How do you become a Jedi

LordGhee

The Jedi way

Episode 1.2

Hello all.

I am starting the second of my Star Wars games again. In the course of the first game it came up what makes a Padawan a Jedi.

It seems that the council is the body that grants or confirms titles in the order. (note in my star wars universe the title of knight is a title of the Galactic Republic that is law enforcement with judge powers.

The Trials are mention as the way to become a Jedi.

In my game the trials are not a set of test that you can take as an exam but a set of circumstances that have been over came that show the maturity of a Jedi. Anikin displays his lack of knowledge and maturity when he asks to be tested.

The trial of Strength and the trial of Courage are the only two mentioned.

I am trying to expand the trials to 5.

The trial of Sprit and the trial of knowledge are two that I came up with.

So thoughts on what they mean and any ideals please.

Lord Ghee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How do you become a Jedi

The Jedi way

Episode 1.2

Hello all.

I am starting the second of my Star Wars games again. In the course of the first game it came up what makes a Padawan a Jedi.

It seems that the council is the body that grants or confirms titles in the order. (note in my star wars universe the title of knight is a title of the Galactic Republic that is law enforcement with judge powers.

The Trials are mention as the way to become a Jedi.

In my game the trials are not a set of test that you can take as an exam but a set of circumstances that have been over came that show the maturity of a Jedi. Anikin displays his lack of knowledge and maturity when he asks to be tested.

The trial of Strength and the trial of Courage are the only two mentioned.

I am trying to expand the trials to 5.

The trial of Sprit and the trial of knowledge are two that I came up with.

So thoughts on what they mean and any ideals please.

Lord Ghee

Hmmmmm......As some might say, knowledge and wisdom are two

seperate things. So perhaps a Trial of Wisdom ?

-Carl-

I actualy like the idea of the Sith not being evil per say, but rather a different philosiphy, one that admitingly permits evil behavior, and that might even lend itself to it somewhat, but that being evil is not a requirement of it (Does that make sense?)

As far as the Sith code, I've always really liked how they handled it in KotoR (and subsequently in the newest SWRPG book)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Sets the Sith as less Evil, and just as willing to attain greater connection to the Force through allowing ones emotions to help you by embracing them, instead of denying them (like the Jedi).

Anyways, the Trial of Spirit and Trial of Compassion aren't bad ones. Trial of the Heart? Or something similar.

Edit:

Alright, just looked up the Jedi Order on Wikipedia, and I completely forgot about these other Trials that were named in the EU (though I forget where originally): the Trial of Flesh, the Trial of Courage, the Trial of Skill and the Trial of Self (also known as "facing the mirror"). The Trial of Self was what Luke went through in Empire when he fought Vader/himself on Dagobah.

Anyways, hope that helps.

That should round out your Trials.

I actualy like the idea of the Sith not being evil per say' date=' but rather a different philosiphy, one that admitingly permits evil behavior, and that might even lend itself to it somewhat, but that being evil is not a requirement of it (Does that make sense?)[/quote']

Makes sense to me. Though Lucas will likely burn you at the stake. ;)

As far as the Sith code, I've always really liked how they handled it in KotoR (and subsequently in the newest SWRPG book)

The Force shall free me.

Hmmm....The Sith as followers of Nietzsche and Rand ? It would

make sense for Lucas to have conceived it that way, as there

was a historical backlash to such beliefs and behaviours in the

late 1960's and early 1970's. Look at how (gasp!!) Star Trek

handles such things: references to things being "anti-humanistic",

eugenics and its' evils, etc. Now compare the Sith/Jedi conflict

with that imagery....Both are definately products of their age.

Just my semi-random $.02US.

-Carl-

Hmmm....The Sith as followers of Nietzsche and Rand ? It would

make sense for Lucas to have conceived it that way, as there

was a historical backlash to such beliefs and behaviours in the

late 1960's and early 1970's. Look at how (gasp!!) Star Trek

handles such things: references to things being "anti-humanistic",

eugenics and its' evils, etc. Now compare the Sith/Jedi conflict

with that imagery....Both are definately products of their age.

Just my semi-random $.02US.

Yeah, it would've made a lot of sense for Lucas to set it up that way. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case. Since almost all of his creations have been made wonderful only through the filter of a studio or other person's vision, I sincerely doubt that that was his original intention. Also, note that the first place this was written (that I know of, at least) was in the KotOR game, and then subsequently made canon (again, this is according to what I've read, so I could be wrong). Still, I'm a huge fan of the way they constructed it.

And, while slightly off-topic, while looking up the Trials I stumbled upon an article that claimed that Anakin, being the Chosen One, fulfilled the prophecy by destroying the Sith in RotJ, bringing balance to the Force. I was always convinced that the "Balance" that was actually referred to in the prequels was actually a balance between "good" (Jedi) and "evil" (Sith/dark siders), which previous to Anakin was obviously imbalanced (thousands of Light Siders scouring the Galaxy, 2 Sith), and so taking the Jedi down to a mere handful (maybe down to only 2 once Obi Wan died, possibly only leaving Yoda and Luke, then only Luke to find his own apprentice). I guess what I'm saying is that if "balance to the Force" is actually killing all Sith, that seems pretty lame to me. You can't have light without dark.

And I've rambled. Sorry for the rants folks, we now return you to your previously aired thread.

Well, there are a number of things. Among them of course are the basic trials; if you're a fan of Star Wars, I'm stunned you haven't yet played Knights of the Old Republic, wherein you do become a Jedi. One of the core requirements is to build your own functional light saber. A more elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.

So I would assume that among the other skills required (and Jedi are extremely skill heavy; even the lowest ranked know Beauracratics, Diplomacy, Negotiation, KS: Galactic Law, PS: Jedi Knight, KS: Code of the Jedi and so on. The package done right would cost a damn fortune).

But if you're looking for pure trials, then the construction of the Lightsaber is a "Trial of Control." Because you have to use your Force Powers to properly align the crystals; that's why lightsabers are so rare. Each Jedi generally builds his own, as it reflects the user in design, length, and so on. However, no machine will ever be precise enough to both align & activate the crystals, you need a Jedi for that.

Although having captured Jedi create lightsabers for distribution among the populace (either being forced or being really nasty Sith who want to turn a profit) and then creating a group of "fake Jedi" who are causing all kinds of chaos would make for a good plot arc.

On the topic of the Sith, more than just a philosophical divide, the idea of the Sith is one built on a pursuit of power. But it's more an "inner power" or "power at any cost" than anything else, and that's the critical piece most people miss. As Karmakaze says, "[it's] not evil, [it's being] differently motivated."

What I found interesting in the "each Jedi builds his/her own lightsabre" statement is that it is properly shown in the original trilogy, but in Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith, it seems that there are lightsabres galore. (Not to mention that everyone in the Jedi Temple, from 7 year old Younglings, to 20 year old Padawans all have a lightsabre).

It makes some sense, since Jedi are in a dangerous business and sabres get lost, broken, etc... It doesn't do to have Jedi out of action for a month because of a lost lightsabre.

However it means that either a given Jedi builds a couple of backup sabres, or that someone somewhere is stockpiling old Jedi lightsabres in enough numbers that in the case of prolonged battle, they can keep the troops stocked.

Which is all beside the main point of the post. Building a Lightsabre should be one of the trials for inclusion into the Jedi order.

In my campaign the characters were given the sabers they used as apprentices. Then when they had proven themselves sufficiently, in this case battle field experience replaced formal trials, Luke took their lightsabers and left then on a lonely planet to quest for the crystals needed to make their own.

The best part of this adventure was how clever the players got when they didn't have a lightsaber to rely on.

In a similar vein, how about a trial of survival where the padwan is left on a hostile planet with only his robes?

Find an old dude next to a creaky bridge..."If You would a Jedi be...first you must answer my questions three....."

"What is your name?"

"What is your favorite color?"

"What is Leia's cup size?"

"Why do you want to know that, you old lech?"

"Oh, I don't know, I ... "

Yaaahhhhhhh...thud

:eg::rofl:

The Force shall free me.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,

the lips acquire stains,

the stains become a warning.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

~ Piter De Vries, "Dune."

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed,

the lips acquire stains,

the stains become a warning.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

~ Piter De Vries, "Dune."

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

It is by the juice of the java bean that thoughts acquire speed,

the hands acquire shaking,

the shaking becomes a warning.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

~ Simon, "Hero boards"

actually a balance between "good" (Jedi) and "evil" (Sith/dark siders), which previous to Anakin was obviously imbalanced (thousands of Light Siders scouring the Galaxy, 2 Sith), and so

I think the number of Force users on either side is irrelevant. The Dark Side exists even if nobody specifically uses it for hoodoo. The Sith wouldn't have deliberately limited themselves to a handful of members if that really put them at a disadvantage, and wouldn't have swept the the Jedi away either. The "imbalance in the Force" that Anakin was supposed to correct, I suspect was an actual imbalance in the Force itself, not in the people using it, a weighting toward the Dark side that actually let Palpatine sneak up on thousands of precognitives and take them by surprise, because his side was stronger and could blind their side.

I think the number of Force users on either side is irrelevant. The Dark Side exists even if nobody specifically uses it for hoodoo. The Sith wouldn't have deliberately limited themselves to a handful of members if that really put them at a disadvantage' date=' and wouldn't have swept the the Jedi away either. The "imbalance in the Force" that Anakin was supposed to correct, I suspect was an actual imbalance in the Force itself, not in the people using it, a weighting toward the Dark side that actually let Palpatine sneak up on thousands of precognitives and [b']take them by surprise[/b], because his side was stronger and could blind their side.

I concur. Remember that at the end of The Phantom Menace, Palpatine was standing in the middle of the enitre Jedi council, and they couldn't sense his strength with the Dark Side. That's how powerful he was.

The Sith were all about power, and their thirst for it allowed them to accumulate it to a monstrous degree. Destroying the Sith dispersed the power and restored the balance.

Of course, without knowing the actual text of the prophecy, we may never know what was meant by restoring "balance to the Force." Perhaps if Yoda and the others had studied the prophecy more carefully, they could have prevented the annihilation of the Jedi and the fall of the Republic.