FRPG Ideas from Hero that ain't necessarily so

Curufea

Re: FRPG Ideas from Hero that ain't necessarily so

You can't Haymaker a door to blast it down! (unless it is somehow threatening you or you are at a disadvantage for using Haymaker)

I tend to laugh that one off. Either you can hit full force by spending extra time and leaving yourself open or you can't. Saying "the drawbacks must be relevant" makes Haymaker a SuperDetect.

Player1: "Do you think the Invisible Ambusher is still around?"

Player2: "Good question - none of us can sense him."

Player3: "I'll attempt to Haymaker the wall."

GM: "OK, your haymaker is effective.

Players 1,2,3: "He must be here - there's no drawback to Haymaker unless someone is here to take advantage of it!"

You can't Push to blast said door down. (Unless the world will be destroyed if that door does NOT come down!)

I can live with this one. Pushing needs real adrenaline/reason to push, not just "gee, I'd sure like to hit harder".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ridding, it's better off having the same speed than your horse. If the horse has more, it get to wait until you're ready before charging an enemy. If you have more, you're stuck on your horse waiting for him to move another time.

You can't Haymaker a door to blast it down! (unless it is somehow threatening you or you are at a disadvantage for using Haymaker)

Sure you can. Whatever is on the other side of that door can take advantage of your reduced DCV.

And if there is no combat threat, who cares? It wouldn't make any difference anyway. If it's important to the plot for the door to come down, then go ahead. If it's not important to the plot, then let the haymaking fool embarrass himself with the extra property damage.

You can't Push to blast said door down. (Unless the world will be destroyed if that door does NOT come down!)

I understand why these rules exist... but sometimes it seems kind of trite.

I can agree with the Push one...not sure about the Haymaker.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to Push it's Luck for the extra two dice

I can agree with the Push one...not sure about the Haymaker.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to Push it's Luck for the extra two dice

First make your luck cost end, then make the fate of the world relay on you being licky, then we'll talk :)

The Haymaker was something I picked up in the Hero System 5th Edition Rules Questions.

I'll copy and paste to make it easier!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you Haymaker a Presence Attack?

Lucius Alexander

Inquiring palindromedaries want to know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules for Haymaker state that it applies to “any attack,” and while a Presence Attack isn’t a typical sort of attack, it’s still an attack, so unless the GM rules otherwise a Presence Attack can be Haymakered, adding +4d6 to it. However, there are several things to keep in mind. First, Haymakering a Presence Attack converts it from an Action that takes no time to one that takes the usual time for a Haymaker. Second, Haymakering a Presence Attack will affects a character’s CV, as usual for a Haymaker. Third, as always, performing a Haymaker has to actually subject a character to some potential drawback — if he’s in a situation where having a lowered DCV and taking extra time to make a Presence Attack aren’t any inconvenience, he absolutely can’t Haymaker his Presence Attack (or anything else, for that matter).

That last sentance was what prompted my post on this duscussion.

I was being a bit facetious is all.