How do you become a Jedi

LordGhee

Re: How do you become a Jedi

Anakin loves' date=' but fears -- and, unable or unwilling to control his fear, pursues power. He lets his anger at a perceived betrayal dominate him, and inflicts grievous wounds on the one he most loved.[/quote']

I look at the Force this way: "The Dark Side" intensifies your emotions. If you fear, it makes your fear uncontrollable. If you're angry, it makes your anger uncontrollable. All it needs is a little bit of emotion and it turns it against you. This is why to use the Light Side, you have to suppress your emotions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jedi are a group that reconizes that their are orthers that can use the force (the sith' date=' people who do not make the cut to enter the temple). They never called the first sith anything but sith and desiribe him as skilled in the ways of the force.[/quote']

Just to point out, when Qui-Gon first fought Darth Maul, his comment was "It was well-trained in the Jedi arts."

Though I didn't like the prequels' date=' I liked Samual Jackson as Mace Windu. I always got the impression that he was one step from going all Pulp Fiction in his fight scenes. He gave of this aura of tightly controlled anger, yet he was always in calm and cool.[/quote']

"What?!?"

"Do they speak English in What?"

"WHAT?!?"

"ENGLISH, MOTHER-F*****, DO YOU SPEAK IT?!?"

*snap-hiss of lightsaber*

Heh. Great scenes. And yes, according to d20 Star Wars, of the seven different Jedi martial arts, Mace Windu is one of the few who has the expertise to use the seventh. Most of those who do already have mastered two or three of the others; everyone learns the 'beginner' form, Basic Strike, Offensive Strike, Martial Block, Martial Dodge, plus other items -- but develop beyond that as their Masters and life experiences teach them. Form VII is a very 'controlled passion' form.

Though they never really get named, I stuck some names on for my own use:

• Form I: Beginner
  • Form II: Duellist
  • Form III: Defender
  • Form IV: Swashbuckler
  • Form V: Crusader
  • Form VI: Diplomat
  • Form VII: Samurai

Gee. Maybe you should read the descriptions?

From Star Wars Galaxies Stratics:

Since the dawn of Jedi history, seven fighting disciplines have arisen, known as the Seven Forms. The Forms represent differing styles and philosophies of combat. Each Form has its respective merits, and as seen in Attack of the Clones, all of them are still in use.

Form I: Beginner

Millennia before the Clone Wars, advanced technology replaced metal swords with energy-beam lightsabers. In this transition the first Form was born. Jedi Masters created Form I from ancient sword-fighting traditions, since the principles of blade combat remained much the same. The basics of attack, parry, body target zones, and the practice drills called velocities are all here.

formi.jpg

Young Jedi still begin their training by learning Form I.

Form II: Duellist

The ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat became Form II, advancing the precision of blade manipulation to its finest possible degree and producing the greatest dueling masters the galaxy has ever seen.

Form II is an archaism studied by almost no one in the Jedi Order, because it is not relevant to current tactical situations, in which Jedi enemies rarely fight with lightsabers. Even with the resurgence of the Sith, confrontation of an enemy with a lightsaber is an exceedingly rare prospect for a Jedi, so they continue to focus on more practical Forms. Sith expecting to battle lightsaber-wielding Jedi, however, find Form II a powerful technique.

formii.jpg

Form II is the chosen discipline of the machiavellian Separatist Count Dooku, who wields it to devastating effect. His utterly precise moves overwhelm Jedi who are not accustomed to the special requirements of lightsaber dueling. With Form II, Dooku holds his own even against Master Yoda.

Known practitioners: Count Dooku, Exar Kun

Form III: Defender

The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these weapons spread widely into the hands of evil-doers, Jedi had to develop unique means of defending themselves. Form III thus arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this origin to become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Form III maximizes defensive protection in a style characterized by tight, efficient movements that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some of the other Forms.

Obi-Wan Kenobi takes up a dedication to Form III after the death of Qui-Gon Jinn (who favored Form IV), since it was apparent to Kenobi that Jinn's defense was insufficient against the Sith techniques of Darth Maul. True Form III masters are considered invincible. Even in his elder years, Kenobi remains a formidable Form III practitioner.

formiii.jpg

Even the extraordinarily deadly Jango Fett is unable to penetrate Obi-Wan Kenobi's superb lightsaber defenses.

Known practitioners: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Form IV: Swashbuckler

Form IV is the most acrobatic Form, heavily emphasizing Jedi abilities to run, jump, and spin in phenomenal ways by using the Force. Masters of Form IV incorporate all of the ways in which the Force helps them go beyond what is physically possible. Their lightsaber combat is astonishing to watch, filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a Jedi may be all but a blur. Yoda, with his deep emphasis on the Force in all things, is a Form IV master. Form IV was also the chosen discipline of Qui-Gon Jinn and the early choice of his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi.

formiv.jpg

Ordinarily Yoda walks with a slight limp, his ancient body wracked with arthritis and the normal infirmities of old age. In combat however, the diminutive Jedi Master presents extraordinary strength and reflexes - entirely the result of focusing the Force through his physical body and not just his spirit as is his usual emphasis.

Known practitioners: Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn

Form V: Crusader

During an era when Jedi were called upon to more actively maintain the peace in the galaxy, Form V arose alongside Form IV to address a need for greater power among the Jedi. Jedi Masters who felt that Form III could be too passive developed Form V. A Form III master might be undefeatable, but neither could he necessarily overcome his enemy. Form V focuses on strength and lightsaber attack moves. This Form exploits the ability of the lightsaber to block a blaster bolt and turns this defensive move into an offensive attack by deflecting the bolt deliberately towards an opponent. A dedication to the power and strength necessary to defeat an enemy characterizes the philosophy of Form V, which some Jedi describe by the maxim "peace through superior firepower." To some Jedi Knights, Form V represents a worthy discipline prepared for any threat; to others Form V seems to foster an inappropriate focus on dominating others.

formv.jpg

As the Clone War begins, Anakin Skywalker dedicates himself to Form V in his increasingly blind quest for strength. As Darth Vader he will still be using Form V when he confronts Obi-Wan Kenobi and later Luke Skywalker.

Known practitioners: Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker

Form VI: Diplomat

In the time of Palpatine's Chancellorship, Form VI is the current standard in Jedi lightsaber training. This Form balances the emphases of other Forms with overall moderation, in keeping with the Jedi quest to achieve true harmony and justice without resorting to the rule of power. It is considered the "diplomat's Form" because it is less intensive in its demands than the other disciplines, allowing Jedi to spend more time developing their skills in perception, political strategy, and negotiation.

In practice, Form VI is a combination of Forms I, III, IV, and V. Young Jedi spend their first few years studying Form I and then a year or two with each additional Form before completing their training. By comparison, a Form VI master will spend at least ten years studying only that Form after completing the basic Form I training. Form VI well suits the modern Jedi's role in the galaxy, in which a Knight overly trained in martial combat might be at a loss to resolve a complex political conflict between star systems. However, full masters of other Forms sometimes consider Form VI to be insufficiently demanding.

formvi.jpg

In an increasingly dangerous galaxy, the "diplomat's Form" might not be enough against serious combat dangers. All the Form VI Jedi Knights who fight on Geonosis die in the arena battle.

Known practitioners: numerous Jedi, including those lost on Geonosis.

Form VII: Samurai

Only high-level masters of multiple Forms can achieve and control the ultimate descipline known as Form VII. This is the most difficult and demanding of all Forms, but it can eventually lead to fantastic power and skill. Form VII employs bold, direct movements, more open and kinetic than Form V but not so elaborate in appearance as Form IV.

In addition to very advanced Force-assisted jumps and movements, Form VII tactics overwhelm opponents with seemingly unconnected staccato sequences, making the Form highly unpredictable in battle. This trait makes for a much more difficult execution than the graceful, linked move sequences of Form IV. Form VII requires the intensity of Form V, but much greater energy since that focus is wielded more broadly. Form VII draws upon a deeper well of emotion than even Form V, yet masters it more fully. The outward bearing of a Form VII practitioner is one of calm, but the inner pressure verges on explosion.

Form VII is constantly under development since so few can achieve the necessary mastery to advance the art. As a result, it is typically specific to the master.

formvii.jpg

Form VII master Mace Windu fights alongside Form III practitioner Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Battle of Geonosis. This spiritually dangerous regimen cuts perilously close to the Sith intensity of focus on physical combat ability. Mace Windu is one of the only current practitioners of Form VII.

Author Dr. David West Reynolds and fencer Jack 'Stelen' Bobo derived the 'in universe' principles of lightsaber combat based on the action that appears in all five Star Wars films to date. An importance notice to the reader: these Jedi histories are not stunt choreographies nor intructions from Episodes I and II Stunt Coordinator Nick Gillard, who developed the exciting sequences we see on screen. Do not attempt fencing without proper safety precautions and training.

• 2 weeks later...

All right. Officially, the names are:

*1: Shien and Djem So are very similar forms, using many of the same techniques, but with different goals. Shien is designed as a semi-defensive form, protecting against multiple opponents and blaster bolts while enabling the user to get in and 'get things done'. Djem So, on the other hand, is designed as a more offensive form for use against a single lightsaber wielder -- again, so as to enable the practitioner to move the combat forward to completion.

*2: Juyo had been a complete form at one time, but after the majority of its few practitioners were killed, it degenerated into a half-complete form. Mace Windu took it up and completed it, and students likening the form to a tentacled predator known for its speed and lethality nicknamed it 'Vaapad'.

If you have any interest in 'em, follow the links; good stuff, Maynard.

• 10 months later...

:weep:

Love does not lead to fear of loss. Possessiveness leads to fear of loss, and fear leads to the Dark Side. Love != possessiveness.

I'd say that possessiveness leads to the Dark Side, shortcutting fear on that path, although I can't recall that appearing in any canon source, so treat that as just one balding white man's opinion.

If you want to say that being married exposes one to the temptation to be possessive (among other temptations), and exposing oneself to those temptations is incompatible with being a Jedi, fine.

Cool! so I can be a womanizing jerk, And a good Jedi! "I'm pregnant" Jedi Knight:"Good luck with that"

• 4 weeks later...

Another mention to be mindful of regarding the styles is a Jedi Knight must be familiar with all the forms mentioned above and have mastered at least one of them. I've been using the Styles in my campaign lately and it's made a bit of a difference. Originally the PC characters had different but reletively similar Manuvers but after introducing this into the campaign setting they have a better feel for their individual approach to combat

Also many of the styles seem to share a philosphy (I know I spelled that wrong) With existing martial arts that fall into a deep psychological niche such as Kungfu. As a result we adopted manuvers from some of these and using Kenjutsu as a base with influences from Fencing created the various arts. In all retrospect they differ only slightly but the differences show greatly in combat.

One they do mention would be the Trial of the flesh. It was mentioned that Anakin Skywalker was no stranger to this test' date=' I'm thinking that they are refering to the loss of his limb. Possibly some sort of pain tolerance test?[/quote']

Or a fight for your life. You cannot honestly know what a person will do or be, especially with the amount of power a Jedi can wield, until they've been in a high-stress potentially-lethal situation. That'd be my answer, anyhow.

Personally, I think Luke had the right of it in the EU. In the 6 movies, love proved itself stronger then both sides of the Force in Anakin. Love of wife turned him evil, love of son turned him good again. Luke would've learned a lesson from that, and thus decided to let Jedi benefit from the positive effects without making it a forbidden thing that could lead to the Dark Side.

Personally' date=' I think Luke had the right of it in the EU. In the 6 movies, love proved itself stronger then both sides of the Force in Anakin. Love of wife turned him evil, love of son turned him good again. Luke would've learned a lesson from that, and thus decided to let Jedi benefit from the positive effects without making it a forbidden thing that could lead to the Dark Side.[/quote']

Emotions are a tool of the Darkside. As wrong and messed up as that sounds it's actually true. Normally love leads to desire which in turn leads to jealousy which in turn leads to anger etc...(I'm not gonna quote Yoda here) With the Dark side everything actually seems often times very much in the right to the user and he/she believes this will benifit either himself and/or others regardless of immediate and long term reprecussions of these actions.

The way of the Jedi teaches one to be able to Let go of things. Never let anything enter one's life that he will not be able to realease. Even Luke learned this lesson in time...(I'm not gonna say the exact event cause that would technically be a spoiler...)

While technically the Jedi code Never says that a Jedi is unable to love or caring it does register that a step too far is a mile going back. In other words it's easy to let damage occur but MUCH more difficult to restore it.

Emotions are a tool of the Darkside. As wrong and messed up as that sounds it's actually true. Normally love leads to desire which in turn leads to jealousy which in turn leads to anger etc...

Interesting philosophy, if sadly wrong. Simply put, the Jedi made the same mistake their Sith opposition did -- they went to an extreme. In the case of the Jedi, though, it was extreme personal isolation, which is exactly what you're recommending. Love, anger, passion -- all are powerful tools for the Force User. It is what you do with those tools that makes you good (Jedi) or evil (Sith). Great passion, shown brightly, can bring enlightenment and joy to billions; great passion, given to destruction, can bring death to those same billions.

A true Jedi can be compared to those who seek Zen enlightenment. That Zen, that 'emptiness', is a singular flash -- simultaneously encompassing a moment and forever. Who you are after the moment of enlightenment is not who you were before that moment; even though it is an instant later, it is a lifetime, an incarnation, apart. During the search for the Zen moment, however, the student and master both do what life requires; they chop wood, they carry water, they eat and drink, they love and marry and have children and get old and, well, eventually die. Life does not stop because they seek that moment; life does not stop because they have found it.

During that search, the Jedi learns to attune themselves to the universe, to the Universal Force. They learn to guide it and let it guide them; eventually, perhaps, some of them experience the moment of enlightenment, and it transforms them. Most of them do not, no matter how much they learn to guide the Force, or how much the Force can guide them. This does not stop them from yet seeking that moment.

I've not read all the books in the EU, though I've obviously seen all the movies. In the movies, I've seen nothing that makes me believe any of the Jedi portrayed to have experienced enlightenment. What I've read of the books, I can only say four -- Zonoma Sekot, Vergare, Anakin Solo, and Jacen Solo.

Both Zonoma Sekot (or rather its representative) seemed to contain the settled core and peaceful awareness I've come to associate with enlightenment; Vergare, though she certainly seemed to have played politics with grace and viciousness, held the same inner core and awareness. Anakin Solo gained that core, that awareness, and a unifying and consuming channeling of the Force during his last battle with the Yuuzhang Vong; Jacen Solo (Anakin's long-time practice partner) achieved a similar core and awareness during his last battle as well, though his unifying channeling of the Force was fortunately not so all-consuming as Anakin's.

A Jedi seeks the ah-ness of that moment, the deep understanding of the universe, the instant of emptiness within which is the sum total and distinct individualism of all things. The knowledge and power of the Force is a secondary thing to that search, a form of practice and seeking that dims in comparison to enlightenment. A Sith, on the other hand, seeks but the knowledge and the power of the Force itself.

For a Jedi, the Force is the journey, not the goal.

For a Sith, the Force is the goal, not the journey.

But I bet you that Jedi write a lot of haiku...

A dark lightsaber

Cold and heavy in my hand

Why do I have it?