Villain power creation - I'm stuck

Tech

The villain power it to change any animal nearby into a powerful monstrous version of it under his control, most likely within touch but possibly within 10-20 feet. Now, I thought about Transform but it doesn't seem quite like it's enough. I thought of Summon but that leaves a problem with the original animal - if something is summoned, the original is still there and doesn't disappear just because something was summoned.

Now, it's probably obvious to some of you how to build this but it's escaping me at the moment. This will most likely be the villain's shtick with no other power and most likely stats of a low-powered villain otherwise.

So... how would you build this? :)

Re: Villain power creation - I'm stuck

Heck' date=' if it's a villain just make it a Summon with IIF: Sacrificial Animal of Opportunity :eg:[/quote']

I would go with this if you only intend the power to be used on normal animals which would otherwise not be involved in the scenario. It becomes more problematic if you're thinking of using it as an attack against animal sidekicks of the heroes, or animal-human hybrids. In that case the EDM attack option would be the simplest pairing with the Summon. But to be honest Transform, with its capacity to add Character Points to its subject, really is the cleanest way to do this against any animal target. Just make sure you include both Physical and Mental Transform so that the resulting animal is obedient to your villain.

Lord Liaden and ghost-angel, I take off my hat to you both. Both suggestions are ideas I'm pondering. Currently, I'm doing an examination of how many dice it will take to Transform an animal due to adding points to a creature. Off the top of my head, it will be easier (and likely cheaper) to go the Summon/EDM route but I'll look at both methods. I'm quite quick with on the spot powers & stats (he transforms a dog into a dog-monster) so I'm not concerned about that. Also, since this is a one-power pony, I can throw way more points into this power than I would ordinarily with my other villains. Of course, I rarely tell players how many points an actual villain costs so who cares how much he costs as long as the concept works, right?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I'd just use Summon with some oddball limits. Something along the lines of a Limited Power based on the "Can only summon locally avaiable..."

I mean hell, who CARES if the summon happens to destroy a nearby poodle so long as it isn't some hero's follower or DNPC?

I mean hell' date=' who CARES if the summon happens to destroy a nearby poodle so long as it isn't some hero's follower or DNPC?[/quote']

I don't know about that, Mr. Anderson might be more than a little perturbed.*

:D

*For those who haven't already caught it, that was a reference to a character on Beavis and Butthead.

IMO Log came close, but just missed. I go with "IIF: Nearby Animal Of Opportunity." You don't have to sacrifice the animal, after all.

Call the change in looks Special Effects of the new "neat" powers. :winkgrin:

Sorta like the XDM version, but with the realization that there's a lot you can cover with "it's just Special Effects". And it's simpler and cheaper. :winkgrin::thumbup:

SPOILERS FOR MY FRIENDS - YOU NO READ THIS. :P

Okay, it took me well over an hour just to work on the power but I came to it's finished form. I had to create the creatures first to see how powerful they were going to be (or rather how much more powerful than the original). I decided to go with Transformation:

Animal Monster Creation

Tranformation 35d6 to various monster animals (+1/4), all-or-nothing (-1/2),

limited target - animals only (-1/4), must be within 20 feet of villain (-1/4),

16 Charges.

Active Cost: 656 pts Real Cost: 328 pts

I went with an average roll vs the animals to get the number of dice needed. The bad guy won't use it on anything larger than a trained guard dog so I didn't bother thinking of elephants or horses. And of course, since this is a villain of mine, I don't care how much the actual power costs (too much) since no one knows but me.

I still say you should have gone for something like this:

Summon Monstrous Animal 16 300-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Any Monster Based on animal of Dog Size or Smaller (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (180 Active Points); Requires a Dog Size or Smaller Animal to Change (-1/2), Limited Power Can only "summon" one animal at a time (-1/2)

It's still way more butch than I'd allow a player to have. 180 Active points and 90 real points.

If you care that much about what happens to the animal link an RKA against small animals to it.

I still say you should have gone for something like this:

Summon Monstrous Animal 16 300-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Any Monster Based on animal of Dog Size or Smaller (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (180 Active Points); Requires a Dog Size or Smaller Animal to Change (-1/2), Limited Power Can only "summon" one animal at a time (-1/2)

It's still way more butch than I'd allow a player to have. 180 Active points and 90 real points.

If you care that much about what happens to the animal link an RKA against small animals to it.

We'll, I'll say it certainly looks easier. I'll look into it but 300 points isn't enough - each of the creatures I designed comes out around 400 pts. As for points, a player isn't getting this power - me the GM will be getting it since it's my villain. :D