VPP: Number crunching, Complementary Skill, or bonus Skill Level?

DataPacRat

My newest gadgeteer currently has a small VPP, a 6-point pool with OAF.

One of the examples for Skills as a Power lists "Lockgun: Lockpicking 12- (9 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 4 points", which seems a sane enough writeup.

However... what if the PC already has Paramedics 13-, and I want her to pull out a medkit? Would it be better to describe it as Paramedics 14- (13 Active, OAF, total cost 6) and used as a complementary skill roll... or would the odds be better if it was built as a /bonus/ to her current Paramedics skill with "Skill Level: +4 to three related skills including Paramedics (12 Active Points); OAF. Total cost: 6 points"?

Re: VPP: Number crunching, Complementary Skill, or bonus Skill Level?

However... what if the PC already has Paramedics 13-' date=' and I want her to pull out a medkit? Would it be better to describe it as Paramedics 14- (13 Active, OAF, total cost 6) and used as a complementary skill roll... or would the odds be better if it was built as a /bonus/ to her current Paramedics skill with "Skill Level: +4 to three related skills including Paramedics (12 Active Points); OAF. Total cost: 6 points"?[/quote']

I would say buy it as bonuses if the character already has the base skill.

Note that you will be running afoul of two different rules, one of which has been mentioned (a 6 point VPP can contain Powers with a maximum of 6 Active Points each) and the other being that Limitations can only be placed on Skill Levels of at least (edit: 3) points.

Now, the question is whether buying a Skill bonus is a Skill Level or not. There is a 2-point Skill Level that is listed as +1 to one Skill. Best bet is check with your GM, if you're not him.

Well' date=' to start off with, you can't put a 9 Active Point ability into a 6 point VPP. :)[/quote']

Whoops; I saw under Distributing Power Pool Points mention of the combined /Real/ Cost not exceeding the Pool, and forgot about that little detail about each power's /Active/ cost being so limited, too.

Note that you will be running afoul of two different rules' date=' one of which has been mentioned (a 6 point VPP can contain Powers with a maximum of 6 Active Points each) and the other being that Limitations can only be placed on Skill Levels of at least 5 points.[/quote']

Are you sure? I'm looking at my book (Fifth Edition Unrevised), under Skills, at Skill Levels, which reads, "The smallest Skill Level on which a character can place a Limitation is a 3-point Level." Has that been changed?

It sounds like you're trying to mix a Skill Pool with a Gadget Pool. It might be less confusing to build them separately.

'Skill Pool'? I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with what you're referring to.

Are you sure? I'm looking at my book (Fifth Edition Unrevised)' date=' under Skills, at Skill Levels, which reads, "The smallest Skill Level on which a character can place a Limitation is a 3-point Level." Has that been changed?[/quote']

You are correct.

The smallest Combat Skill Level on which a character can place a Limitation is a 5-point Level.

The smallest Skill Level on which a character can place a Limitation is a 3-point Level.

'Skill Pool'? I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with what you're referring to.

It's an idea from The Ultimate Skill. A gadget based VPP can be used to grant skills the character doesn't normally have as well as give bonuses to ones that they do have. However a skill based VPP doesn't necessarily have to take the Focus Limitation. It's like the Cramming Talent on steroids.

It's an idea from The Ultimate Skill. A gadget based VPP can be used to grant skills the character doesn't normally have as well as give bonuses to ones that they do have. However a skill based VPP doesn't necessarily have to take the Focus Limitation. It's like the Cramming Talent on steroids.

Well, since I'd also like to use this pool for binoculars and other Enhanced Senses, flashlight, waldoes (Extra Limbs), a small fire extinguisher, and similar handy items, I don't think a skill-only VPP would be the best way to build it.

Well' date=' since I'd also like to use this pool for binoculars and other Enhanced Senses, flashlight, waldoes (Extra Limbs), a small fire extinguisher, and similar handy items, I don't think a skill-only VPP would be the best way to build it.[/quote']

That would be a problem. Special Powers (including ALL Enhanced Sences, and Extra Limbs) can never be put in a framework (5ER page 311).

That would be a problem. Special Powers (including ALL Enhanced Sences' date=' and Extra Limbs) can never be put in a framework (5ER page 311).[/quote']

Most GMs I know of routinely ignore that rule for Powers that make sense.

That would be a problem. Special Powers (including ALL Enhanced Sences' date=' and Extra Limbs) can never be put in a framework (5ER page 311).[/quote']

My Unrevised 5e book suggests that 'never' may be circumvented: p203: "Characters cannot purchase Special Powers and Talents in Power Frameworks, except with the GM's permission (for example, a GM should allow a character to build sunglasses [Flash Defense] or a telescope [Enhanced Senses] with his Gadget VPP)." (Emphasis added.)

I'm planning on scribbling out a list of suggested powers for this PC's Gadget VPP to give to the GM, and to generally stick within that list during play.

"Never" is such a strong word.

And has no place in Hero.

Special Powers shouldn't be put in Frameworks without GM Permission.