Bodyarmor?

1)How do you build a guy based on gadgets inside a Bodyarmor or artificial armor (DrDoom, Beetle, Ironman, Crimson Dynamo)

2)can a armor boost stats?

3) what Powerframework would i use?

PS don't be to easy on me and send me with the line "see the forthcoming genrebook etc etc or something similar)

1) The most common answer is to apply Only In Hero ID to all such powers and stats. Less commonly, people use Multiform, OIF, or build the armor as a vehicle.

2) Yes, stats are frequently boosted by power armor. Unhelpfully, I'll add that Defender in Champions is a fairly good example of this in a relatively useful book.

3) If the armor has a variety of weapons, you might group them in a multipower. Otherwise, you generally won't use a framework for this type of character.

Iron Man for Champions

Vic,

Take a look at this:

Iron Man for The HERO System

Now, I am not an Iron Man fan. In fact, I've never read a single Iron Man comic book. I have seen Iron Man on the Hulk cartoon and I'm familiar with the archetype. So, I have no idea if this is an accurate rendering of Iron Man but I can at least tell you that these write-ups are pretty good ways of using The HERO System to design power-armor characters.

John H

Well, an example of a suit of power armour might include:

40 Armour weapons systems: Multipower, 50 point powers, OIHID (-1/4)

4u Energy blast: 10D6 EB

4u Pulse Blast: 8D6 EB, Autofire (2 shots +1/4)

2u Repulsor Ray: TK (30 STR), push only (-1/2), affects whole object (-1/2)

and then outside the multipower,

36 Heavy armour: Armour (15 rPD, 15 rED), OIHID

36 Sealed systems: Life Support: total, OIHID

17 Servo Strength: +30 STR, OIHID, No figured characteristics (-1/2)

15 Servo Speed: +9 DEX, OIHID, no figured characteristics

11 Servo Speed II: +2 SPD, OIHID, no figured characteristics

etc.

Re: Iron Man for Champions

Originally posted by JMHammer

Vic,

Take a look at this:

Iron Man for The HERO System

Now, I am not an Iron Man fan. In fact, I've never read a single Iron Man comic book. I have seen Iron Man on the Hulk cartoon and I'm familiar with the archetype. So, I have no idea if this is an accurate rendering of Iron Man but I can at least tell you that these write-ups are pretty good ways of using The HERO System to design power-armor characters.

John H

I am a HUGE Iron Man fan and I would say this is a freaky good translation of the Iron Man of this era into Hero System. When you are reading these, just bear in mind he has converted the really old school iron man from the sixties & seventies. The alchaholic, frizbee hipped "classic" iron man comes a few years later.

Well, to discuss the only other worthwhile power armor example:

Dr. Doom - you would probably want to treat the armor as pure SFX, and not use any of the standard lims. The armor is so rarely taken away or broken as to make the focus inappropriate, and the good doctor would never have been caught out of it so no OIVID.

Seriously, I would look at how I wanted the armor to behave in picking out how to model it.

Focus – I would only use focus if I wanted the armor to be taken away or broken. Those are why you get a point break. The base suit should be Inaccessible, but some of the tools could be Accessable. I would use a focus probably a good use for Vindicator under the John Byrne, and a lot of other characters where we see the armor getting broken, like when Ben Grim was using the Thing armor.

Only in Hero ID – This means that the armor won’t be broken in combat, and won’t be taken away once the armor is put on, but it does mean that you will be caught outside the armor. This would be more of a Saturday morning/weekday afternoon cartoon feel for me. There was an Iron Man cartoon recently that seemed to work that way.

Restrainable – Could be a possible compromise between OIHID and Focus. This would probably only be for some of the powers, but not all of them. It could represent a way of being able to turn off things like the servo motors that grant enhanced STR without actually having to take off the armor.

Vehicle – Only thing is you would want to build some sort of power that would make the character’s DEX and SPD equal to the armor’s while wearing the armor. This would be more of a anime feel for me. I could see building Knight Sabre armor from the first series as a Vehicle. Also some of the bigger bulkier armor types, usually used by villains. The doubling the number of vehicles for +5 points would also make it good for character with a specialized armor for different things.

Multiform – I hadn’t really thought much about this option. I see it as having some the same benefits of the vehicle in terms of versatility. I might use it for Box, when there was a techno-morph using the armor.

Pure special effect – This represents a character who’s power armor is shown as not being any more limited than powers inherent to other characters. This tends to be a little more appropriate for high power games and villains. Dr. Doom is a good example of what I’m thinking here.

Power Frameworks – honestly, any of them can be used, for example the Vindicator armor from Alpha Flight might qualify for a “magnetic field manipulation†Elemental Control, depending on the GM. Dr. Doom’s armor would definitely have a built in Variable Power Pool. Multi-Powers have already been discussed.

You have the bodyarmor of the Space Marines in Warhammer but that doesn't incorporate any weapons only handweapons

You have mecha but they are vehicules not bodyarmor.

What i see how bodyarmor works is: a guy can step in and depend on it. He must use the powers of the armor in order to be inside. I never saw Ironman fire a repulsor blast out it armor (when it was tested but that was in big (Tales of suspense) model chambersize).

DrDoom (aquantance of me :)) is different: he lives the whole day in his armor. He used it to protect his face but later he invented gadjets to expand his armor. And his gadgets (found in the "Land of Doom" boxed set) can be castlesize, chambersize, bodyarmorsize (transistor operated as in IM), ...

He doesn't need his armor to operate them. But his armor serves him.

I call bodyarmor category: Hitech category. without or with bodyarmor (like cable) those people use technology to fight their foes.It can be robots (followers), small devices tucked in a belt, cybernetics...

keep those ideas coming ...

Actually Tony made a little kit for Ben Grimm when he had lost his powers for a while while they were going up against...

erm....

you know this one right?

The kit had all the powers, but none of the Armor so they were OAF :Repulsor blasts (more like guns than anything else.......)

big surprise to see ol'Ben packing a suitcase to La......

erm La La land...

Are you the Victor Von Doom of the palladium boards?

If you would like to get tones of write ups for how to build character types then you could also look at the Book Conquerors Killers & Crooks.

It has Doom like characters "Doctor Destroyer" and literally a dozen other power suit type characters. I would post a few but I think that could put me in violation of some copyright law.

However I think I am allowed to post part of a character so I will post a power example.

This is a Mech Based Characters Powers that I made as a anti hero using Mechassassin from CKC as a base he is one of those heroes who brakes the rules so the players don’t want to kill him only apprehend him.

Aeries

Player:

Val Char Cost
25 STR 5
23 DEX 24
25 CON 10
10 BODY 0
20 INT 10
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
20 PD 2
20 ED 2
5 SPD 12
6 REC 0
30 END 0
30 STUN 4
6" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost Power END
Armored Exoskeloton, all slots: OIF (-1/2)
5 1) Enhanced Strength: +10 STR (10 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 1
7 2) Enhanced Dexterity: +5 DEX (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
10 3) Enhanced Constitution: +10 CON (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
7 4) Enhanced Speed: +1 SPD (10 Active Points)
56 Electric Pistol: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots: 64 Charges (+1/2) (112 Active Points); OAF (-1)
4u 1) Standard Setting: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (75 Active Points)
2u 2) Boosted Gain Setting: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Requires 3 Charges Per Use (-3/4)
50 Armor Weapon Systems: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots: (75 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
4u 1) Right Gauntlet Tanglecoil Launcer: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
2u 2) Concussor Grenade: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Explosion (+1/2) (75 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1)
2u 3) Trang Gas Grenade: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. PD), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1), No Normal Defense (Self-Contained Breathing) Standard (+1) (75 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1)
3u 4) Enhanced Smoke Grenade: Darkness to Sight , Radio and Mental Groups 5" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4)
3u 5) Vibro Blades: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD) (45 Active Points) 4
30 Armor: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
7 Air Supply & Rebreather: Life Support , Self-Contained Breathing (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
5 Jet Boots: Leaping +7" (12" forward, 6" upward) (7 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 1
6 Built in communicator: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight And Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
3 NightVision: Ultraviolet Perception (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 206

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Commando Training
4 1) Boxing Cross: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
4 2) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +25 STR vs. Grabs
4 3) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Three Limbs, +10 STR for holding on
4 4) Judo Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; +20 STR to Disarm roll
8 5) +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 24

Cost Skill
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Bribery 13-
3 Bugging 13-
3 Combat Piloting 14-
3 Interrogation 13-
2 AK: Europe 11-
3 KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 12-
3 KS: The Superhuman World 12-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Tactics 13-
3 Teamwork 14-
Skills Cost: 47

Cost Perk
5 Money: Well Off
Perks Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 369

use above example

1)how do i absorb power from attacks?

2)How can i transfer that absorbed power in a lasergun, canon, ... or a forcefield or both? please ellaborate with an example

3)Can he transfer such power in any stats? how? please ellaborate with an example

4)can he store that energy in a powersource for later use (in his base or in a container so the absorbed power would not fade away )

5)Suppose he has his powerarmor wearing 10 rings (1 each finger, each different power, each power 1 use each day, ...)

If that guy is too powerfull with armor and rings please change what need to be changed...

Originally posted by caris

Seriously, I would look at how I wanted the armor to behave in picking out how to model it.

Focus – I would only use focus if I wanted the armor to be taken away or broken. Those are why you get a point break. The base suit should be Inaccessible, but some of the tools could be Accessable. I would use a focus probably a good use for Vindicator under the John Byrne, and a lot of other characters where we see the armor getting broken, like when Ben Grim was using the Thing armor.

Only in Hero ID – This means that the armor won’t be broken in combat, and won’t be taken away once the armor is put on, but it does mean that you will be caught outside the armor. This would be more of a Saturday morning/weekday afternoon cartoon feel for me. There was an Iron Man cartoon recently that seemed to work that way.

Restrainable – Could be a possible compromise between OIHID and Focus. This would probably only be for some of the powers, but not all of them. It could represent a way of being able to turn off things like the servo motors that grant enhanced STR without actually having to take off the armor.

Vehicle – Only thing is you would want to build some sort of power that would make the character’s DEX and SPD equal to the armor’s while wearing the armor. This would be more of a anime feel for me. I could see building Knight Sabre armor from the first series as a Vehicle. Also some of the bigger bulkier armor types, usually used by villains. The doubling the number of vehicles for +5 points would also make it good for character with a specialized armor for different things.

Multiform – I hadn’t really thought much about this option. I see it as having some the same benefits of the vehicle in terms of versatility. I might use it for Box, when there was a techno-morph using the armor.

Pure special effect – This represents a character who’s power armor is shown as not being any more limited than powers inherent to other characters. This tends to be a little more appropriate for high power games and villains. Dr. Doom is a good example of what I’m thinking here.

Power Frameworks – honestly, any of them can be used, for example the Vindicator armor from Alpha Flight might qualify for a “magnetic field manipulation†Elemental Control, depending on the GM. Dr. Doom’s armor would definitely have a built in Variable Power Pool. Multi-Powers have already been discussed.

Nice breakdown. I've sometimes toyed with doing some powered armor as an automaton that the operator happens to occupy. Weapons might be bought as usable by one other instead (+1/4), with an "operator only" limitation on that advantage, so that it's using the operator's OCV and firing on his/her phases.

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

use above example

1)how do i absorb power from attacks?

2)How can i transfer that absorbed power in a lasergun, canon, ... or a forcefield or both? please ellaborate with an example

3)Can he transfer such power in any stats? how? please ellaborate with an example

4)can he store that energy in a powersource for later use (in his base or in a container so the absorbed power would not fade away )

5)Suppose he has his powerarmor wearing 10 rings (1 each finger, each different power, each power 1 use each day, ...)

If that guy is too powerfull with armor and rings please change what need to be changed...

1 - 3 you would use an Adjustment Power (Hero 5th pages 72-76) called Absorption (Hero 5th page 88). You buy dice that you roll when hit by an appropriate attack. The total you roll is the most amount of body from the attack you absorb. That body you absorbed is converted to active points that are applied to powers or characteristics that you decide when you build the power. Absorption does not provide any protection, you would need to buy a defense to go with the power to prevent any damage. When you build the power you may define that the points will be split among more than one power and/or characteristics at a ratio that you set at that time. There are advantages that can change how you may apply the points.

Basic example: You have bought 3D6 of Absorption vs. Energy Attacks. My villain attacks you with a 6D6, and hits you. You roll your three dice and get a 3, a 5, and a 2 for a total of 10. I roll my six dice. The damage get’s applied to your defenses as normal. You look at the body of the attack. Theoretically the Body damage could be anywhere between 0 and 12, but the most you will get from this attack is the 10 you rolled. If the attack did less than 10 Body, you will only absorb the Body done.

Increase example 1: You have bought Absorption that feeds to you 8D6 Energy Blast (40 active points), which has no advantages. You are attacked and absorb 5 pts from the attack. Your Energy Blast goes up to 9D6, because you now have 45 active points for the power.

Increase example 2: You have the same Absorption, except this time it feeds to your 18 Dex (24 points spent on it). This time you absorb 4 pts from the attack. Your Dex will go to 19. Even though you now effectively have 28 points in Dex, that extra point does nothing unless you absorb two more points.

Increase example 3: You have an Absorption that you have defining half the points going to your 10/10 Force Field (20 active pts) and half going to your 60 Str (50 points). This time you absorb 16 points from an attack. Your Force Field goes to 14/14, because it’s active points increased by half of 16, and your Str goes to 68 for the other half.

4. There are a variety of ways to do what you are describing. I would need more details on what exactly you are trying to do, before I could come up with specific examples.

5. The basic description is not inherently too powerful. It sounds like you are describing a character with high defenses, and 10 different attack powers that are all one charge each. The real issues in determining if the character is too powerful are how much protection does the armor give, how much damage do the rings do, and what kind of damage it is. Your GM would be the best judge of what is too powerful. If you are the GM, try running some combats with the character and your players’ characters to see how things play out by yourself without the players.

What i ment with examples : put them in a character...

also cut down the theories and more examples

Now the more tricky part :

How can a hero store absorbed attacks (energy) in a container and store in his base. The hero needs a storage device where he can keep some of the energy in it. He can reuse it later to recharge his rings ...