The relation between NND & Does Body: Killing Attacks

dropblack

I’m trying to understand how the disintegrator ray (Gadgets & Gear p. 12) is put together. I guess, in essence I’m trying to understand the Does Body modifier, and why it’s being used in an attack that already does Body.

RKA 6d6, NND (defense is ED Force Field; +1), Does Body (+1)

Why has the Does Body modifier been added if it’s an RKA? Don’t RKAs already do Body? Is it because of the NND modifier? Do all Killing Attacks with NND need to have the Does Body modifier as well?

Re: The relation between NND & Does Body: Killing Attacks

I’m trying to understand how the disintegrator ray (Gadgets & Gear p. 12) is put together. I guess, in essence I’m trying to understand the Does Body modifier, and why it’s being used in an attack that already does Body.

RKA 6d6, NND (defense is ED Force Field; +1), Does Body (+1)

Why has the Does Body modifier been added if it’s an RKA? Don’t RKAs already do Body? Is it because of the NND modifier? Do all Killing Attacks with NND need to have the Does Body modifier as well?

Yes, they do. NND automatically converts all attacks to stun-only unless you buy the Does Body modifier.

It also shows the almost limitless diversity of approach in Hero: I almost always do disintegrator rays with ranged Body drain, as objects do not get recoveries, IIRC.

It's cool.

Ranged Body drain = 4d6, 14 points of effect, 7 Body no STUN

1d6+1 RKA NND Does Body = 4-5 BODY and STUN multiplier

Enough choice is a wonderful thing. Too much choice is a terrible thing...:nonp:

The stat recovery from a Drain is a function of the Drain, not the target, IIRC. So an object not entirely destroyed by a BODY Drain will recover 2.5 BODY per turn until it is back to its original BODY.

I could be wrong.

The stat recovery from a Drain is a function of the Drain, not the target, IIRC. So an object not entirely destroyed by a BODY Drain will recover 2.5 BODY per turn until it is back to its original BODY.

I could be wrong.

You are not wrong but page 151 notes that the GM may well rule that objects drained of Body need repairs rather than recovering normally. I have a feeling that was more official than a GM option in previous edition, but I could be wrong.

Why has the Does Body modifier been added if it’s an RKA? Don’t RKAs already do Body? Is it because of the NND modifier?

Yes, it's because of the NND modifier. "Does BODy" is usually only seen with powers that have either No Normal Defense or Attack Vs Limited Defense Advantages, because those advantages normally make an attack "STUN only." The "Does BODy" Advantage allows them to do BOD domage.

Do all Killing Attacks with NND need to have the Does Body modifier as well?

No. You can have a Killing Attack that is No Normal Defense but does not Do Body. It will be a Killing Attack that does Stun damage only. You would roll the BOD damage for purposes of calculating STUN but not apply any BOD damage to the target.

I suppose you COULD try something like putting "Does BODy" on your PREsence, or a Flash attack, or more likely a STUN Drain, but I wouldn't expect to get away with it.

Lucius Alexander

An Armor Piercing Palindromedary with Does BODy