abort question

steph

when a character abort for block or dodge can he do something else in is abort phase? ex if my speed is 3 (4 , 8 , 12) and in phase 3 i abort my phase 4 for blocking a attact: block is a half-phase (attack action) but can i use my other half-phase to do something or can i make 0 phase action like put csl in dcv ............ex can i in phase 3 make a 0 phase action like put my csl in dcv , in a half phase make a per roll and my last half phase block the attack?

hope i am clear

english not my first language

stef

Re: abort question

steph,

You are allowed to perform more than one defensive Action while Aborting (5ER, p. 362), so you could, for example, shift Combat Skill Levels that improve DCV and Block. You cannot, however, do anything that is not related to the Abort (as ghost-angel noted).

See "Actions" on pp. 357-358 of 5ER and "Aborting An Action" on pp. 361-362 of 5ER (these are the correct pages for the English edition).

Yes, you can perform multiple actions that affect the action you aborted to. CSLs is the most common and the most use... and really the only one I'm really sure you can do. You can't Abort to Dodge and turn on your FF, or abort to turn on Desolid while Missile Deflecting for example. But you can Abort to Shifting you CSLs into DCV and shifting your Multipower points into Missile Deflection and use Missile Deflection to block a ranged attack aimed at you, all in the same Abort.

p362 -- "A character may perform more than one defensive action while aborting -- such as aborting to dodge and simultaneously activating a defensive power' date=' providing they're not mutually exclusive."[/quote']

Ah, well then I sit corrected. I'd stand corrected, but it's uncomfortable to type while standing.

So basically, assuming you haven't put all of them into a Multipower or something that limits the number of Powers active, you can simultaneously Dodge while turning Invisible and Desolid, Activating a FF and a FW, and Shrinking dropping all of your CSLs into DCV (but not also Missile Deflecting because using Missile Deflection uses more than a 0 Phase same as Dodge). I'll have to remember that next time I'm playing Avatar (who potentially has this combination except for the FW).

Correct, and IIRC, you can activate any power as a "free" action, ergo, you could reasonably throw up every viable defense you have, assuming as you said: 1) they don't lock each other out, 2) you have the END to pay for them, 3) they are PURE defensive powers; you cannot activate a Damage Shield as a Defense, unless it's part & parcel of the "true" defense (i.e., a Firewall would qualify in this case).

Correct' date=' and IIRC, you can activate any power as a "free" action, ergo, you could reasonably throw up every viable defense you have, assuming as you said: 1) they don't lock each other out, 2) you have the END to pay for them, 3) they are PURE defensive powers; you cannot activate a Damage Shield as a Defense, unless it's part & parcel of the "true" defense ([i']i.e.[/i], a Firewall would qualify in this case).

Activating a Power is a 0 Phase Action, not a "free" action. But otherwise it looks like it. The rules are very hazy on what's considered a defensive Power. Obviously anything in the Defense Power category is, but theoretically anything that provides any kind of defense that can be activated/used as a 0 Phase can be used as well. Things like Absorption or a Damage Shield should not qualify, but may turn on a defensive Power is linked to them.

I suppose this makes sense. You can Multiple Power Attack, why not Multiple Power Defend?

I don't see a reason. However, I would probably rule that as an Abort you can only activate a single Defensive Power -- while you can obviously take multiple abort actions by rule, I would (being me) want them all tied to the same SFX/Reasonability. In this case, I would allow:

- The abort to dodge (easy enough, what am I going to say? No, I don't want you too?)

- Assignment of CSLs as appropriate to said abort

- Activation of any one appropriate defensive power.

I say that because to me, moving a CSL is like a reflex, second, dodging is precisely that, and third, activating more than one power says, to me, you're on point, collected, and know what you're doing in advance. You could, however, argue just the opposite. Again, this is -me- not -the book-. YMMV, but it's an Abort, not a regular move.

Ah, well then I sit corrected. I'd stand corrected, but it's uncomfortable to type while standing.

So basically, assuming you haven't put all of them into a Multipower or something that limits the number of Powers active, you can simultaneously Dodge while turning Invisible and Desolid, Activating a FF and a FW, and Shrinking dropping all of your CSLs into DCV (but not also Missile Deflecting because using Missile Deflection uses more than a 0 Phase same as Dodge). I'll have to remember that next time I'm playing Avatar (who potentially has this combination except for the FW).

The key here is that you can only do one action that results in either a skill/char roll (Block, Dive For Cover), but as many 0-phase actions as you wish (activating powers, etc).

So, you could activate a Force Wallat no range (which doesn't require an attack roll, as far as I can tell), but you couldn't activate a Force Wall at range (which does require an attack roll).

Of course, this assumes that the power that requires an attack roll isn't based on a trigger, which tends to change everything.

If I remember correctly, that's a GM's call. I definitely allow that in my game.

Yeh, here it is. I'm looking at the 5ER PDF file (so the page numbering is different) "However with a GM's permission, a character can abort to protect others..." (Page 362 of the PDF)

The key here is that you can only do one action that results in either a skill/char roll (Block, Dive For Cover), but as many 0-phase actions as you wish (activating powers, etc).

So, you could activate a Force Wallat no range (which doesn't require an attack roll, as far as I can tell), but you couldn't activate a Force Wall at range (which does require an attack roll).

Of course, this assumes that the power that requires an attack roll isn't based on a trigger, which tends to change everything.

I'd have to look it up but I can't see a problem in principle with activating a force wall that has range - it seems like a pretty classic use of the power. I probably would not allow you to use it to englobe the attacker (actually I definitely wouldn't) but I'd allow you to interpose the wall between the attacker and you or the attacker and someone else, in most cases (certainly against ranged attacks, and for a FW of the minimum size needed to block the attack).

I vaguely recall that even movement can be a defensive action in some circumstances, so presumably you could abort to move too. Mind you if I am right in that, who needs 'dive for cover'?

I don't see a reason. However' date=' I would [i']probably[/i] rule that as an Abort you can only activate a single Defensive Power -- while you can obviously take multiple abort actions by rule, I would (being me) want them all tied to the same SFX/Reasonability. In this case, I would allow:

- The abort to dodge (easy enough, what am I going to say? No, I don't want you too?)

- Assignment of CSLs as appropriate to said abort

- Activation of any one appropriate defensive power.

I say that because to me, moving a CSL is like a reflex, second, dodging is precisely that, and third, activating more than one power says, to me, you're on point, collected, and know what you're doing in advance. You could, however, argue just the opposite. Again, this is -me- not -the book-. YMMV, but it's an Abort, not a regular move.

Being you, being me... we agree on this. I'd allow everything under the sun of it's all SFX related to the same maneuver.