Heroes for HERO?

Susano

Re: Heroes for HERO?

"Always On" isn't a valid limitation for Regen. Also' date=' there needs to be a Extra Time limitation (she heals really fast, so it's the minimum per Turn. But... there does seem to be a limitation that she can't heal if she's being kept "dead" ([i']i.e.[/i] doesn't start healing until the stick is removed from her head/brain). This isn't part of the Resurrection limitations, since that requires something to actually, permanently kill her (for example, she heals back quickly from a burn, but if totally incinerated? She's gone....).

Doesn't "Always on" suggest that she can't turn it off?

I thought the extra time, 1 turn minimum was built in, but that could be legacy 4th ed rules rattling in my head... ;) I'll correct that.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she gets the reputation you give her -

she makes prom queen because she isn't like the other "cheerleader bitches" (and Zach's campaigning' date=' of course). Of course that might be just among the freaks, not the general HS population.

[/quote']

Good point- I'll adjust it.

Doesn't "Always on" suggest that she can't turn it off?

I thought the extra time, 1 turn minimum was built in, but that could be legacy 4th ed rules rattling in my head... ;) I'll correct that.

Yes, but it's not a limitation/disadvantage to always heal BODY damage.

And no, the Extra Time limit isn't built in.

So, even though the heroes in Heroes don't have costumes/hero names, do you think you could make a case for Secret Identity (though perhaps at a lesser level) at least for some of them? Nathan, for instance, doesn't want anyone to know he can fly, and Claire lets Jackie take credit for saving the guy from the fire rather than potentially reveal her power.

Claire should have another Limitation on her Regeneration. "Only when everything is in the right place". She didn't heal the broken rib after her fall until after she pushed it into place. After she woke up during the autopsy, her chest didn't heal until she pushed it back down. I'd say a -1/2 Lim.

Grimble

So' date=' even though the heroes in Heroes don't have costumes/hero names, do you think you could make a case for Secret Identity (though perhaps at a lesser level) at least for some of them? Nathan, for instance, doesn't want anyone to know he can fly, and Claire lets Jackie take credit for saving the guy from the fire rather than potentially reveal her power.[/quote']

Claire looks like she was getting ready to talk... but then held off.

Hiro talks about getting a costume. :D

Shaft: Good catch with the now ex-rival. :)

Susano: Considering how much difficulty that's given her in her attempt to keep it a secret (her brother for example), her inability to turn it off is certainly mildly disadvantageous. I don't know if it's worth even -1/4, though.

BoloOfEarth: I like how Shaft did it with a "Secret" Psych limit.

Susano: Considering how much difficulty that's given her in her attempt to keep it a secret (her brother for example), her inability to turn it off is certainly mildly disadvantageous. I don't know if it's worth even -1/4, though.

But doesn't this come under "Social Limitation: Potentially Harmful Secret"?

The is no disadvantage to having the power always work. But it does play hell with your personal life.

Claire should have another Limitation on her Regeneration. "Only when everything is in the right place". She didn't heal the broken rib after her fall until after she pushed it into place. After she woke up during the autopsy' date=' her chest didn't heal until she pushed it back down. I'd say a -1/2 Lim.[/quote']

I adjusted the details for restrainable:

restrainable (by means other than grans or entangles: injured body parts must be somewhat aligned in place before healing begins, brain must not have any foreign objects in it, etc...) -1/4

But doesn't this come under "Social Limitation: Potentially Harmful Secret"?

The is no disadvantage to having the power always work. But it does play hell with your personal life.

Well, the disadvantage might limit her options for surgery (sure she can't heal, but she can't get cosmetic surgery (not that she needs it) or cyberware, for example). Of course, it also means that she can't have harmful surgery (like a tracer or cortex bomb) either...

In this case, I'd say that the advantages offset the disads and make it a special effect. In a more Four Colour game, I might give -1/4 for it.

Yeah, I'd go with 15 dex, but add in Damage reduction,PDr and EDr...she seems almost immune to pain.....ie walks through fire, etc...

If it hurt to break bones she would avoid it, I don't care that she knows she'll be fine, she would still avoid injury to avoid pain....so I don't think she feels much....

There are an implausible number of coincidences bringing the heroes/mutants* together - (minor spoilers ahoy!) Hiro's friend Ando just happens to be a fan of Nikki/Jessica, out of all the strippers on the internet. Peter just happens to be caregiver for the father of Isaac's girlfriend/dealer, who falls in love with them both. Hiro just happens to go into two different restaurants on the same trip - the diner where he sees Nathan fly, and another that just happens to employ another of the mutants (the eidetic memory waitress). Not to mention all the Linderman connections. Nathan (or was it Peter? Or both? Details are getting fuzzy) gets into a cab driven by Mohinder. Peter just happens to be where he can see invisible guy. Heck, NYC itself seems to have the same place in the metahuman scheme of things that it has in the Marvel Universe (with Las Vegas coming in second place). So, it's not just Hiro, though he does seem to run into more of them accidentally.

I wouldn't say "implausible" so much as "interconnected." Dirk Gently could sort it all out, for sure. ;)

Okay, what about Peter's ability?

It doesn't conform to any of HERO's Power affecting abilities (Absorbtion, Drain, Suppress, Transfer), since it doesn't appear to diminish the ability of the one he is copying. So, the only way I can think to model it is with a VPP. It would have limitations like "can only copy abilities of metahumans within X meters/feet" and "abilities fade when not in the presence of metahumans," but it would need to be at least as powerful as the most powerful of the others' constructs.

I do not think we have seen him copy or use more than one ability at a time. When he was alone with Sylar (who we know has multiple stolen abilities), he still was using the cheerleader's ability, and we did not see him use another then. Has Peter been in the presence of more than one of the others at a time?

He does also seem to have an ability to have precognitive dreams, even when not in the presence of Isaak.

Yeah, I'd go with 15 dex, but add in Damage reduction,PDr and EDr...she seems almost immune to pain.....ie walks through fire, etc...

If it hurt to break bones she would avoid it, I don't care that she knows she'll be fine, she would still avoid injury to avoid pain....so I don't think she feels much....

I agree that she has some sort of resistance to pain. While baking with her mom, she took cupcakes out of the oven with no mitt. Her mom thought she smelled something burning. Claire didn't seem to be fazed at all.

The Resistance Talent has a GM optional rule for resisting pain. In my game I'd just say that her high pain threshold is just a side-effect of her regeneration. No extra cost.

Grimble

Okay, what about Peter's ability?

It doesn't conform to any of HERO's Power affecting abilities (Absorbtion, Drain, Suppress, Transfer), since it doesn't appear to diminish the ability of the one he is copying. So, the only way I can think to model it is with a VPP. It would have limitations like "can only copy abilities of metahumans within X meters/feet" and "abilities fade when not in the presence of metahumans," but it would need to be at least as powerful as the most powerful of the others' constructs.

I do not think we have seen him copy or use more than one ability at a time. When he was alone with Sylar (who we know has multiple stolen abilities), he still was using the cheerleader's ability, and we did not see him use another then. Has Peter been in the presence of more than one of the others at a time?

He does also seem to have an ability to have precognitive dreams, even when not in the presence of Isaak.

I would hold off on Peter's (and Nikki/Jessica's) abilities for a bit; we still don't know how much about how they work. That goes double for the "precognitive dreams" - we don't know if it's a second power, indication that he can hold onto Isaac's longer than he thinks, some other outside influence (maybe Indian dream kid, or whoever/whatever is bringing them all together, or his future self mimicking an as-yet-unknown power set), or just the result of eating nachos before bedtime.

I think the hardest write up will be Sylar. His power absorbing through taking other metahumans brains is confounding me. I don't see a good mechanic in the HERO system. He seems to fall under the "plot device" umbrella. In strict rule terms, he'd be gaining major powers whenever he is able to kill another metahuman and take their brains.

Hmmm... Maybe a Multipower, since he only seems to be able to use one power at a time. All ultra slots...this way, when he gains a new power, it would only cost a fraction of what the original power cost.

What do others think of this solution to his power gaining power?

I think the hardest write up will be Sylar. His power absorbing through taking other metahumans brains is confounding me. I don't see a good mechanic in the HERO system. He seems to fall under the "plot device" umbrella. In strict rule terms, he'd be gaining major powers whenever he is able to kill another metahuman and take their brains.

Hmmm... Maybe a Multipower, since he only seems to be able to use one power at a time. All ultra slots...this way, when he gains a new power, it would only cost a fraction of what the original power cost.

What do others think of this solution to his power gaining power?

Seems to be the best way to do it. He seemed to have some kind of physical defenses - "you know that (gun) wouldn't hurt me" (to paraphrase). Since we don't know whether he can only use one "special ability" at a time, or just hasn't had a need to yet, I'd at least put the passive defenses outside the MP. Even his basic inborn ability, the way he "knows how things work", I can't really figure out. A super-duper Detect with Analyze, I guess, but we don't know what kind of information he gets from it, or what its limits are (except he apparently can't do it through an intact skull).

I don't think Sylars "Know How Things Work" power works on metahumans. He didn't realize the he had the wrong cheerleader until he actually saw Claire healing in front of him. For that matter, we don't even know if he really needs the brains of his victims...He might just get the powers of metahumans that die. We just don't know, yet.

On another subject...I think Hiro's powers are failing him because of confidence issues. His need for the sword could be like a "Dumbo's feather". He should probably be built with this Psych Lim.

Grimble

On another subject...I think Hiro's powers are failing him because of confidence issues. His need for the sword could be like a "Dumbo's feather". He should probably be built with this Psych Lim.

I hope so. Adding an actual magical sword in would open a whole new can of worms on an already crowded plate. But I think you're right, and of course you're right about us not knowing how Sylar does what he does. I was sure he ate those brains (I made a character for a story just like that, except it involved a magical ritual), up until they had the episode which focused on him. Now... I'm not even confident the writers know. :)

I see Sylar's ability as a large VPP. He only gets to add slots when he does whatever he does with the brains.

Claire should have some Unluck. If she didn't have regeneration, she'd be dead or mangled ten times over. I realize the audience needs to see her ability once in a while to remind them what she can do, but the number of mutilations she goes through is staggering.

Keith "weird juxtaposition of images to have the cutest cast member go through the most horrific effects" Curtis

At first, he seemed to be very similar to the Wild Cards character, Deadhead. He doesn't seem to be doing much more than TK when we see him though. I still think Sylar is a dead end, left over from when they planned to end the miniseries after X episodes if it didn't catch on. Now that it is proving popular, they can't use their original ending.

Keith "My theory" Curtis

I see Sylar's ability as a large VPP. He only gets to add slots when he does whatever he does with the brains.

Claire should have some Unluck. If she didn't have regeneration, she'd be dead or mangled ten times over. I realize the audience needs to see her ability once in a while to remind them what she can do, but the number of mutilations she goes through is staggering.

Keith "weird juxtaposition of images to have the cutest cast member go through the most horrific effects" Curtis

Both Sylar and Peter probably have VPPs.

And I noticed that Claire seems to be amazingly fragile.

If Sylar can use multiple acquired powers simultaneously at full strength (which we have no evidence for or against, yet), then neither a multipower nor (reasonable) VPP are gonna be adequate - he has a GM fiat power to add gobs of xp whenever he does whatever he does with those brains.

If he can only use one at a time, you're still going to run into trouble when he acquires an ability that's worth more points than whatever he'd gotten before, unless you start him off with as big a VPP pool as the most powerful other meta (if the GM even knows what that will be). But I'm betting he ends up being able to use all his stuff simultaneously - it makes him more badass, and we all know that's what the kids go for these days. :P

And, who knows, maybe every time he acquires a new ability, he's gaining some mental disads (I still think it has something to do with his "how things work" power, imposing "brain wave patterns" or some such comic book silliness on his own brain - though how he can "see" them without hospital-level diagnostic tools in person, but not through skulls, is another question). If so, it's even possible that these disads might pay for new slots on a multipower, in which case it might be cool to use an MP rather than a VPP.

Probably the only ways to stat him up this far into the show, are:

1) Assume he can only use one at a time, and use a huge cosmic VPP with an "only for prepared powers" limitation. This means knowing the point cost of everyone's powers, or at least knowing that no one else will ever get a power bigger than x points. Or assuming that he doesn't necessarily get full use of stolen powers that are bigger than his VPP.

2) Assume he can use them simultaneously, and give him a VPP big enough to fit every power on earth at once...

...which is kind of weird and wasteful (besides staggeringly expensive), since he wouldn't be changing the pool out at all except when acquiring a new ability. Most of the pool would never be used.

3) Just GM fiat the xp whenever he gets a new one.