Alien Wars: DropZone PBP

Labrat

Howling Commandos in Space!

Hey everyone

I'm looking for some cool 'legendary squadron' names that are half-WWII throwback names and half young-Space Era names. I'm planning to run an Alien Wars game (so far I call it 'DropZone') in the near future and just want a grunt-heavy familiar feel to spice up the newness of the space marine theme.

Any ideas?

So far I've come up with these:

"The Swords of Mars" (kind of hate/love this one)

"Solar Hawks" (sounds more like the Thundercats knock-off... SilverHawks)

"Solar Furies"

Right now I'm thinking that these all stink. Any help? I'd like to hear what you all think of a "Sgt. Fury vs. Aliens" game, too. If you have any ideas or advice then I'm all ears.

Re: Alien Wars: DropZone PBP

Take some of your own guidelines as advice and look up WWII unit nicknames, and come up with something similar.

Martian Rangers

Low Orbit Lightning

Solar Hurricanes (a play on solar wind)

Mare Vaporum Dragoons

Immortals of Olympus

I tried to do a search but my Google-Fu roll failed me. Have any good links?

Thanks for the suggestions, BTW!

I didn't find anything that stood out as exceptional' date=' but "WWII unit nickname" got a lot of half-decent hits.[/quote']

Ah... makes sense. Couldn't get more Obvious than that, my Captain. :nonp:

I was looking for 'legendary divisions' and 'legendary squads'.

I really like "Immortals of Olympus". It bases the unit firmly in Terran territory.

"Martian Rangers" reminds me too much of Marvin and Martian Manhunter... don't know if I could get past that. Stupid Pop Culture immersion.

Howling Commandos in Space!

Hey everyone

I'm looking for some cool 'legendary squadron' names that are half-WWII throwback names and half young-Space Era names. I'm planning to run an Alien Wars game (so far I call it 'DropZone') in the near future and just want a grunt-heavy familiar feel to spice up the newness of the space marine theme.

Any ideas?

So far I've come up with these:

"The Swords of Mars" (kind of hate/love this one)

"Solar Hawks" (sounds more like the Thundercats knock-off... SilverHawks)

"Solar Furies"

Right now I'm thinking that these all stink. Any help? I'd like to hear what you all think of a "Sgt. Fury vs. Aliens" game, too. If you have any ideas or advice then I'm all ears.

A personal favorite from a mostly unplayed campaign of way too long ago:

"The Wraith Rangers" (an LRRP / Delta force group emulation - small unit, deep insertions,

etc - component of the Orion Starforces)

-Carl-

I was actually thinking of Mars on that one...Olympus Mons.

Unless you consider Mars firmly within Terran territory, in which case...carry on.

I would consider Mars in the 'Terran' system during the period of this genre, especially since Earthlings have 'annexed' the entire Solar System where it resides.

"Solar Flares"

"First Beyond Pluto"

"(Milky) Way Warriors"

"Luna Skulls"

*Writing all suggestions down! Thanks guys! I'll be using quite a few of these to name other rival units competing for the same battle glory!*

Great stuff guys!

At first I wasn't really too keen on Allen Thomas' vision for the WWII look to the standard issue gear given to the soldiers in Alien Wars, but now I'm really intrigued to follow that line of thinking and see how much I can work it up. That new perspective has me picking up AW again (having read through it once already just for completion's sake).

Here is a 'short list' of what I've liked/done so far:

Apocalypse Riders

Comet Jockeys

Cosmic Marauders

First Beyond Pluto (even though it is no longer a 'planet')

Galactic Hawks

Immortals of Olympus

Maelstrom Knights

Mare Vaporum Sharks

Meteor Swarm

Saturn’s Ring Wraiths

Sol Defense Prime

Solar Flares

Swords of Mars

Terran Furies

The Apollo Dragoons

Vacuum Rats

Xenohunters

Some are better than others. Can anyone tell me how much 'choice' one has in getting placed in a favored unit? Are soldiers routinely assigned based on need or is there an application process? Both?

Thanks!

Great stuff guys!

At first I wasn't really too keen on Allen Thomas' vision for the WWII look to the standard issue gear given to the soldiers in Alien Wars, but now I'm really intrigued to follow that line of thinking and see how much I can work it up. That new perspective has me picking up AW again (having read through it once already just for completion's sake).

Here is a 'short list' of what I've liked/done so far:

Apocalypse Riders

Comet Jockeys

Cosmic Marauders

First Beyond Pluto (even though it is no longer a 'planet')

Galactic Hawks

Immortals of Olympus

Maelstrom Knights

Mare Vaporum Sharks

Meteor Swarm

Saturn’s Ring Wraiths

Sol Defense Prime

Solar Flares

Swords of Mars

Terran Furies

The Apollo Dragoons

Vacuum Rats

Xenohunters

Some are better than others. Can anyone tell me how much 'choice' one has in getting placed in a favored unit? Are soldiers routinely assigned based on need or is there an application process? Both?

Thanks!

It's varied from time to time. Some units need all the bodies they can get, so it's easy to pick one of those to get into, and also easy to just end up there. Some are a little more exclusive and you need to prove yourself first.

There have been times when your hometown determined what unit you'd end up in. And there have been times when the unit had to do its own recruiting (ie no one was assigned to them by the powers-that-be).

IIRC, the government through most of the Alien Wars timeline is pretty strongly centralized, so most likely you'd have people being assigned to units, with the cream of the crop being able to opt into elite units. The armies of the other stars may not be this centralized though, and go with the hometown or independent recruiting model.

Guest Major Tom

Here's some that come from history, movies, and TV:

Hat in the Ring Squadron

Bug Stompers

Black Sheep

Angry Angels

In addition, you could give some of the units in your campaign names that

would be suggestive of their ability to bring death and destruction upon

the enemy -- names like the Grim Reapers or the Revenants, for example.

And don't forget that squadron or unit names can consist of little more than

their squadron/unit number preceded by an aggressive name -- for example,

the Fighting 69th.

Major Tom :bmk:

The Deep Patrol

Far Walkers

Vacuum Breathers

This is deliberately avoiding any "classic" SF references that might or might not still be around.... Star Wars, Stark Trek, etc. Occasionally units pickup funny names from "old" media, ya know?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, and in all reality you'd be 100% correct. I'm sure there'd be a few homage names like:

Skywalker Seven

New Jedi Order

Clone Troopers

The Ceti Alpha Six

Kirk's Kamakazis

Kirk's Red Shirts

The Enterprise Landing Party

Picard's Better Squad

The Real Klingons

etc...

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming. I would especially like more advice on the do's and don'ts of a 'Space Marine' like campaign, specifically any Alien Wars experience would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Threadus Ressurecti!

Hey y'all

I'm doing more prep work for my Alien Wars campaign and looking for a more 'military survival horror' feel. I've been watching movies especially. So far I have the following film in my genre list:

Aliens (the definitive genre film)

Starship Troopers (I know... I know... don't hate me)

Day of the Dead

Dog Soldiers

Reign of Fire (saving more for my Post-Apoc game once PAH comes out)

The Hills Have Eyes 2

Here's one that I just can't remember the name of, I saw it On Demand about two months ago and it was an obscure movie but actually pretty good. It's got 'watch' or 'patrol' in it's name and it's about a platoon of WWII soldiers that happen upon an entrenched camp of German soldiers, when they demand that the Germans surrender the Germans warn them to stay out of the trench. Obviously the US soldiers don't and it turns out that there's a supernatural presence there that will not let them escape. No famous actors (by my limited knowledge) were in it. There was a force that was creating paranoia throughout the squad, a few scenes underground where the green rookie saw his 'ghost self' among the other soldiers that had already died, and a barbwire scene... any help you can provide would be appreciated. I've exhausted my Netflix search for this one.

Anyway, if you can think of any others I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Any other suggestions for the 'military survival horror' genre?

Threadus Ressurecti!

Hey y'all

I'm doing more prep work for my Alien Wars campaign and looking for a more 'military survival horror' feel. I've been watching movies especially. So far I have the following film in my genre list:

Aliens (the definitive genre film)

Starship Troopers (I know... I know... don't hate me)

Day of the Dead

Dog Soldiers

Reign of Fire (saving more for my Post-Apoc game once PAH comes out)

The Hills Have Eyes 2

Here's one that I just can't remember the name of, I saw it On Demand about two months ago and it was an obscure movie but actually pretty good. It's got 'watch' or 'patrol' in it's name and it's about a platoon of WWII soldiers that happen upon an entrenched camp of German soldiers, when they demand that the Germans surrender the Germans warn them to stay out of the trench. Obviously the US soldiers don't and it turns out that there's a supernatural presence there that will not let them escape. No famous actors (by my limited knowledge) were in it. There was a force that was creating paranoia throughout the squad, a few scenes underground where the green rookie saw his 'ghost self' among the other soldiers that had already died, and a barbwire scene... any help you can provide would be appreciated. I've exhausted my Netflix search for this one.

I've seen that movie. It's set in WWI by the way.

It's called Deathwatch (I had to look it up myself, and never would have got it if you hadn't mentioned the "watch" part).

I've seen that movie. It's set in WWI by the way.

It's called Deathwatch (I had to look it up myself, and never would have got it if you hadn't mentioned the "watch" part).

:thumbup: THANK YOU! If I ever have another child I'm naming it 'Captain Obvious' after you... The elusive name of that movie has been grinding me all day.

WWI... yes, I recall it now. Rep for thee and thine own! [D'oh! That is once I'm free to give you Rep again. Stop being so good at answering my questions darn you!]

Threadus Ressurecti!

Hmmmm.....Have you taken a look at "The Keep" ? SS soldiers versus

inexplicable occult phenomena in an old Eastern European citadel.

-Carl-

Hmmmm.....Have you taken a look at "The Keep" ? SS soldiers versus

inexplicable occult phenomena in an old Eastern European citadel.

-Carl-

No I haven't but I'm going to add it to my Netflix queue asap! Thanks!

I was just thinking the second Starship Troopers movie, poor excuse for gratuitous topless shots that it is, would be more in the survival/horror vein than the first movie.

Although the first movie does have a high cheese value.

There's also Day of the Triffids/Night of the Triffids. Although only one is a movie and it's more "civilians attempting to be military".

From our Sci-Fi/Fireflyverse campaign:

The Rifter Ratz (obvious rivalry with the Vacuum Rats, if you use them too)

Other thoughts:

Goddard's Gospel

Rico's Roughnecks (yah, Starship Troopers name. So sue me.)

Heinlein's Hellions

Vandenburg's Valkyries

Bastards Never Yield

Light Horse

von Braun's Demons

Atomic Fury

Planetbusters

Silent Death (so sue me.)

Sol's Defenders

High Guard (so sue me.)

Thin Red Line

Gary's Guerillas

Starborne Rangers

Most really cool names didn't get picked because they were cool. They were a nicknames associated with a unit, that the unit made cool you might say.

Big Red One

Devil Dogs

Red Devils

Black Watch

Lucky Seventh

are all examples of nicknames to have popped up.

For me in an RPG a unit nickname sounds more believable if it sounds spontaneous rather than the GM picked a "cool" one.

But that is just me. ;)