Weapons Question 2: Silver Bullets

McCoy

A player character is the great-great-grandniece of John Reid, the Lone Ranger. She wants to carry, as a backup weapon, Granduncle John's antique .44 revolver, loaded with six silver bullets.

One player insist that silver bullets should cost more than lead in character points (character does have money perk, she's the freaking Kemo Sabi Silver Mine heiress, and her grandfather still owns a chain of newspapers). As I am giveing no game advantage to the silver, it is a Marvel-ish superhero campagine (Werewolves and Vampires not impossible, but no indication they will be a regular feature of the campagine), and I am inclined to simply call it a special effect.

Any imput? All appriciated, thanks.

Bullets aren't made of lead anymore, are they?

To answer your question. No, silver is just a special effect. Should fire or electrical EB's pay more just because someone theoretically might be vulnerable to them?

Anyway people might just as easily be vulnerable to steel or whatever bullets are made of these days..

Originally posted by dbsousa

If you're looking for a disadvantage to silver bullets, consider the fact that she is believed to be the only person using them. When several gang members show up in the morgue with silver bullets in their heads, where do you think the cops turn?

Cruel and devious, I like it!

Thanks everyone, I'm sticking with my original ruleing, it's a SX. In a Buffy inspired campagine I might have put on a surcharge, but not in this one.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Definately just a SFX... except that Silver deforms more easily than lead and has been used in hollowpoint bullets for years. I recommend a +1 STUN modifier... but that's just me.:D

I'm going to say that's offset by the lighter weight of the slug. and Alibear, while I'm not an expert as I understand it most bullets for civilian use are still a lead alloy, fully or partially jacketed with a copper alloy.

Now gold bullets! Heaver AND softer than lead! This is the one that would get an improved STUN multiplier (but incompatable with AP or penetraiting).

dbsousa, re gang members shot with silver bullets, especally as I believe that.44 is not a currently popular caliber. Would silver be hard enough for balistics matching? I really like this! Especally as I have already introduced a local gang, Los Lobos. Practally writes itself.

Originally posted by Blue

As long as everyone has equal access to such a thing, it's a special effect. Seems reasonable to me to say "as long as your are of *this* level of wealth, you can have a steady stream of silver bullets".

It's not even her primary power. She has a suit of powered armor with a sonics SX. She just wanted the revolver as a reminder that she is the sixth member of the family, in five generations, that has sworn to Serve and Protect (some more formally than others). It was there when Great-great-granddad Dan was sworn in as a Texas Ranger (she has his badge as well). She also wanted an EMP proof backup weapon, which I thought showed foresight. And no, there is nothing to prevent any of her teammates from purchasing a weapon with the same game mechanics (though not the same history). All players can have silver backup weapons if they care to budget for them.

Re: Weapons Question 2: Silver Bullets

Originally posted by McCoy

A player character is the great-great-grandniece of John Reid, the Lone Ranger. She wants to carry, as a backup weapon, Granduncle John's antique .44 revolver, loaded with six silver bullets.

One player insist that silver bullets should cost more than lead in character points (character does have money perk, she's the freaking Kemo Sabi Silver Mine heiress, and her grandfather still owns a chain of newspapers). As I am giveing no game advantage to the silver, it is a Marvel-ish superhero campagine (Werewolves and Vampires not impossible, but no indication they will be a regular feature of the campagine), and I am inclined to simply call it a special effect.

Any imput? All appriciated, thanks.

Nothing new - I'm right up there on the "just the special effect" bandwagon, and you shouldn't have to pay specifically in order to have an attack that the other guy gets points for being vulnerable to. I'm just curious about the basis for the player insisting this should cost more? Is it "higher monetary cost should mean higher point cost" (!), is it "some folks out there are specially vulnerable to this" (! again), or something plausible that's not occurring to me as an alternative?

Re: Re: Weapons Question 2: Silver Bullets

Originally posted by Jeff

Nothing new - I'm right up there on the "just the special effect" bandwagon, and you shouldn't have to pay specifically in order to have an attack that the other guy gets points for being vulnerable to. I'm just curious about the basis for the player insisting this should cost more? Is it "higher monetary cost should mean higher point cost" (!), is it "some folks out there are specially vulnerable to this" (! again), or something plausible that's not occurring to me as an alternative?

Partly "some folks out there are specially vulnerable to this" and (IMO) partly "wish I'd thought of it first." Again, were I running a supernatural /horror campagine where vampires and/or werewolves would be a regular feature, I cound understand more where he's coming from.