Enhanced Perception Question

Tech

In 5th ed, it states under Enhanced Senses - Enhanced Perception that you can buy+1 to PER Roll for all Sense Groups for 3 character pts.

Now, does that mean a +1 to all PER rolls simultaneously or that this +1 can by used by any PER Roll but only one at a time?

Re: Enhanced Perception Question

Thats the way I do it...you just increase your Per roll by the levels bought...you just plain "perceive more better"

With your own terminology, you just shot your point in the foot. :(

Levels according to 5th edition can only be used one at a time and do not apply to everything at the same time. Example: If you have 1 Overall Level which can be used for combat, skills, perception rolls or anything else your heart wishes, it can be used for either Combat or a skill roll or a perception roll, but not all 3 at the same time.

Levels according to 5th edition can only be used one at a time and do not apply to everything at the same time. Example: If you have 1 Overall Level which can be used for combat, skills, perception rolls or anything else your heart wishes, it can be used for either Combat or a skill roll or a perception roll, but not all 3 at the same time.

But Enhanced perception is a power, not a level, and could very well have different rules to apply to it. Or build it as a talent "Enchanced Perception: +5 int (-1 only for per rolls)) 3 pts.

With your own terminology, you just shot your point in the foot. :(

Enhanced Perception is not Skill Levels, so SL Rules don't apply.

It's pretty clear right on page 163 of 5er:

Enhanced Perception

The character has better perception than

normal.

Cost:

+1 to PER Roll for
all
Sense Groups for 3

Character Points
; +1 to PER Roll for one

Sense Group for 2 Character Points; +1 to

PER Roll with

GM "Ok, everyone make a PER roll."

Player (whose character has +X Enhanced Perception for all Sense Groups) "Ok, what sense should I apply my character's Enhanced Perception against now?"

Answer, he doesn't. It automatically applies vs. ALL of them.

Enhanced Perception can be thought of as INT bought with a Limitation to only be used vs. PER rolls. It just doesn't apply vs. INT based skills and other non-PER based INT rolls.

It's pretty clear right on page 163 of 5er:

GM "Ok, everyone make a PER roll."

Player (whose character has +X Enhanced Perception for all Sense Groups) "Ok, what sense should I apply my character's Enhanced Perception against now?"

Answer, he doesn't. It automatically applies vs. ALL of them.

Enhanced Perception can be thought of as INT bought with a Limitation to only be used vs. PER rolls. It just doesn't apply vs. INT based skills and other non-PER based INT rolls.

I'm not sure we use language that preciscely in hero - look up 8 point skill levels (p70 5ER) and you will see the definition as +1 with all non-combat skills. We know that doesn't mean simultaneously.

It is an interesting question. I can't actually recall if I've ever asked anyone to make a sight and a seperate hearing PER roll in the same phase...

The entry is written very much like a skill level entry, and I'm a great one for sticking to principles if we can find them.

OTOH if you look at IMAGES the same problem applies - if you have a character with +2 sight perception and +1 overall perception, against an image with (say) -4 on PER rolls, and the image consists of both a visual and a sound lelement, as I think about it it si not clear how many PER rolls you make, and what value you use for them.

I've always assumed it is one, but then I've never really thought about it.

Good question. Repped.