Fantasy Hero Problems and advantages

atlascott

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Hero Problems and advantages

There are modules out there already for Pulp Hero as PDF - you could do the same for Fantasy Hero quite easily.

In the meantime, feel free to add adventures to the wiki :)

Working on one right now. Pretty much a "standard D&D-esque dungeon crawl" but it will get the initial momentum (for me at least) going.

Well folks, we as the HERO community have the talent to help DOJ support Turakian Age in a manner more in keeping with other, bigger publishers, but do we have the will (or the time for that matter?).

/Big Snip

I am aware that a lot of us are getting on in years (;)) and Real Life tends to intrude quite a lot, but there is that saying: "if you want anything done, ask a busy person", so there you go...

You already have one willing volunteer :D :D :D

Harn survived on fan output - and there is massive amounts of high quality fan output - for over a decade. First, we would have to decide whether we were producing:

1) Professional quality fanon for the community? (freebies).

2) A licensed product with general buy off from Steve? (licensed).

3) A series of supplements submitted to Steve for publication? (line writers).

I think there would be some project requirements:

1) Having a focused project with a strong outline.

2) Having a focused team with a strong project manager.

3) Having Steve buy-off on the idea and its general direction.

That done, we would have to decide on the kind of resource, which would be dependent on the goal. If its fanon or a licensed product, then we would probably want to stick to gamemaster resources that did not require too much coordination with Steve.

On the other hand, if the goal is to be a team of shadow line-writers because Steve isn't an octopus, then we have to work from Steve's outlines, notes, page-counts, etc. And he has to be more directly involved. Of course, being fans, we'd probably be a pain to work with. :eek:

The best option would probably be to complete a professional quality fanon project (I have an idea, but need a copy of TA) with nominal input from Steve with the intent of having it available on herogames.com as a free download. If one or two such projects were completed smoothly, with professional standards, then he might be open to that same group of people serving as freelancers on products that require more direction from him. On the other hand, maybe fanon is the goal.

Are you serious about taking on a project?

First, we would have to decide whether we were producing:

1) Professional quality fanon for the community? (freebies).

2) A licensed product with general buy off from Steve? (licensed).

3) A series of supplements submitted to Steve for publication? (line writers).

I would vote for any of the above. I think it would take a pretty dedicated team to create licensed materials and I'm not sure if DoJ has the resources to publish a large influx of adventures. i suppose the HERO Plus Adventures like the Pulp ones might do okay.

I think there would be some project requirements:

1) Having a focused project with a strong outline.

Initially this wouldn't be an issue, but yeah, long-term consistency would be greatly enhanced by having set parameters to work with.

2) Having a focused team with a strong project manager.
I nominate you. :)

3) Having Steve buy-off on the idea and its general direction.
Absolute agreement here. I can't imagine that fan involvement would be something Steve and Co. would frown on, but there may well be dynamics I'm not seeing.

The best option would probably be to complete a professional quality fanon project (I have an idea, but need a copy of TA) with nominal input from Steve with the intent of having it available on herogames.com as a free download. If one or two such projects were completed smoothly, with professional standards, then he might be open to that same group of people serving as freelancers on products that require more direction from him. On the other hand, maybe fanon is the goal.
Sounds like a plan. I wish I could get you a copy of TA within a reasonable amount of time. I would be happy to hear out your idea and act as reference man if you like.

Are you serious about taking on a project?
Yes. The only caveat to that is I still have a responsibility to my players in the Gemini Ascendant campaign. Of course, that just means we have ready playtesters. :thumbup:

I can create a portion of the wiki for certain members only - if you wish to use it as a collaborative base for a future project that will be a commercial and published endeavour.

That way the project isn't open to the public until it is published, but can still be worked on by any of the registered members who are meant to be working on the project.

I can create a portion of the wiki for certain members only - if you wish to use it as a collaborative base for a future project that will be a commercial and published endeavour.

That way the project isn't open to the public until it is published, but can still be worked on by any of the registered members who are meant to be working on the project.

Oh now that is just too cool.

This is way too kewl of an idea. :thumbup:

I'm in if you need/want the help. I've got an over-active imagination and need an outlet. This could be it. I'm still a little weak/easily confused with 5th, but if its a collaboration, that shouldn't be a big deal. I hope.:o

This is way too kewl of an idea. :thumbup:

I'm in if you need/want the help. I've got an over-active imagination and need an outlet. This could be it. I'm still a little weak/easily confused with 5th, but if its a collaboration, that shouldn't be a big deal. I hope.:o

People with ideas on a project like this are good. One really only needs a few people that are good enough with the rules to create all the Crunchy Bits and check the math. I'd say jump into this if you've got ideas.

Okay. let's get organized then.

Everyone who wants in should mail me at:

gavriel_at_hardboiledhebrew_dot_com (remove the underscores).

Please put HFP [Hero Fanon Project] in the subject line so I can route the mail.

Once we've identified our team and resources Curufea can deal with accounts for the development section of the wiki.

We can hammer out our direction anc communicate via email and use the wiki for development.

Once we hammer out the basics I'll contact Steve.

I would vote for any of the above. I think it would take a pretty dedicated team to create licensed materials and I'm not sure if DoJ has the resources to publish a large influx of adventures. i suppose the HERO Plus Adventures like the Pulp ones might do okay.

I think adventures could be eproducts. At the same time, we might just want to be a fanon team. We'll all discuss via mail.

Absolute agreement here. I can't imagine that fan involvement would be something Steve and Co. would frown on' date=' but there may well be dynamics I'm not seeing.[/quote']

The key is to have a clear happy relationship, and to ensure that what we produce is in the overall spirit of the line as he envisions it. Also, we don't want to produce materials that cut into, or contradict, his future product plans. We want the setting to be strenthened by it, not undermined.

Sounds like a plan. I wish I could get you a copy of TA within a reasonable amount of time. I would be happy to hear out your idea and act as reference man if you like.

Will discuss via mail. I have logistical issues with getting one in a reasonable amount of time, but its not insurmountable.

Yes. The only caveat to that is I still have a responsibility to my players in the Gemini Ascendant campaign. Of course' date=' that just means we have ready playtesters. :thumbup:[/quote']

Don't sweat it. We aren't line writers and we all have jobs and lives. We'll set a time-table we can live with.

As long as it's a lemon meringue tart, I don't mind :)

As to names, I'd prefer something less obscure and more generic:-

Fantasy Adventures or similar.

I'm sure we'll get bogged down in a naming debate soon enough!

I also think we should have something more generic, but Fantasy Adventure Resource Team isn't doing it for me. :ugly:

Also, do you just want to do the wiki end, or do you want to be involved in the creative end as well?