Unofficial Welcome Mat (For New Members)

schir1964

Re: Unofficial Welcome Mat (For New Members)

I'd suggest that you don't. It isn't appropriate to whatever the specific discussion is.

Then how will they know about the thread?

In fact' date=' I'd suggest moving this thread into the Non-Gaming Discussion section, because that's what it is.[/quote']

How many new posters that are asking rules questions check the Non-Gaming Discussion thread?

Are you willing to start and maintain a Welcome thread in the Non-Gaming area?

Your suggestions seem counter productive to the intent of this thread. Does having this thread here bother you?

- Christopher Mullins

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then how will they know about the thread?

Assuming it stays here in the HERO System Discussion section, they'll see it, since this is where most of their game-related posts go.

How many new posters that are asking rules questions check the Non-Gaming Discussion thread?

I have no idea, but if they want to discuss something non-gaming-related, such as being welcomed to the boards or just introducing themselves without any game-related question or statement, they might think to go there.

Are you willing to start and maintain a Welcome thread in the Non-Gaming area?

Not particularly. But how much work would one need to put into it? All one would have to do is make a starting post: "Here's a thread where we can welcome new members, or where new members can introduce themselves." Then let people do so.

Your suggestions seem counter productive to the intent of this thread. Does having this thread here bother you?

Maybe a little. I just don't see this thread as serving any real need. It isn't related to the subject of HERO System Discussion. I certainly didn't need a thread to welcome me when I joined. It really doesn't mean much. IMO. Every time I log in, there's a "Welcome, PhilFleischmann" which is then seen in the upper right corner of the screen no matter where I go on the boards. I don't see this thread as bringing much added value. I don't need the warm fuzzies from this board. Maybe that makes me cold hearted. Oh, well.

I'm not exactly new, just forgetful...

I've been playing RPGs of one kind or another for as long as I remember. Started playing published games in 1981. I found Champions(III) when I was snubbed by the other gaming group on post and hooked up with the guys playing BattleTech. They turned me on to Champions and I turned them onto GURPS.

I've played and run a vast number of systems including some that many here probably haven't heard of while others will remember with shuddering horror (Other Suns and Stalking the Night Fantastic). I've always liked both GURPS and Hero for the tool kit style of mechanics; where you can make anything you want with a little effort. And I've always disliked Dumb & Dumber for the opposite reason.

PS: I am the Housecat of Fiosachd.

Welcome Housecat of Fiosachd. Remember' date=' there is a strict 'no eating other board members' rule enforced. Just sayin' 'cause we have some small furry critters amongst us.[/quote']

Welcome, ThatDarnCat! And don't worry, despite what the Llama says I promise I won't eat you. :D

Welcome' date=' ThatDarnCat! And don't worry, despite what the Llama says I promise I won't eat you. :D[/quote']

But he might take your Quickening. Oh, and he's not left-handed either.

Hello everyone. I've never posted here before. To be honest, I got my into to Hero through the Fuzion System. I bought Champions: New Millennium [at GenCon where they were selling signed copies!] and looked into Hero to add-in the information that wasn't included. [Adders, Limiters & such] So, I've never been in a game using Hero [or Fuzion] that I haven't run. I suppose my learning might be a bit haphazard, but I get by.

Hello everyone. I've never posted here before. To be honest' date=' I got my into to Hero through the Fuzion System. I bought Champions: New Millennium [at GenCon where they were selling signed copies!'] and looked into Hero to add-in the information that wasn't included. [Adders, Limiters & such] So, I've never been in a game using Hero [or Fuzion] that I haven't run. I suppose my learning might be a bit haphazard, but I get by.

Greetings Starfighter!

wait.. wrong intro..

OI!

Welcome to HERO, I suggest picking up Fifth Edition, much better game engine.

Well, I went a little ebay-happy about two weeks ago. I got Hero System 5th [non-revised], Ultimate Martial-Artist, Until Superpowers Database, Star Hero, Champions Universe, & Dark Champions. Oh, and Champions 5th is on the way. Yeah, I get a bit compulsive sometimes. (Just don't tell my girlfriend I bought that much. Let it be our secret!) What can I say, I'm a supers' fan. And a comic-book nut.

Well' date=' I went a little ebay-happy about two weeks ago. I got Hero System 5th [non-revised'], Ultimate Martial-Artist, Until Superpowers Database, Star Hero, Champions Universe, & Dark Champions. Oh, and Champions 5th is on the way. Yeah, I get a bit compulsive sometimes. (Just don't tell my girlfriend I bought that much. Let it be our secret!) What can I say, I'm a supers' fan. And a comic-book nut.

You'll find that Dark Champions 5th has nothing to do with Supers, it's for Modern genres. It could more accurately be renamed Action Hero.

All good purchases however.

Hi ho. :cool:

Just joined tonight. I've just started a new Champions campaign for some of my original players from way back when for the first time in 10 years, and thought it would be cool to hang out with fellow HERO enthusiasts. :angel:

Hi ho. :cool:

Just joined tonight. I've just started a new Champions campaign for some of my original players from way back when for the first time in 10 years, and thought it would be cool to hang out with fellow HERO enthusiasts. :angel:

Welcome wilowisp. I have just recently gotten re-involved with my old friend the Hero System after a similarly long absence.

Scott Baker

Well' date=' I went a little ebay-happy about two weeks ago. I got Hero System 5th [non-revised'], Ultimate Martial-Artist, Until Superpowers Database, Star Hero, Champions Universe, & Dark Champions. Oh, and Champions 5th is on the way. Yeah, I get a bit compulsive sometimes. (Just don't tell my girlfriend I bought that much. Let it be our secret!) What can I say, I'm a supers' fan. And a comic-book nut.

What? No Ninja Hero or Asian Bestiaries? I am saddended. :(

Well, the only role-playing we'll be doing at the moment will be supers. [hopefully we'll be playing soon] And I didn't think Ninja Hero would be more useful than Ultimate Martial-Artist. I didn't even know anything about the Asian Beastiary, but by the name, I can't see a use for it in my game.

Well' date=' the only role-playing we'll be doing at the moment will be supers. [hopefully we'll be playing soon'] And I didn't think Ninja Hero would be more useful than Ultimate Martial-Artist. I didn't even know anything about the Asian Beastiary, but by the name, I can't see a use for it in my game.

I am doubly saddened. :( :(

sorry' date=' I'm not much of an otaku :([/quote']

Errr... being an otaku has nothing to do with either book really. Well, it helps with Ninja Hero, but doesn't have anything to do with the ABs. That's okay, the ABs are more meant for fantasy, horror, and pulp games anyway.

Welcome wilowisp. I have just recently gotten re-involved with my old friend the Hero System after a similarly long absence.

Scott Baker

My old friend the HERO system comprises all the books through the 4th edition (which take up two whole shelves); reading the site last night, it seems HERO has been through 2 more editions since last we met. The differences don't seem particularly striking thus far, but are there things I should be told so as to understand what folks are talking about? :confused: