Understand all technology?

MattyHelms

Hey, all:

One of my players wants to have a character who can fully understand how to use any technology (so far, he's only really experienced it with musical instruments in school) as soon as he touches it.

How the heck would you model this? Technology-relevant skills bought as powers?

I'm stumped and any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Understand all technology?

Is this his primary ability? If so:

I'd first make him buy a lot of the 'regular' techno skills -- Computers, Mechanics, etc. etc. et frickin' cetera. Every techno Weapon Familiarity. All the mechanical Transport Familiarities. Security Systems. All of it, which is going to be a big chunk. Note that he may not KNOW that he knows how to use that alien's chunka-thwop mystery shooter-gizmo, but he DOES.

Then spend 30 points on a Skill VPP with limited powers (technological-interface background skills only), perhaps limited change times (only when examining/using item of technology), and a 0-point max roll cap of something like INT-roll-plus-two or -three.

All together, these should get him everything he needs. Be expensive, though.

Depends, really, on the genre, game, and on what you mean by 'understands'.

Can you USE the tech, even if it is unfamiliar, or can you strip it down, repair the wear and tear and maybe make a few improvements?

Now for a particular game f there are only (say) 3 basic tech types (Earth Betrobi and Shmek....or whatever) then you just buy skills with systems operations for all 3 tech types, and a decent range of TF and WF skills and you are probably good to go.

It also depends what your attitude towards unfamiliar tech is: can anyone use it with a penalty, or can it not be used unless you know how to use it? If the former, a few well placed (and slightly handwaves) penalty skill levels should see you straight. Can an Earch creature even USE Shmek technology, given that the Shmek have metalic nerves that allow them to directly interface with their electronics? And the Betrobi use ritual incantations that look an awful lot like magic to activate their tech, in voices that rise intot he ultrasonic range....can you chant the chant, and if so, do you understand what you are doing?

Also, how pervasive is the talent: if IGT Man (I Grok Tech) stands on the bridge of an alien battelcruiser he has just teleported onto, and touches the helm controls, does he understand everything about the ship, or just which button to press to get to Melitki Beta?

I guess what I'm saying is that the problem needs more definition before a solution can be advanced.

Or you could just use Universal Translator as a template, charge 20 points and give him 11- to understand tech he is in contact with.

Your choice :)

Well, if it's just understanding it ("Oh, this is the thing that regulates the antimatter flow through the dimensional interface. No, I can't fix it."), then I'd say a simple Detect Purpose of Technology would cover it (with whatever appropriate adders work for the way the power operates).

If the character can understand and utilize any technology, then the Tech Skill VPP mentioned above could work.

I recently built a Super super scientist with...Universal scientist, +3 to the roll (14), and Detect: Technologic function, sense,Discrim....

So he can say "Oh, this is a framistamium collator, hmmm, crimson framistanium" and pull most any science off at the "pro" level.

Ulti-skill has a cool chart for SS's that gives penaltys as it gets more specialized. So "Biology" is 14>, Entimology is 12>, Life cyles of cicadas is 10>, and etc...

I had this for a villain Available Technology Warrior. A very nasty skill for a villain who can do things like steal the heroes' gadgets but I don't know how useful it'll be for a hero who has to pay character points for anything useful.

Buy it as an enhanced sense with analyze and all the other sense enhancement bonuses except range. That lets him figure out roughly what it is, how its put together, and how to turn it off and on and use it at some minimal level of proficiency.

If he wants to be able to strip it down and put it back together, he needs eidetic memory.

If he wants to fully understand it or build another one, he'll need eidetic memory (or access to the original) plus either the component parts or the appropriate science skills to manufacture the component parts.

How familiar the technology is and how complicated it is will impact how the power works. Guns are easier to figure out how to operate than cars or spaceships. Earth technology is going to be easier than alien technology. The fourth time he sees an alien technology will be easier than his first attempt. Make sure the player understands his ability is a superpower and not a method to abuse the campaign.