Has anyone written up Doc Savage??

gewing

Like Superman in amny eras would be cheap?

I actually figured he would have the "universal scientist" that was proposed during the cybergames days at about 14 or 15-. The rest of his advances would be from combining skills.

just off the top of my head...

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

I think it would be easier to write up Doc's companions, or even The Shadow. I mean, Savage himself is an expert at everything! He has every conceivable skill in HERO System at 18-, great physical stats, and an arsenal of gadgets. He'd cost more points than Doctor Destroyer!

Savage himself is an expert at everything! He has every conceivable skill in HERO System at 18-, great physical stats, and an arsenal of gadgets.

Plus one power that I always found disturbing in a "hero," the ability (and willingness) to lobotomize lawbreakers and Transform them into law-abiding amnesiacs.

Let's see, Take the "normal characteristic maxima" disad, max out characteristics, 167 points. He knows so many languages it's cheaper to take Universal Translator. While we're there, add other talents. Speed reading, perfect pitch, lightsleep, Lightning calculator, fast draw, eidetic memory, double jointed, does anyone recall if Clark was ambidexterious? Then perks, "Doc" was not a courtesy title, in New York he was licensed to practice medicine, and law, and I believe he had a license as an architect (licensed for some sort of engineering anyway).

Humm, we've broken 200 points. Add some overall levels.

This is begining to look like a Thousand Pointer.

Only thing I can think of is to do it the way Dent did it, all talents and skills into a pool, and create whatever needed by the plot from the pool. Likewise an obscene gadget pool.

This doesn't even touch bases (plural), vehicles, and most central to the character, followers.

Originally posted by gewing

I wonder, should we just give him every martial arts manuever?

Maybe just me, but I don't recall Doc (or Renny) using much in the way of martial arts maneuvers, just straight boxing. Monk was more the brawler and dirty infighter, Ham avoided HTH at all cost, don't recall that Johnny or Long Tom ever fought close quarters, all preferred pistols.

Originally posted by JSweeney

Off topic, but could someone tell me where I can get copies of some of those old titles...I'm not interested in ebay.

Guess they're all out of print now. Amazon.com has some used copies, in my experience better prices and much better service than e-bay.

It's a matter of concept

Originally posted by gewing

Like Superman in amny eras would be cheap?

I actually figured he would have the "universal scientist" that was proposed during the cybergames days at about 14 or 15-. The rest of his advances would be from combining skills.

just off the top of my head...

True, Superman could be built on a godawful number of points depending on your interpretation. The difference, though, is the definition of the character. Despite variations over 60-odd years of comics, movies, TV, etc., we all have a pretty good idea of what Supes can do: he's strong, can fly, is hard to hurt, and sometimes displays unusually accute "super senses." You can quibble about exactly how strong he is or how fast he can fly but you don't have to worry about whether he could perform brain surgery or not. He can't. In a critical care situation he'd have to depend on Batman or one of his many Contacts or DNPCs.

In contrast, while we know Doc Savage is just strong enough to bend steel bars with his bare hands (if the metal is softened by acid from his utility vest) we never know exactly what he can do -- because he can do nearly anything and do it well. Brain surgery? No problem. He's a licensed physician, surgeon, and medical researcher. Decipher that ancient text? He writes monographs on lost civilizations in his spare time. Tackle that musical theme villain? Easy, since Doc is a master musician and composer himself. Master of disguise, inventor, street brawler (I'd give him Boxing and Wrestling), best friend of any public official the heroes encounter. He's like Superman, Batman, and Reed Richards all rolled into one, and that makes him hard to pin down. He doesn't have a single identifiable schtick.

Another difference is personality. Over 60 years we've gotten inside the heads of Superman, Batman, and Reed Richards. We know how they think, how they're likely to react to a situation, we've suffered with them through all of their personal trials and triumphs. But Doc Savage remains an enigma. Even his closest companions don't know what he's up to. He never confides his plans, reveals his feelings, or has a non-business relationship with anyone. He lets his colorful and entertaining assistants bumble around during most of the story, then shows up at the end with all the icy efficiency of the Terminator to rescue them and dispatch the bad guy. Who is he when he's not playing "modern Galahad"? We'll never know. Which may be OK when you're reading a novel but is bad when you're trying to figure out Disadvantages for a write-up.

Re: It's a matter of concept

True, Superman could be built on a godawful number of points depending on your interpretation. The difference, though, is the definition of the character. Despite variations over 60-odd years of comics, movies, TV, etc., we all have a pretty good idea of what Supes can do: he's strong, can fly, is hard to hurt, and sometimes displays unusually accute "super senses." You can quibble about exactly how strong he is or how fast he can fly but you don't have to worry about whether he could perform brain surgery or not. He can't. In a critical care situation he'd have to depend on Batman or one of his many Contacts or DNPCs.

In contrast, while we know Doc Savage is just strong enough to bend steel bars with his bare hands (if the metal is softened by acid from his utility vest) we never know exactly what he can do -- because he can do nearly anything and do it well. Brain surgery? No problem. He's a licensed physician, surgeon, and medical researcher. Decipher that ancient text? He writes monographs on lost civilizations in his spare time. Tackle that musical theme villain? Easy, since Doc is a master musician and composer himself. Master of disguise, inventor, street brawler (I'd give him Boxing and Wrestling), best friend of any public official the heroes encounter. He's like Superman, Batman, and Reed Richards all rolled into one, and that makes him hard to pin down. He doesn't have a single identifiable schtick.

Another difference is personality. Over 60 years we've gotten inside the heads of Superman, Batman, and Reed Richards. We know how they think, how they're likely to react to a situation, we've suffered with them through all of their personal trials and triumphs. But Doc Savage remains an enigma. Even his closest companions don't know what he's up to. He never confides his plans, reveals his feelings, or has a non-business relationship with anyone. He lets his colorful and entertaining assistants bumble around during most of the story, then shows up at the end with all the icy efficiency of the Terminator to rescue them and dispatch the bad guy. Who is he when he's not playing "modern Galahad"? We'll never know. Which may be OK when you're reading a novel but is bad when you're trying to figure out Disadvantages for a write-up.

One of the most recent novels written about Doc Savage stressed his discomfort with women. He doesn't like being attracted to them. He can't read them well. He finds them unpredictable. He got a cold sweat thinking about the female soviet agent he was going up against. However, when in disguise and playing a role of a man who has no such hangups, he has no problem.

During the days when Doc was being written, many people believed that an evil person had a mental/chemical imbalance. Dent took this and had Doc invent a process that cured this problem and erased the memories of the person operated on. This person was then taught to hate such evil acts, what sort of person he was before the surgery, and a useful trade to take back to the world. He used a death of personality instead of lobotomization.

Libido and lobotomies

Yep, sexy women are Doc's one weakness. He doesn't know what to about them yet he attracts them like a magnet. And he never passes them on to his appreciative henchmen.

Re: lobotomies. Well, the novels don't specify that Savage actually removes parts of criminals' brains, just that he performs brain surgery on them to, uh, increase their sense of civic responsibility. Gotham City would be a nicer place to live if Batman were to adopt such tactics. The Shadow or the Spider would just kill the goons and be done with it.

On the other hand, there IS something calculating and inhuman about Doc. His emotional aloofness from lesser mortals, his insecurity about woman, his tendancy to manipulate others without developing real relationships all indicate that his super-scientific training may have done strange things to his psyche. You get the uncomfortable suspicion that Clark Savage, Jr., and Marvel Comics' Magneto might see eye-to-eye on some things.

On a side note, Superman creators Seigel and Schuster toyed with the idea of an evil genetic superman before they introduced their famous hero. I think their early notions eventually produced the Ultra-Humanite. Also, read the pulp novelette "But Without Horns" (can't recall the author) if you can find it. It's about a group of public-spirited heroes trying to prevent a mutant superbeing from taking over the world. Seems any normal human who encounters him becomes a fanatical worshipper will to throw away his life to satisfy the "god's" slightest whim. And the mutant is pretty callous in how he uses his worshippers.

Re: Libido and lobotomies

Re: lobotomies. Well, the novels don't specify that Savage actually removes parts of criminals' brains, just that he performs brain surgery on them to, uh, increase their sense of civic responsibility.

And remove their memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If we are talking Doc from the film with Ron Ely then yes, he has EVERY martial arts manouvre ! In the climactic fight with the viallainous Captain Seas he uses Kung Fu, Sumo, Boxing and some other martial arts (i've forgotten exactly which ones) , then finishes the fight with a wrestling manouvre (A drop kick!)

Why not just use a low point VPP to emulate the knowledge he's acquired? He's a brain surgeon ... okay, distribute the points to SC: Surgeon, SC: Brain Surgey and SC: Anesthesia ... if he's tracking down a lost Mayan artifact, just push the points into SC: Archeology, KS: History and KS: Mayan Treasures ... :)

• 2 weeks later...