Post Apocalypse "holidays"

AmadanNaBriona

Badger gave me an odd thought,from his comment in another thread...

Any P-A fan will have encountered this at some point....

Living past the date of one of your favorite "Apocalypses"

we had a party on November 18th, 1989, date of The War...

"World War III begins on Thursday, November 18, 1989 with the launching of the first strike by the U.S. against the Soviet Union. The attack was initiated by the U.S. after the NORAD command center detected an apparent Russian missile attack force coming in over the North Pole. It was later found that the attack force was actually a computer training program that was accidentally fed into the NORAD computers and communication network.

Due to this mistake, the U.S. managed to knock out a majority of Russia's nuclear arsenal. However, enough weaponry was left to effectively destroy the U.S. As the Soviets and Americans were exchanging nuclear gifts, the rest of the world joined in the exchange, using the war as an excuse to finalize age-old disputes with other countries.

As the rest of the world joined in nuclear madness, the Russian missiles began to impact on the U.S. The first targets in America were the military bases and missile launching points so that any remaining military strength could be destroyed. As these missiles fell, others began targeting on population and manufacturing centers with devastating results. As the rockets fell, it was found that a number of them targeted for civilian areas carried biological warheads containing virulent man-made diseases designed to decimate the population while leaving buildings and material intact.

As the days rolled on, the lingering radiation and lethal diseases took their toll. As the bodies piled up, civilization collapsed. Due to the destruction of transport systems and the spread of nuclear ignited fires, food became scarce. Famine stalked the land, slaying at will. The survivors found that medical centers were either swamped or destroyed ... the death toll from disease mounted. Within 6 months, 95% of the world's population was dead. Those who remained were characterized by being self-centered, selfish, and were guided by man's baser instincts as civilization's thin veneer was stripped away."

As Badger mentioned, Thundarr the Barbarian's Apocalypse happened back in 1994.

Any other favorite "Days that Will Live in Infamy"?

Re: Post Apocalypse "holidays"

3 billion human lives ended on August 29th, 1997. The survivors of the nuclear fire called the war Judgment Day.

-- Sarah Conner, T2

That would have been another big one I would have thought of.

Course, seeing how many doomsday documentaries there have been lately. If we make it to 2013, would apply.

That would have been another big one I would have thought of.

Course, seeing how many doomsday documentaries there have been lately. If we make it to 2013, would apply.

Yep.

Even Car Wars put it's doomsday in 2012, tho we passed the Texarkana Accords that ended the Second Civil War back in 2004.

I add the date of the nuclear war in A Canticle for Leibowitz' date=' but Miller was too cagey to give a date for that; not even a decade is given.[/quote']

So far the only clue Brin gives for The One Week war is a current letter the postman writes dated 2009, and many references to the war being 16 years earlier. Still hoping I can nail down a date to celebrate.

We should all be 64 bit by then.

But still needed or fed?

I don't know which day they are going to use, but the plague year for the new film version of I Am Legend has been set as 2009. Which is a very interesting concept for a PA game (a plague wipes out most of Mankind, but only killing the lucky ones....)

I don't know which day they are going to use, but the plague year for the new film version of I Am Legend has been set as 2009. Which is a very interesting concept for a PA game (a plague wipes out most of Mankind, but only killing the lucky ones....)

As an aside, the original book by Richard Matheson (he of 'The Incredible

Shrinking Man' and such....) is quite a good source for a potential PAH

campaign (IMNSHO). Even if the film 'The Omega Man' did do it a disservice

in it's treatment of the text. Again, IMNSHO.

-Carl-

Had it. Then I lost it. I'll find it again.

Oh yes.

"It was 1998... Raccoon City... the T Virus had changed everything. It was my first day on the job as a cop. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into." -- Leon Kennedy, Resident Evil 4, reminiscing about the release of the T-Virus in Resident Evil 2. The official date of "the incident" is September 29th, 1998. With a little modification they fail to contain the T-Virus and they're going all 28 Days Later on your butt.

In the year 5094 of the Suloise calendar (almost a thousand years prior to "current time"), the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire struck. (World of Greyhawk)

So, Greyhawk is explicitly fantasy, but post-apocalyptic by implication. I wonder why this was never followed up on (though a lot of post-apocalyptic tropes seem to hold for that world; ancient ruins, monsters roaming the countryside, old artifacts with great power); it would have been cool to see something like this.

Had it. Then I lost it. I'll find it again.

Oh yes.

"It was 1998... Raccoon City... the T Virus had changed everything. It was my first day on the job as a cop. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into." -- Leon Kennedy, Resident Evil 4, reminiscing about the release of the T-Virus in Resident Evil 2. The official date of "the incident" is September 29th, 1998. With a little modification they fail to contain the T-Virus and they're going all 28 Days Later on your butt.

Yeah,like many games the sequels usually just sorta assume that the players "fail" the previous games.

Just got myself RE: Outbreak File #2 as a payday present to myself.

Zombie Zoo animals suck.