Satellite

tkdguy

Here's an interesting program I spotted on another board. You'll see a simulation of the earth-moon system. Create a satellite by clicking and draging your mouse anywhere in space. Try to get a stable orbit around the earth or the moon. The earth and moon will affect the satellite's motion.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/applets/satellites.html

So far, I've gotten two satellites orbiting the earth. The first one has been going on for over an hour of real time.

Re: Satellite

Great find. I was chaparoning my wife's fifth grade class to the planetarium today and was fooling with it on one of the classroom computers.

Caught a few of the kids attention when one that had gone off the edge for a while came back through and then left again.

;)

I timed the moon's orbit around the earth, which takes 32 seconds. If you want to round off that number to 30 seconds, then the moon orbits the earth twice in a minute. That means a year would take about six minutes, and an hour of real time would be about ten years of "game time."

Just a rough estimate on how long your satellites last in game time.

Edit: Never mind. I timed the orbit a few more times, and found out the time of one revolution varied from 19 seconds to 32 seconds. Of course, I'm on dial-up, so it could just be my connection.

Have tried for hours to hit L-4' date=' either too fast or too slow.[/quote']

L4 doesn't exist without the sun, does it?

Had one retrograde one that lasted better than 2 hours. Highly chaotic.

Clockwise orbits are relatively easy to make stable. Counterclockwise orbits are really hard (or else I haven't figured out the secret yet).

I've had two satellites going in each direction (four in total) for about an hour now. :D

I've got clusters of six and fifteen going. The former has been going ninety minutes, the latter sixty.

What I find hard is getting one orbiting the moon....

I suspect the extremely exaggerated radius of the moon makes it impossible.

I had two still running thirty minutes shy of twenty four hours, but I had to reboot.

Try this: Leave your mouse pointer in one position somewhere near the orbit of the moon, then start clicking rapidly about five seconds before the moon crosses nearby. Interesting simulation.