Need help with 5ER and targeting a hex.

Kirby

Re: Need help with 5ER and targeting a hex.

Now I really need to catch up on downloading new characters posted to the vault!

I seem to recall a Marvel comics villain with electrical powers that almost never missed. I'll have to see if I can find the old Marvel U Handbook reference for him (I remember the costume only; green and yellow lightning bolts)

Electro, old Spider-man/Daredevil foe.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall a Marvel comics villain with electrical powers that almost never missed. I'll have to see if I can find the old Marvel U Handbook reference for him (I remember the costume only; green and yellow lightning bolts)

Electro?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_%28comics%29

What this whole thing boils down to is a SFX and/or World vs. Rules argument. From the rules POV, if you are throwing an attack that can target a hex, you can target whatever hex you want. Or at least as long as the attack can reach the hex in question. Lines of fire aside, a hex is a hex is a hex. However, mapping SFX and/or how the world works to that can modify things.

Are there SFX that being able to target a hex in the air makes sense for? Sure. Are there SFX that it doesn't make sense for? Sure. So it doesn't make any sense to write the system to disallow something that is sometimes reasonable.

BTW, the quote you are looking for is:

"A character can also use an Area Of Effect attack to target a hex in the air, underwater, or the like (for example, to attack a parachutist or submarine) - he's not limited to targeting hexes on the ground."

BTW, the quote you are looking for is:

"A character can also use an Area Of Effect attack to target a hex in the air, underwater, or the like (for example, to attack a parachutist or submarine) - he's not limited to targeting hexes on the ground."

Thank you. Rep after I spread the love.

I believe I've implied this, but to be explicit, I am going to use the official rules regarding AoE/Explosions targetting hexes. Of course, this means the villains have new strategies in their arsenals as well. :eg:

Special thanks to Shaft and Thia Halmades for their helpfullness, with a hats off nod to Lord Mhoram and Souljourner.

Isn't "respectfully submit" a form of submission to the other party (or parties) in a debate?

Yes.

"I respectfully submit that you might be envisioning..." is actually the polite way of saying I assume.

Err . . . except that, in a polite debate, you don't simply declare various points and expect them to be challenged qua established truths; you submit propositions for review by the group before they can be deemed acceptable by anyone, much less (as Kirby noted) taken for granted.

Hmm' date=' that explanation doesn't make since with the power+advantage. The quarterback is still expecting the football to make [i']contact[/i] with the intended target.

Without being able to see what was written, to me the analogy is someone throwing a grenade and expecting it to explode at a certain point in mid-air during the toss.

If this is an official rule, as opposed to being a GM's option, it has "abuse" written all over it, much like "costs END only to activate." :mad:

Why should the 'default setting' for all AoE attacks be "contact detonation"? Edit: this has already been gone over by others, and with possible better insight. :)

Edit/Addition: Combat in Hero System is not smooth. It is broken into Turns, Phases, Segments, and DEX orders. In Hero System, there is no "leading the target" to account for the "time in flight" of the attack. Whatever one shoots at, it is where it is when you shoot, and the attack goes off and reaches the target effectively instantaneously.

According to Hero Designer, a 2D area effect is actually a -1/4 reduction in the cost.

It can simulate the requisite "ring effect" seen in silver-screen planetary-explosions. ;)

But that's not how the original Death Star exploded in the unmodified Star Wars movie! ;)

Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

I believe I've implied this, but to be explicit, I am going to use the official rules regarding AoE/Explosions targetting hexes. Of course, this means the villains have new strategies in their arsenals as well. :eg:

Special thanks to Shaft and Thia Halmades for their helpfullness, with a hats off nod to Lord Mhoram and Souljourner.

Deh, no problem. Thanks for the thanks! And Happy winter gift giving celebration of your choice!

But that's not how the original Death Star exploded in the unmodified Star Wars movie! ;)

I'll have to take your word on the existence of a modified Star Wars IV, or existence of I,II and III. ;)

I was actually thinking about the Klingon moon in Star Trek VI. :D

Glad to help.