they learn.

I plan to use hex maps for combat. Any good resources for generic location maps?

There's some in the Free Stuff section on the HERO Games website, and a company makes "battlemats" in hex metric sizes.

Would investing in a Sidekick for use as a "Player reference" during actual play be a good idea?

Yes!

A kid whose nightmares come alive. He doesn't know he's doing it, he doesn't control it at all, and the manifestations become real. The idea is that he's a sci-fi/horror nut, and there's a weeklong film festival happening at some tiny theater in town... Alien, Terminator, Night of the Living Dead, (some superhero movie here so the PCs can fight a "real" supervillain) with the idea that the movie to play at the end of the week is Godzilla so the PCs need to figure out what's going on fast or else there will be a rather large problem... what direction should I start looking rules-wise in to build such a character?

Don't worry about rules for an NPC. Just make up the monsters he creates and go from there. The kid is a total plot device at this point.

This is a great first adventure btw. It's an easy, straight up fight for the PCs. No moral quandaries are involved. Just make sure the kid has an easy out once the PCs find the real source. Killing a kid on your first adventure would just suck.

I would definitely echo the Hero Designer suggestion. For me, it's useful enough that I've required all my players to purchase it. Not only does it help speed up builds, but it eliminates math errors. Also pay attention to your export template. A common impulse (at least among my players) is to go for the shortest sheets, but sheets with extra charts can be quite handy. Easier to look on pg. 2 of your character sheet for a maneuver's modifiers than in 5ER or the Combat Handbook.

A kid whose nightmares come alive. He doesn't know he's doing it' date=' he doesn't control it at all, and the manifestations become real. The idea is that he's a sci-fi/horror nut, and there's a weeklong film festival happening at some tiny theater in town... Alien, Terminator, Night of the Living Dead, (some superhero movie here so the PCs can fight a "real" supervillain) with the idea that the movie to play at the end of the week is Godzilla so the PCs need to figure out what's going on fast or else there will be a rather large problem... what direction should I start looking rules-wise in to build such a character?[/quote']I did something like this years ago, except the kid was a sci-fi geek. So the heroes found themselves fighting Darth Vader, Christopher Reeves as Superman, and the Power Rangers - all with the appropriate powers. :eek:

To add a bit of personal interest, I had the kid be the grand-nephew of one of the heroes and the kid was in a coma in the hospital. The creations only occurred when he went into REM sleep. The problem was ultimately solved by brain surgery (by another team member; a brilliant surgeon).

As my fellow board lords know, I joined here only about a year (Heavens, has it been that long?) ago. I can discuss some of what you're asking with a reasonable facsimile of intelligence.

First:

I rarely say must, but Ghost Angel and I agree on this whole-heartedly, you must own a copy of the Hero Combat Handbook - it gets more face time than some of my players, because it's almost ALWAYS handy in one way or another.

Second. You're doing the 'kid summons monsters' genre trope, which is very cool. There are a lot of ways to build it; one you might want to consider is this:

The "heroes" start off their lives as normals (White Event trope) who are selected through the kid's own personal power, and contaminated with it, thus simultaneously becoming part of the disease, and part of the cure. You can use this to justify a certain starting cap - you might want to have everyone build a 'base' character on 50+50, and then build on their idea of a 'supers' package to add to it over time.

This gives you the advantage of seeing how things work, how those powers affect gameplay, and if a PC really hates what they built, they can make with the retcon fairly easily - you'd be transitioning them into a modular version of HERO, which the system can handle with its eyes shut. Just most people don't think to do it this way.

With both USPDs, you'll have no problem pulling out powers that are appropriate, and most importantly, you can use this time to focus on concept and character development (not 'mechanical development,' but actual characters with intelligently built and designed powers).

Have some rep, beware the NGD, and so no one thinks I'm slipping:

I am the Lord Captain Thia Halmades. I'm familiar with just about every genre, specializing in Fantasy & Horror (hence, a lot of my super-hero stuff is very character-driven and a little too grey for most folks; sort of 'super hero noir'). Wow. Note to self: write DH article on Super Hero Noir.

Where's my hat?

'allo!

Bestiary

Vehicle Sourcebook

Gadgets and Gear

Ultimate Skill

Equipment Guide

Ultimate Vehicle

It's being shipped to me here in Finland by M-Bag so it won't arrive until mid-March, probably. So no distractions from the current gaming activities. :)

I do have some questions though:

I currently have 8 players in the D&D group (plus me as DM), most show up every week. I'm guessing that would be a real nightmare in HERO as far as lag during play. What do you guys find is the "sweet spot" for a number of players for smooth play?

I'm already thinking of villains and plots. Most I already have general ideas for, but I have one great idea (that I fear I'm ripping something off but I can't think of what):

... and of course, any other general advice you may have for someone 15 years out of the HERO loop?

I think anything in the 4-7 player range is pretty doable. The key thing is to have everyone's SPD, DEX, EGO and any other key stats handy. If you have a SPD chart with all the heroes and villains listed in order from fastest down to slowest, it helps speed things up a lot. Also, if you use the hex map, I found that coding the bases helps a LOT. I use blue for heroes and red for villains. That way, everyone can quickly tell where their potential targets are and who is fighting the most bad guys and needs the most help. In fact, I find that players often have targets picked out by the time their turn comes up, which further speeds things along.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Some followup:

It will be a superhero genre game. Sorry, I still think of Hero in terms of "the latest edition of Champions"... :)

I've ordered a copy of the Sidekick, plus a new set of 36 d6s. These are not coming slow-boat so hopefully I will have them by Christmas.

System Resource Kit seems like a no-brainer but that has to wait a bit now with the way I'm able to order online... Considering the Combat Handbook, and the Hero Designer sounds like a must-purchase down the line. Is there any reason at all to buy the physical-CD instead of the download for Hero Designer?

Still not sure about the number of players... I haven't run this whole HERO thing by my players yet so maybe a few will drop off once I utter the words "HERO System" and "superheroes." In the perfect world, the cool people will go "COOL!" and the less-cooler people will go "ack!", but with my luck it will be just the opposite. hehe.

However many end up playing, I already have an idea for ease of play. The seating arrangement at the table will be based on their characters' Speed scores.

As far as the game itself, maybe I was premature in asking for build help on the first "villain"... should wait for the books and give it a few goes myself and ask for advice based on stuff I've actually tinkered with. :)

I am considering doing the whole "Teen Champions" thing since my villain ideas are all kids/early teens right now. How about the villainous vandal youth gang Myspace (Superpower: Can make anyone be his friend!), Skater Boi (rocket powered skateboard), Dungeon Master (powers emulate class abilities from AD&D!), and Kid Emo (shoots a force bolt whenever he flips his hair!).

Been reading Rising Stars lately and the idea that superpowers are completely new and solely a youth phenomenon could make for an interesting game idea. No super-technology in the hands of the government, political pressure for law enforcement not to have special tactics for supers because the idea of "mobilizing against children" is cruel...

And since all of the players are European and I'm not, I also have a background idea of having all of their characters also be Europeans while the campaign takes place in the US. (whether exchange students or whatever is to be decided) That would explain away all of the mistaken assumptions about "how things are and how they are done" without me having to go "oops you're right" all the time if we set it in Finland, and prevent me from having to tell them "no, you know that isn't the case here" constantly if they were playing Americans.

Yeah, that's the beauty of the interweb. You can order it now, and have it now, and so long as you have a burner, Darren has already said that you're well within your rights to create a 'back up copy' (or for print books, a 'hard copy') of any book you purchase via CD/PDF download. For all my fancy tech (big screen TV, Xbox 360, soon to have a Wii & a PS3) I'm still a bit of a luddite. I don't trust computers to hold my information - I like things printed out. I'm weird like that.

See, I keep forgetting that the rest of you have this shiny thing you call "four color." For me, I'd take your idea and it would look like this:

Children develop super powers, and begin gang wars

Inner City, urban warfare reaches new heights as children & gang bangers are no longer afraid of the police. Hyper-Intelligent, morally ambivalent eight year olds command gangs of hardened criminals and begin to supplant the underworld.

The police are rendered "helpless" as civilians rally to insist that "this is just a phase" and more than one news reporter makes their break by catching the crying mothers screaming "DON'T HURT MY BABY!!"

The first (City) City Wars break out - these are your city of choice. For me, they would be the Philadelphia Wars, as the mafioso mobilize soldiers, favors & assassins to take down this new breed of criminal.

Laws are being structured in congress to directly deal with this new threat, including the authorization of treating super-powered children who have expressed a willingness to use their powers to promote crime be treated with the same level of force as the gang bangers they command.

Meanwhile, in a secret facility, thousands of scientists are trying to crack the code (be it genetic, super natural, magic, what have you) that has led up to this. They're doing it by any means necessary. A counter-intelligence group has instead hired children to stop them.

Soon, this phenomenon spreads around the world.

Go.

Super. Hero. Noir. Dude, I'm so writing this.

It will be a superhero genre game. Sorry' date=' I still think of Hero in terms of "the latest edition of Champions"... :)[/quote']

Then I think you should definitely add Champions to your list. You may feel that you don't need this because you used to play, but the system and the genre has grown a lot in recent years. I recommend it, and I'm an old 3rd edition player myself.

One thing Champions recommends is setting power levels for you supers campaign. Such things as Active Points, Damage Classes, PD and ED, Speed, etc. need to be defined so your players can have a target when they make their characters.

Been reading Rising Stars lately and the idea that superpowers are completely new and solely a youth phenomenon could make for an interesting game idea. No super-technology in the hands of the government, political pressure for law enforcement not to have special tactics for supers because the idea of "mobilizing against children" is cruel...

This is pretty cool, actually. There's a Teen Champions book, of course, and a short section in the main genre book Champions about teens. But this is kinda unique enough where you might be better inventing most of this campaign yourself.

Is there any reason at all to buy the physical-CD instead of the download for Hero Designer?

There is no CD for Hero Designer. It is a download only item.

Technically what you are getting is a Service Contract to download any version of the software that existed during your service contract dates (a 2 year period).

And before it's asked: Yes it works after your contract is up. No you do not need to be connected to the internet to use Hero Designer. Yes you burn a backup copy for your use. Yes you may install it for your use on all your machines. No you can't install it on anyone elses computers for their use. Yes it is the best character creation software package on the planet.

Just make sure the kid has an easy out once the PCs find the real source. Killing a kid on your first adventure would just suck.

"Have you ever wondered why the villains are always grownups? I'll tell you: it's because growing old makes you evil! That is why I have decided to kill all of them, and create a world where we're in charge."

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling adults!"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got a copy of Sidekick and my brand new set of 36 d6s... in a dice container! My wife thought I was so geeky, I took the dice out and rolled them until every die came up a 6 (had to properly prime them, you never know what kind of person with what kind of luck handled them at the factory!) and then put them back in the container all facing the same way. hehe. Hey, I haven't gotten a new set of dice in something like 15 or 16 years. Give me a break!

The good news is at my last AD&D session I announced my intentions to the players about switching to HERO when the current campaign comes to an end. The bad news is none of them thought it was a bad idea. Eight people. Ayyyyy....

So I ordered four more Sidekicks. We're going to need them. Also got the HERO Designer v3 to help things along. I bought a pdf of the System Resource Kit and have made some awesome screens based on this. I'll post a picture once the player-side's has been fully completed.

Also made a decision on maps and stuff. I have a bunch of large 1" hex-paper maps that I have NEVER USED, one of those ancient (1993 or thereabouts) "I didn't come all the way out to the game store to not buy anything" purchases. I thought they'd be perfect for the HERO setup, but... I have a better idea.

Posterboard is cheap. If I just drew the maps on the posterboard and used a ruler for distances, then it could be cool. Making a game inch equal 1/2" on the map would mean I could fit some cool locations onto the posterboard...

Because I'm using my old home of Atlanta as the campaign headquarters. The PCs will all be foreign students going to Georgia Tech. And Atlanta has some really cool locations to use as combat locations!

Spaghetti Junction: http://www.holyducttape.com/ttr/spag-junct.jpg

Five Points Station: http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/stations/maps/North-South-level.gif (not that this really shows how cool the 3-level underground rail station really is)

Not to mention places like Piedmont Park, the Georgia Dome, Lenox Mall, all the places I could sorta-kinda turn into combat maps for the game. Google Earth should at least make sure outdoor locations look reasonable on the map.

So I've gone ahead and ordered some 1/2" counters for that.

So, after looking over the Sidekick...

While it's cool that it specifies which things are in the main rulebook but not in Sidekick, it is a shame they couldn't put at least some truncated "filler" explanation in with all that blank sidebar space available. I'll tell you right now I don't expect a single player to shell out the bucks for the big book (or even a Sidekick which is why I'm getting 5 to use!). It figures that my idea for the first "villain" needs to use a power (Summon) that isn't in here, haha. No early prep for me! :P

Everything looks as simple, gameplay-wise, as I remember. Very straightforward. The issue that everyone talks about, combat taking awhile, only makes sense if you discount that in comic books, fights are rarely over that quickly. Getting in the habit of reading the rolls might take a bit, but I don't see how this combat system should take any longer than 8 mid-level PCs fighting a good challenge in AD&D.

Character creation is going to be interesting though, and is why I really bought the Sidekicks. Nobody in the group has seen a HERO book before, and many of them had never played any RPG before joining my AD&D game. It will be... interesting.

I think they will start with 150 starting points + 150 disads... and give them a bigger number of XP than normal for the first few sessions so they can customize their character as they learn the system, and when they hit 350 total give them the possibility of a "radiation accident" (GA Tech does have a reactor on campus...) if they want to do a character rewrite after playing with the system for a bit.

Any experienced player see a problem with my "unhexed, with a ruler" combat map plan? Any advice for introducing the HERO character creation concept to them?

Hmmm...

I'm not sure, as I've never introduced a brand new group to HERO before (or any game system). However...

My advice would be to briefly explain to them how character creation in HERO works. Use the example given in Sidekick under the Example Character chapter. Then, ask each player to come up with a concept for their character. You take responsibility for stating the character up with the player. Give them an idea how things actually go, and let them see how you envision the builds for each power.

That'll get them started. They may want to add some tweaks later, or even redo the character from scratch to put their own personal mark on it. But at least they'll have a PC to start with if they want.

Also, you'll need to get your campaign limits planned out. How much OCV? How much DCV? What PD and ED, and how much rPD and rED? What are the Active Point caps? etc. You may need to target one set of limits for the initial characters, then have a second limit for the final, post radiation accident, PCs.

Final thought: 150 Disads is a lot to start with. Consider dropping the starting total to 100 points in Disads, and adding 50 more points in Disads along with the radiation accident.

I know there will be people who disagree, but....

After many many disasters with brand new players I never have the players make their own PC's for the first session in a supers game. I always, and that is always make the PC's for them. After a couple of sessions, once everyone has the hang of how "their" character works, they can remodel it, keep it as is or completley chunk it and write up their own ideas.

For me the big gap in getting people hooked on Hero is the initial understanding of how to build a character. And to understand that you need to play one. Kinda a Catch 22.

Just my 2 cents....:D

Children develop super powers, and begin gang wars

Inner City, urban warfare reaches new heights as children & gang bangers are no longer afraid of the police. Hyper-Intelligent, morally ambivalent eight year olds command gangs of hardened criminals and begin to supplant the underworld.

The police are rendered "helpless" as civilians rally to insist that "this is just a phase" and more than one news reporter makes their break by catching the crying mothers screaming "DON'T HURT MY BABY!!"

The first (City) City Wars break out - these are your city of choice. For me, they would be the Philadelphia Wars, as the mafioso mobilize soldiers, favors & assassins to take down this new breed of criminal.

Laws are being structured in congress to directly deal with this new threat, including the authorization of treating super-powered children who have expressed a willingness to use their powers to promote crime be treated with the same level of force as the gang bangers they command.

Meanwhile, in a secret facility, thousands of scientists are trying to crack the code (be it genetic, super natural, magic, what have you) that has led up to this. They're doing it by any means necessary. A counter-intelligence group has instead hired children to stop them.

Soon, this phenomenon spreads around the world.

Here and here. A little more Wild Cards than what you've got, but hope you like it.

Any experienced player see a problem with my "unhexed' date=' with a ruler" combat map plan? Any advice for introducing the HERO character creation concept to them?[/quote']

On Maps: Half the time we don't use a hexed map, heck half the time we don't even use a ruler and just kind of wing it.

As for introducing character creation - I was introduced whole sale. It took a bit longer to really "get" it, but I had a good understanding of how all the various parts can interact nicely.

One way of introducing HERO to new players is that you build the characters co-operatively. For the first character, it really works plus it means you can keep a tight rein on power levels and such. Basically, you do all the math and power creation, they make up the concept. It goes something like this (abridged version):

Me: Tell me about your character...

Player: Can I have Kung Fu? Like Jackie Chan?

Me: Sure (scribble scribble) and Kung Fu like skills?

Player: More like a ninja... And I want to be able to throw things.... like Colin Farell in Daredevil

Me: Ok (scribble scribble)

Player: And I want to be able to control minds

Me: Ok (scibble scribble)... What job does your character have?

Player: She's a secretary.... but no one knows

Me: OK (scribble scribble)... Secret ID too... Why is she a hero?

Player: She likes adventure and wants to prove that women can do anything men can... she protects women and children... men can look after themselves

Me: Ok (scribble scribble) Does anyone not like her...

Player: Yeah - some ninjas want to kill her....

Me: OK (scribble scribble scribble) and we're done. Does she have a name?

Player (spooky voice): Lady Control.

And thus was born my wife's first (and so far only) HERO character - Lady Control.

She picked up on the actual gameplay and combat mechanics as we went along, and had a lot of fun. And not once was it unbalancing to have an energy projecting (throwing things) martial artist with mind control because I built the character to keep it balanced.