Make everyone fight at your level... a heroic fighter in a supers world.

Remjin

Re: Make everyone fight at your level... a heroic fighter in a supers world.

I think the issue is that buffing him into superhuman levels only covers STR and DEX (and the associated PD/ED) - it doesn't cover using superpowers against him. Specifically' date=' it doesn't cover, say, using telepathy, or insubstantability, or Teleportation, or anything else that isn't directly countered by traditional kung fu maneuvers. And once you start getting into powers that can cancel THAT out, you've effectively destroyed the character concept of "normal trained martial artist that can debuff people down to his level".[/quote']

You can jack up whatever attributes you feel appropriate (actually I think DEX and SPD will be the big issues unless he boosts them too). Against most attack powers, all he needs is a high DCV so he isn't hit in the first place. For mental powers, just give him Mental Defense and/or a high EGO based on his mental discipline and willpower. Against a normal, those things will never come up, so he still fights the normal on the same terms. For powers like Flash and Darkness, you could give him combat sense or something, which might be a borderline superpower, but not too far out there.

True he may not be able to deal effectively with Teleporters and Desolid characters (depending on how they are built), but the same could be said for most supers too. Heck, those powers are for all intents and purposes escape clauses for villains anyway.

Maybe my suggestion is not the answer the original question sought, but it seems to me easier to do and more conceptually coherent than the Monk of Enfeeblement.

If its right, it isn't opinion, its fact. Am I not right?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...3/4 DR PDr, and EDr 120 points, limit not vs attacks of 7D6 -8D6 or less?

HA+4D6 or so , only vs PD> 12 or 15, what ever human max is these days...

and you're getting kinda close already...

I think this is a pretty interesting concept. I was thinking you could do it from the other direction- Buy Armor/Mental Defense/Power Defense, IPE, Limited Only Against Superhuman/Supertech powers. You fire an energy beam at him, and it harmlessly washes over him. Pick up a baseball bat, and now he starts fighting.

The problems with this are firstly, movement powers and the aformentioned speed, which might be better done with a Uncontrollable HtH drain-type mechanic- you fly around, but once he grabs you, suddenly you're grounded. The other problem is when the brick picks up a truck and hits you with it instead. Still needs some refinement or Handwavium on the limitation.

Conversely, lose the IPE and make it a Force Field, 0 End, possibly Persistent, again limited Only Against Powers. This exaggerates the mental image I've been getting of a "nullified field" in which powers have no effect.

Mad Fnodir, that was what I had originally thought would be the solution... a defensive deal with those kinds of limitations. Like you said, it just has some missing areas and could need the handwavium additive to work.

All in all, many good suggestions. Gives me a lot to work with.

All in all' date=' many good suggestions. Gives me a lot to work with.[/quote']

The real trick is to ensure that his powers work against the PCs.

Everything else is just you making stuff up.

This is the secret to building characters like Rogue, too, incidentally. As an NPC, she doesn't need a precise mechanical build to simulate her powers. As a PC, she would.

It would be perfectly reasonable to build her as a Multiform, with each slot representing what she would be like if she absorbed a single PC's powers. (And any NPCs that she would be likely to drain.)

Sadly, some character conceptions work much better as NPCs than PCs.

The real trick is to ensure that his powers work against the PCs.

Everything else is just you making stuff up.

This is the secret to building characters like Rogue, too, incidentally. As an NPC, she doesn't need a precise mechanical build to simulate her powers. As a PC, she would.

It would be perfectly reasonable to build her as a Multiform, with each slot representing what she would be like if she absorbed a single PC's powers. (And any NPCs that she would be likely to drain.)

Sadly, some character conceptions work much better as NPCs than PCs.

Yes, I've GMed before, and I understand the concept... but thanks, yes, it is easier. Overall, however, I find that having some good mechanics is a good idea for weird situations, as parties always tend to create, to keep the nebulousness of a character relatively minor. Since there is no point limit for an NPC, though, it does make it a bit easier. =)