How do i introduce new players?

Dr Divago

Some friends of mine "almost agreed" to play Fantasy Hero (1)

But, the problem is: they are completely new to Fantasy Hero... completely new to Hero System at all

and they got a standard game concept, where u found a lot of classes and u need to check the book to see "what can i do?"

(Hero is a different concept, where u first create a toon in your mind, then check through the book to see how can you build your favorite charachter...)

so, how can i introduce this game to the player, avoiding hours spent on "omg wtf is it? what can i do? this game is too long and too difficult!!!11!!"?

i thought pointing them to "package deal" is a cool idea; pre-building some package, items, talents and/or spells is even better...

what else?

i'm open to advices :D

Re: How do i introduce new plyaer?

My response would be to tell players that they don't have to understand the system. Because you do.

Then just ask them what kind of character do they want to play. If they don't have a particular concept then ask them what D&D or whatever class they want to play and base the character on that. Then you write the character for them or with them until they like what they see.

I think one of the real lures of Hero is allowing people to tweak their characters however they like and use any kind of ability that they can think of. That's the carrot. Just say, "Imagine if you could play anyone or anything. I can make it happen. Joiiin uuuuusss, Joooiiiiiin uuuuuusssss."

(You might want to skip that last bit).

My response would be to tell players that they don't have to understand the system. Because you do.

Then just ask them what kind of character do they want to play. If they don't have a particular concept then ask them what D&D or whatever class they want to play and base the character on that. Then you write the character for them or with them until they like what they see.

I think one of the real lures of Hero is allowing people to tweak their characters however they like and use any kind of ability that they can think of. That's the carrot. Just say, "Imagine if you could play anyone or anything. I can make it happen. Joiiin uuuuusss, Joooiiiiiin uuuuuusssss."

(You might want to skip that last bit).

That's how I've grabbed my players...but it was the "Joiiin uuuuusss, Joooiiiiiin uuuuuusssss." that really made them convert...:sneaky:

New players

I would ask them what kind of charater they wanted to play (and have a few made Up) and give them starter charaters then run a simple game (the bandits on the road ect) and give them lots of exp to flesh out their charaters ten points or so and anther short adventure ect (start them with 100 pt charaters)

Lord Ghee

We're touching the very essence of D20 system right here.

D20 (and its ancestors) built a yoke to gameplay not only in its own system, but in the very mind of a damn lot of players. That's why I think it's inherently Evil.:thumbdown

Even though the first rule in all D&D was to let rules asside when they got in your way, it seems that it was only a decoil to hide its masterplan, as lots of hardened D&D players never took it into acount.

Free roleplayers of the world, unite! Revolt!:sick:

But to add something useful to the thread, I'd do this in addition to the previous (and excellent:doi:) suggestions: you could make comparisions with any other RPG your players might have played wich weren't based upon character classes, like old D6 Star Wars, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, etc.

If they never played any game without character class concept, well, this post is nul and void, and you de facto receive the epic mission to save their minds (and even maybe their souls) from the clutches of D20 system!

Congratulations and good luck...:cool:

That's "revolt" not "regurgitate." Easy, doc. Anyway, the easiest way to introduce new players to HERO or Fantasy HERO is to walk them in to the room, and say "Guys, this is Jim. Jim, these are The Guys" and voila! You've introduced your new player.

If you mean, "How do I get people to play HERO?" that's also very easy. You sit 'em down, preferably with HERO Designer and give 'em some core guidelines as to what you want to run and the characters that'll fit, and go from there.

But to add something useful to the thread, I'd do this in addition to the previous (and excellent:doi:) suggestions: you could make comparisions with any other RPG your players might have played wich weren't based upon character classes, like old D6 Star Wars, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, etc.

If they never played any game without character class concept, well, this post is nul and void, and you de facto receive the epic mission to save their minds (and even maybe their souls) from the clutches of D20 system!

well... actually we're playing star wars

the one and only star wars possible, the one with a lot of d6 rolled, crappy spaceship combat rules and coooool jedi system :D

(and without class/levels, ofc :) )

That's "revolt" not "regurgitate." Easy' date=' doc. Anyway, the easiest way to introduce new players to HERO or Fantasy HERO is to walk them in to the room, and say "Guys, this is Jim. Jim, these are The Guys" and voila! You've introduced your new player.[/quote']I thought something like "guys, this is FREd. FREd, this is the guys"

anyway... loool :D

If you mean, "How do I get people to play HERO?" that's also very easy. You sit 'em down, preferably with HERO Designer and give 'em some core guidelines as to what you want to run and the characters that'll fit, and go from there.

i got no "hero designer" :(

if you are interested, I have a spread sheet.

Email me for the spreadsheet.

All you have to do is put in the final stats, and levels in each skill you want.

It will auto gen your stat costs, and your points spent on skills.

After that you can look at the weapons section and get the ocv with that weapon.

Its all filled in for you. It prints a 2 sided sheet.

Email me directly runescience@yahoo.com

HERO Designer is $25.00, and it makes everything pretty much invisible. It's the single most powerful character creation hardware on the market, for any system, and it's absolutely essential for any large-scale HERO project. For the twenty five USD you get two years of free updates, and of course, even after that expires, the software still works. The license just allows you to get free updates and download things from the site (http://www.herodesigner.com). Go now. Buy it NOW. Do NOT hesitate.

well... actually we're playing star wars

the one and only star wars possible, the one with a lot of d6 rolled, crappy spaceship combat rules and coooool jedi system :D

(and without class/levels, ofc :) )

Feel the same about Star Wars RPG.

You just have to tell your new players the Hero system looks much like a Star Wars rgp creation process than a D&D one.

Go now. Buy it NOW. Do NOT hesitate.
Oh it's cool :D

i hesitate 'cause actually i don't play hero... well... i never played hero before (save for one or two "one shot" game session)

and dunno if i'll play it in the future... i mean... before 6th edition (or 7th or 8th...) come out... :\

i can buy it from Italy? it's shipped to me? :D

Well, A copy of Sidekick or two wouldn't hurt. I found that it is less likely make potential players run from the table screaming upon seeing 5ER, (OK, that was an exaggeration, they had some choice words that were spoken rather loudly to me before they left).

The best advice that I might give you is to sit down with each player and work through the character concept with each and everyone of them. I know that might be a bit extreme, BUT the experience and fun of hacking out the character with the player can be fun in it's self. Provide some snacks for you and them and have all the needed books at your finger-tips. Then work out the personality and back story for the players PC and

then start creating their character with them. Try to make it a fun experience, and tell the player some of the other genres that are available for the Hero's System. For me these typr of sessions usually takle like 2-3 hours and I try to do them on off gaming times. Do it prior to the actual game, and even tell the player to consider what they might want to roleplay and why.

When I start a new campaign, I make creating the backstory for a players PC very important because I can build in possible plots and NPCs to take the player in all manner of possible directions at different times if I so choose or the player wants to pursue such matters. Here is a example of a backstory that I have worked with one of my players now for my newly reworked campaign.

Player PC Name: Sir Dolrick Argyleon

Dolrick is the 3th son to Lord Knight Kerum Argyleon of the Jhorgule Council of Knights.

His 1st brother Sir Kyle has just been Knighted, and is do to be married to

Dame Precilla Bourgue (father Knight Phillip Bourgue - their family exports fine wines).

Dolrick's 2nd brother Tyean Argyleon is a Squire to Lord Knight Kalib Kerrigor, and is started to build a rep for being a extremely skilled swordman. Tyean is seeing the daughter (Terria) of a rich Import/Export merchant familly of Rellenar of Upper Jhorgule city, and it is looking that marriage might just be in the cards for these tow. Now Dolrick's older sister Dame Zerra is a bit of a wild one, and is quite skilled with a rapier. She seeks at times unlady like entertainment and is quite free spirted and utterly un controlable. Father wonders if his wife (Dolrick's Mother, as well as the mother off all

his brothers and sister) had lived, if she might of turned out more Lady like. The only other family member that lives in the familys Manor House is father's younger brother Father Tully Argyleon (Priest Of Und) . Now Sir Dolrick has just completed his training to become a Knight of Jhorgule under his father, and it is time for him to venture out in the world and prove himself and gain the required three tasks need to become a Knight of the Realm.

That is the basic backstory about the family, and I usually add other details such as friends, servants, little tales of happenings, rumors, mysteries and the like. Everything has the possibility to be a plot lead in many ways. The armed with that, then build the player's character and get them outfitted. Then sit back and talk about their history and backstory getting them thinking of possible adventures and etc.

Just my 2 cents...

Penn

Well' date=' A copy of Sidekick or two wouldn't hurt. I found that it is less likely make potential players run from the table screaming upon seeing 5ER, (OK, that was an exaggeration, they had some choice words that were spoken rather loudly to me before they left).[/quote']

I got sidekick. and agree: a 128 pages full rulebook is awful. a 600 pages full rulebook is "AAAAAgggghhhhh... my hearth... i think i'll die..."

btw, now they are pounding about playing vampire... i mean, hunters who fight vampire. but NOT btvs (i'll be happy 'cause i'm a whedon maniacs) more like... something realistic, not superheroic, but very action...

in short: they don't know... -.-

For Champions, I always did character creation myself as a the GM. I asked them to describe the character they wanted to play and I built it.

This has some real advantages. It means all charcters are "min/maxxed" to the same degree. And it means you don't have rules lawyers slipping fast ones by you.

For my house fantasy setting, I'm actually working on something like KS's system but extended to create real psudo classes and levels. Yes, sacrilege I know, but I actually *like* classes and levels. I think they help promote a degree of uniqueness and cooperation amongst the characters.

That may seem contradictory, but my long experience with Hero has led me to see the "Swiss Army Knife" effect where players start copying each others best areas of efficacy as they advance. I want to enforce some archetype based character separation and, frankly, I like the character growth arc that a class system creates.

So, I'm still using the power of the system, but *I* use it as a GM to create the "class and level packages." If you want to play an archetype I haven't built yet, fine, describe it to me and Ill build packages for it.

I guess that issue of players copying each other and the merging/melding of all the characters into a single melting pot is an oddly rare group. I've played D&D/Rifts/Shadowrun/HERO/D6 (Star Wars and current releases from WEG) and have never had a group of players do that even after playing the characters for over a year in a campaign.

*shrug* Its something I've seen repeatedly.

May just depend on how seriously "game oriented" your players are.

In general, I think a rule of thumb I posted to MudDEV a logn time ago applies here to general game design.

Never make it possible for one character to acquire everything they need to be completely successful on their own. If you do, then achieving that state will become their focus rather then working together.