Spacers Tool Kit

Paper Spirit

Re: Spacers Tool Kit

Originally posted by Paper Spirit

Checked one out at the game shop today. It looks REALLY cool!:cool:

Ben, do you know what date (I know you guys wait a month now) that ST will be on sale here? My FLGS is not so HERO friendly or really even much of a gaming store; it's more like a comics shop with a bookshelf for RPGs.

Thanks.

Rigel, if you're willing to order online, I'd suggest you check the Hero Retailers link at the top of this page. Lots of good folks there who stock all the latest Hero stuff. And I know for a fact that Hero Games prefers that you buy from retailers rather than them, at least when the books first come out - keeps the retailers happy, which keeps 'em stocking books. ;)

I've heard particularly good things from lots of folks here about FRPGames: good service and some of the best prices around.

Re: Re: Spacers Tool Kit

Originally posted by Rigel

Ben, do you know what date (I know you guys wait a month now) that ST will be on sale here? My FLGS is not so HERO friendly or really even much of a gaming store; it's more like a comics shop with a bookshelf for RPGs.

Thanks.

You might have to drive down to Austin, then! I would recommend Dragon's Lair. I live in SA and the DL affiliate, Excalibur carries a good selection. I saw SpGTk and it looks really very nice. Will probably pick it up this week!

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Rigel, if you're willing to order online, I'd suggest you check the Hero Retailers link at the top of this page. Lots of good folks there who stock all the latest Hero stuff. And I know for a fact that Hero Games prefers that you buy from retailers rather than them, at least when the books first come out - keeps the retailers happy, which keeps 'em stocking books. ;)

I've heard particularly good things from lots of folks here about FRPGames: good service and some of the best prices around.

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered some HERO stuff online, but if I wait for HERO Games to sell it themselves, I can take advantage of the "damaged" books. As an added bonus, I can request the autograph of the author. :)

Before I begin, I would like to disclaim the following: This post is not meant to be a flame. I like Spacer's Toolkit, and will use it often. I feel it was well crafted, and worth my $22. Ben Seeman did a commendable job. The art was solid, althought I do wish Nato had done some more of the drawings, I really like his/her work. But I want to voice my concern about what I view as a shortcoming in the Toolkit. That having been said:

Why is it so short? It's about half the length of USPD, and not half the price. I feel a little stiffed for playing in a science fiction campaign instead of a champions campaign.

Ben or Steve?

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

The art was solid, althought I do wish Nato had done some more of the drawings, I really like his/her work.

Thanks for the compliment Keen! I really appreciate comments like that. Makes my sore drawing hand worth it! It's funny to think that when I was told that I was going to get to draw a whole lot of ships many books ago I was terrified. The Ultimate Vehicle was my first time drawing ships and it was very hard work. But then the kind folks at Hero liked them and asked me to draw more! I was like "Oh No!!!" But now they're one of my favorite subjects. I love coming up with new designs now.

Loved your little "one-man" tank in The Ultimate Vehicle, Nato! Any chance of you statting that out?

As far as the length of Spacer's Toolkit, while I would also have liked to see more material (half of the book being starships, which are not available/used in our Rifts Hero game), I feel that many of the powers in the USPD were repetitious; of course, that's so that it can be exhaustive. On the other hand, ST is pure goodness...

Why is it so short? It's about half the length of USPD, and not half the price. I feel a little stiffed for playing in a science fiction campaign instead of a champions campaign.

Ben or Steve?

You may feel that you're getting stiffed, but you are, frankly, looking at the problem completely the wrong way.

It's not that STK costs too much. It's that the USPD costs way too little compared to other books on the marketplace of comparable size, content, and worth.

Most other companies would have split the USPD up into two or more books and charged you $20+ apiece for them. Arguably, we should have done that, too. That would not only be easier for us, it would make us more money. But it just didn't feel "right," so we didn't do it.

However, I think it's completely and totally unfair to ask that we do that sort of thing with every single book -- esp. when we have multiple SH settings planned, each of which might at some point merit an equipment book of its own, with the sum total exceeding the USPD in length. We decide what the size of a book should be based on the nature of the book, the topic of the book, the perceived demand for the book, the workload/resources we can devote to the book, and many other factors. STK is the proper size given those factors, and so is the USPD. I'm sorry if you feel "stiffed," but I don't think that's a fair way to look at the situation.

Originally posted by Steve Long

esp. when we have multiple SH settings planned, each of which might at some point merit an equipment book of its own, with the sum total exceeding the USPD in length.

I stand corrected - since the top of the STK says it's a sourcebook for Star HERO and not Terran Empire, I assumed it was the definitive "power compendium" for star HERO. If we're going to see equipment guides for Alien Wars, Solar HERO, etc., I am completely satisfied.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had a problem with the Spacer's toolkit, but it was just the same problem I've had with almost every Sci-Fi supplement from every game I've ever played.

I have seen more high-tech versions of human melee weapons than I can count. Power swords galore, Vibro-Daggers, even high-tech clubs.

But when talking about alien melee weapons, suddenly it's as if high-tech disappeared entirely. Granted, in many cases, you can simply modify a power sword or whatever, but I, for one, would like to see alien races actually have their own specific weapons updated for High Tech, just like all the human melee weapons we see.

We certainly got to see plenty of alien 'Tech' weapons, like lasers, Ion weapons, etc. And I liked the examples of just about everything else in the book, but I just had to mention that little pet peeve.