Ogre NND Question

Grimble

Re: Ogre NND Question

I think that is the point though. Two points,even:

1. There is no such explanation for THIS character, so, again, not a top piece of character design, and

2. Whilst you can say that ANYTHING is so, I think that the best you could hope for here is something that looks golden from a distance, but up close smells like what it really is. Working in a fantastic genre doesn't mean there are no narrative rules any more.

I think the whole point of this particular character design was to demonstrate a full write-up using the rules and power builds in the Ultimate Brick, and nothing more. Ogre just happened to be who they used. Poor choice, but I don't think it was intended as "a top piece of character design" from the start.

Still, bottom line is I don't have to allow it in games I run, and if others are happy to have it in games they run, good luck to them.

Agreed 100%.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, as an exercise, would ought to create a 'bottom piece of character design', one so ill fitting and badly conceived that you'd rather gnaw of your own elbows than be associated, even by proximity with it.

I'm trying desperately hard not to deliver the punch line to this one....:nonp:

Just because Ogre has the STR to apply that kind of pressure doesn't mean he applies it all' date=' or applies it in a way that causes harm.[/quote']

That being the case, it would beg a few more questions:

(a) What STR is he using? ie what level of STR would be needed to get this 6d6 NND effect?

(B) What if he applies his full STR to the same tactic? Does the target take a 6d6 NND plus a full-STR Crush? Does he take added damage?

I don't buy the "applies STR in a way that causes no harm". He is applying pressure to a human body. We're not all that compressible. The Heimlich maneuver hurts. It can cause physical injury. If you're choking, that's preferable to the alternative, but it's not pleasant.

Here I agree. OGRE should not have this power. The power itself is fine and there is nothing wrong with it' date=' but Ogre doesn't have the finesse and restraint to even consider trying something like it.[/quote']

Oh, I dunno - it could be some sort of idiot savant type ability.

I guess this doesn't really bother me all that much.

That being the case, it would beg a few more questions:

(a) What STR is he using? ie what level of STR would be needed to get this 6d6 NND effect?

0 STR. All he needs is GM approval. Different GMs will require/accpt different explanations, or may require the character have a certain level of something or other for whatever is being bought, but that applies to everything, not just Ogre's Bearhug power.

(B) What if he applies his full STR to the same tactic? Does the target take a 6d6 NND plus a full-STR Crush? Does he take added damage?

Then Ogre would do 12d6 of normal damage. As you said yourself, he's applying his full STR. Sure, he's applying some level of strength when performing the Bearhug, but strength is not the same as STR. STR is a game mechanic, strength is a SFX.

I don't buy the "applies STR in a way that causes no harm". He is applying pressure to a human body. We're not all that compressible. The Heimlich maneuver hurts. It can cause physical injury. If you're choking, that's preferable to the alternative, but it's not pleasant.

Then don't buy it. Some schmuck let Ogre buy it. Besides, why are you getting hung up on all the little details? Since when does physical injury equal BODY damage? I few weeks ago I was physically injured about a dozen times in the course of a week. Even taking into account a pro-rated BODY REC and a minimum of 1 BODY per injury, I should have been left dying. Yet for some reason I seemed to be completely unaffected, short term and long term. I didn't take BODY, I just took so much STUN it left bruises, abrasions, scrapes, etc. I even lost some blood, but not enough to reduce by BODY even by a single point. At least not in my opinion.

Oh, I dunno - it could be some sort of idiot savant type ability.

I guess this doesn't really bother me all that much.

If Ogre was an idiot savant, I'd imagine him having Perfect Pitch and the ability to play back any song he hears on a lap harp before imagining him having some innate "squeeze me" talent.

But other than that, it doesn't bother me much either. In fact, I completely didn't care about it until this thread started.

Thanks Grimble! ;)