Discworld HERO

Michael Hopcroft

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Discworld HERO

Death, the Soul Cake Duck, Old Man Trouble, et al. are probably best handled as plot devices. As for how to handle the various Guilds of Ankh-Morpork, I probably wouldn't bother with rule write-ups. Are they necessary?

Races would be interesting. Troll intelligence would definitely require a limitation. Most trolls would probably buy +10 (+15?) Int with a mandatory limitation that they could only access +2 per temperature level shift downward from the norm.

Female dwarfs would need Soc Lim: Secret - Female.

Vampires would probably be the most expensive.

The hardest to actually quantify would be witches. They rarely use magic and rarely need to. But when they do...

Keith "20 Pre, Headology 18-, and a rock solid Rep will get you pretty durn far" Curtis

Jacob

Trolls should also have increased density, damage reduction and extended lifespan (with really old trolls becoming mountains). Disads of dislike/distrust or hate for Dwarfs (one too many mining accidents). KS: Koom Valley history.

Trolls eat rocks in similar manner to organic beings eating food. There are drugs for trolls as well. Usually mixtures of industrial chemicals.

Dwarfs would have a very mild addiction for Rats. Possibly start with many weapon familiarities - including for Dwarf Bread.

There aren't that many guilds, or at least major guilds. From what I remember there is just a guild for each major trade -

Bakers, Carpenters, Weavers, Assassins, Thieves, Beggars, Ladies of Negotiable Affection.

Witches should have a VPP for contacts (or at least Nanny Ogg should).

I would give perks for certain Guild positions. Mainly the Guild heads, though. This would reflect their ability to, for example, front up to the Patrician's palace and expect to be admitted to his presence. Being the Archchancellor be worth more points, although these would typically be offset by buying Hunted: Ambitious Wizards. (Ridcully being an exception.)

And yes, incidentally, it would be possible for a PC to become Archchancellor, pre-Ridcully. Their life expectancy was that short. You could even have a PC become Patrician, pre-Veterinari, although I don't recall Pratchett killing them off quite as rapidly as he went through Archchancellors. Of course you could always set a game in some other century, which would make all such positions available, although at the expense of not being able to (directly) use the NPCs you might want to have around.

As for magic: clearly it can do a lot, but there seem to be some serious limitations on what even powerful wizards like Ridcully can do. For example, in Lords and Ladies, he teleports himself and Granny Weatherwax once - but can't do it a second time. In any case, even wizards seem to only use magic when it is necessary.

Obviously the GURPS Discworld supplements would be worth looking at if you have access to them. The Discworld Companion (or, preferably its updated edition, which I've only just realised existed, thanks to Googling while writing this post!) is an obvious must.

Female dwarfs would need Soc Lim: Secret - Female.

Jacob

Umm....why? It's no more a "secret" than being male is. Male or female, for the average Dwarf, most people simply won't know what your gender is - and unless they're marriage-minded, won't care. Traditional Dwarf society simply doesn't make any distinction between one gender and the other, not even linguistically. In their greatest love story, which is also the epic of their first Low King, no one knows which of the pair was of which gender, and there's a 50% chance their first Low King was in fact female - and to the Dwarves there's nothing odd in the fact that this detail is lost to their history.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not chromosome.

Trolls should also have increased density, damage reduction and extended lifespan (with really old trolls becoming mountains). Disads of dislike/distrust or hate for Dwarfs (one too many mining accidents). KS: Koom Valley history.

Trolls eat rocks in similar manner to organic beings eating food. There are drugs for trolls as well. Usually mixtures of industrial chemicals.

Dwarfs would have a very mild addiction for Rats. Possibly start with many weapon familiarities - including for Dwarf Bread.

There aren't that many guilds, or at least major guilds. From what I remember there is just a guild for each major trade -

Bakers, Carpenters, Weavers, Assassins, Thieves, Beggars, Ladies of Negotiable Affection.

Witches should have a VPP for contacts (or at least Nanny Ogg should).

Trolls also get Wealth as part of their racial package, possibly with some Side Effects.

Diamond teeth and all that... we've seen at least one troll bust out teeth for emergency funds (in Soul Music)

I was just thinking that if you become the head of a Guild, you should also get Hunted: other heads of other Guilds, to reflect Vetinari's policy of having everyone approaching his rank squabbling amongst themselves.

Leonard of Quirm would have a gadget pool and accidental change to diabolically evil scientist (invisible power effects) or something similar to reflect his innocent and random inventions of megadeath dealing devices.

Carrot has DF: Not the King and his sword has DF: Plain ordinary non-magical sword that is definitely NOT an heirloom or magical in any way.

Vimes has Reputation: Regicide.

Umm....why? It's no more a "secret" than being male is. Male or female, for the average Dwarf, most people simply won't know what your gender is - and unless they're marriage-minded, won't care. Traditional Dwarf society simply doesn't make any distinction between one gender and the other, not even linguistically. In their greatest love story, which is also the epic of their first Low King, no one knows which of the pair was of which gender, and there's a 50% chance their first Low King was in fact female - and to the Dwarves there's nothing odd in the fact that this detail is lost to their history.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not chromosome.

I believe they use the male pronoun solely, at least in Morporkian. My feeling has always been the assumption is that every dwarf is male. No one gets the heebie-jeebies if a dwarf announces his own male gender, but it is considered rude to announce your female gender, even if you are not wearing high-heeled, steel-toed boots or put a bit of lace on your chain mail. But I suppose you could alter the Lim to Secret: Gender. I wouldn't make it a Psych Lim, since the repercussions for revelation are social.

Keith "It's a dwarf thing; you wouldn't understand ;)" Curtis

This could be a fun little project.

A membership in a guild gives you a license to do whatever it is you do. Operating freelance is often a bad idea. Probably a 1 point perk for most members.

Speaking of Soul Music, don't forget the Musician's guild.

There does seem to be a lot of economic activity that isn't regulated, however. The tooth-fairies, for example, and mediums (Ms. Cake!). Inns, Pubs, and retailing (musical instruments). The clergy and the Unseen University aren't guilds per se, but the often get treated like one.

Coppers have have a couple of disadvantages: Watched by the Watch, Reputation (Copper, Incompetent Nobody), Distinctive Feature (Uniform). Plus probably PS: Police Procedure. (Yes, everyone has this. Even Nobby. He knows what procedure is, he just does the opposite.) After that, everything seems variable, although all members of the Watch seem to have at least one weapon skill of some sort.

Vimes has one thing no other character in Discworld has - the respect of Vetinari.

Rincewind - 8d6 Unluck, 3d6 Luck, Physlim: cannot learn magic, Universal Translator - Only to say "help!" or to understand Orangutan (-2), Watched: Death

Witches: Esk (possible a female wizard), Granny (Esmerelda) Weatherwax, Nanny (Gytha) Ogg, Magrat Garlick, Agnes X. Nitt, Black Aliss

I think Headology should actually be the equivalent of a college of magic. The magic spells should be based on presence or ego.

Actually, there is probably already a Discworld wiki. Let's see....

http://wiki.lspace.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

http://www.molcon.f2s.com/discworld/wiki/

I believe they use the male pronoun solely, at least in Morporkian. My feeling has always been the assumption is that every dwarf is male. No one gets the heebie-jeebies if a dwarf announces his own male gender, but it is considered rude to announce your female gender, even if you are not wearing high-heeled, steel-toed boots or put a bit of lace on your chain mail. But I suppose you could alter the Lim to Secret: Gender. I wouldn't make it a Psych Lim, since the repercussions for revelation are social.

Keith "It's a dwarf thing; you wouldn't understand ;)" Curtis

Languages which fail to make a pronoun distinction between male and female are not unknown even among Humans. Yes, they use the male pronoun in Morporkian; that's because they all look male (beards, you know) to a Human and Humans would refer to them as "he." And I'd bet you that a Dwarf who doesn't speak Morporkian (or any Human language) very well yet will frequently refer to female Humans as "he" too.

Dwarves, especially city dwelling Dwarves, are starting to pick up Human ideas, including the idea of dividing people by gender, and some of them identify as female. But can we be certain all Dwarves who take to being "shes" are necessarily what a Human would consider biologically female?

But in so far as it IS linked to actual physical sex, realize that when a Dwarf is a "he" then "he" is not somehow announcing that "he" is male; it's just that Dwarves think of that pronoun as including Dwarves as well as males. Similarly, there is nothing problematic in a Dwarf emulating stereotypical "male" behavior since most "male" things to do in Human society are acceptable things for Dwarves to do. But if a Dwarf were to somehow make a POINT about being male - which would be a harder thing to do than announcing one's femaleness, but I can imagine ways it could be done - it would probably be seen as being just as "rude" and embarrassing, since the traditional Dwarf view is that this is "Too Much Information."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y chromosome and a Y-not chromosome and doesn't care who knows it.

But if a Dwarf were to somehow make a POINT about being male - which would be a harder thing to do that announcing one's femaleness' date=' but I can imagine ways it could be done - it would probably be seen as being just as "rude" and embarrassing, since the traditional Dwarf view is that this is "Too Much Information."[/quote']

I suspect a lot of what you say is a matter of interpretation, and thus as valid as any other point of view. I just happen to interpret it a bit differently.

I agree that making a point of one's gender (not necessarily sex, but sexual identity) is considered rude to dwarfs.

I also maintain however, that the only dwarf we have seen to make a point of his maleness is not shunned. This dwarf would be Casanunda, the Disc's greatest lover.

Keith "Admittedly, we have never seen him in the company of other dwarfs" Curtis

Vimes has one thing no other character in Discworld has - the respect of Vetinari.
He also apparently has one of the most far reaching reputations on the Disc.

Rincewind - 8d6 Unluck, 3d6 Luck, Physlim: cannot learn magic, Universal Translator - Only to say "help!" or to understand Orangutan (-2), Watched: Death

He should also have a contact of some kind to represent the patronage of the Lady. I'd raise that Luck to 8d6, only in life-threatening situations, possibly linked to PS: Running. :)

Witches: Esk (possible a female wizard), Granny (Esmerelda) Weatherwax, Nanny (Gytha) Ogg, Magrat Garlick, Agnes X. Nitt, Black Aliss

Dont forget Tiffany Aching, she has three books of her own. Poor Esk is promptly forgotten.

I think Headology should actually be the equivalent of a college of magic. The magic spells should be based on presence or ego.

That would probably be a good way to treat it mechanically. I wouldn't call it magic though. Probably Super Skills.

More thoughts:

Other races which might be playable are gnomes, gargoyles, freed golems and assorted one-shots like the elemental at the rim or a very minor god such as Bileous.

Barbarian is a highly skilled class on Discworld. At a certain point, physical and mental characteristics seem to matter very little.

Vampires and Werewolves seem to have the ability to pass their curse on through biting, but it's apparently far more common to just pass them along through family lines. Although it could be a template, it's more of a race.

Keith "fun thread--thanks, Michael" Curtis

Hero is definitely an occupation on the Discworld.

And yeah - Headology should be a mix of various things. Psionics, psychology, manipulation, skills, contact, perks, talents and spells.

Well, at Granny Weatherwaxes skill level Headology becomes almost a super skill, and would be easy enough to write up that way.

Who wants to take a stab at writing up The Luggage?
An Automaton. With lots and lots of Automaton Powers. And virtually impervious to magic -- Damage Reduction 75%, STUN and BODY, Physical and Energy, Magic Special Effects Only (-1) . . .

Oo! Oo! Extradimensional Travel and Teleport! Only To Follow Master (-2?)

An Automaton. With lots and lots of Automaton Powers. And virtually impervious to magic -- Damage Reduction 75%, STUN and BODY, Physical and Energy, Magic Special Effects Only (-1) . . .

Oo! Oo! Extradimensional Travel and Teleport! Only To Follow Master (-2?)

The Extradimensional Travel and Teleport would be UAO as well. Assuming that's what happened to those unfortunate enough to be "eaten".

Oh, and Transform: Dirty Laundry to Clean, Folded Laundry.

Keith "And maybe some PRE for that unnerving, eyeless stare" Curtis

KS: Biology 17- KS: Medicine 15-

Transform - Injured person into healthy person, expendable charges (donated organs)

Regeneration - Delayed - OAF, medical kit.

PsyLim- lisp

PsyLim - must obey mahrster.

[edit]

On a side note, I recently bought the roleplaying game of Gothic Horror - My Life with Master which is all about being a minion. It's a narrative game of personal horror in gothic style.