Is this a foci

JmOz

A Symbiote Suit (don't get hung up on it being alive, it is not sentient, it is in someways almost like a plant)

The suit is similar to the Guyver in function (bonds with the character, recesses into a patch on his shoulderblades and expands when needed)

The suit can be taken away by cutting it off

The suit will regrow if it is taken away from the character but that will take 2-3 weeks to happen, it happens automaticaly, so it is hard to imposible to permantly remove it from the character, but it can definatly be kept from him for a while

If the suit is cut off of him he can with a short time (5 min or so) rebond the material to him, there is however a window of about 2 hours or so where after that he has to wait the couple of weeks for it

Re: Is this a foci

Here's how I would rule on it as a GM: It's a personal IIF, breakable, with the SFX of repair being healing back as Alibear noted. However, I would lower the Limitation value by 1/4 because the Focus will repair/replace itself automatically. For example, even if he was captured and imprisoned (a situation where a "normal" Focus guy would have no way to replace their Focus), his Focus will still get repaired/replaced. So unless there are other factors at work that would increase the value of the Focus Limitation, I'd end up giving it a net value of -0.

Here's how I would rule on it as a GM: It's a personal IIF' date=' breakable, with the SFX of repair being healing back as Alibear noted. However, I would lower the Limitation value by 1/4 because the Focus will repair/replace itself automatically. For example, even if he was captured and imprisoned (a situation where a "normal" Focus guy would have no way to replace their Focus), his Focus will still get repaired/replaced. So unless there are other factors at work that would increase the value of the Focus Limitation, I'd end up giving it a net value of -0.[/quote']

Why IIF not OIF? Do you think it matters that it only works when activated

No, it's not a foci. Foci is plural, you can't have just one foci.

Nor does it sound like a focus (singular) to me, more like a Special Effect.

Most special effects can't be taken away for weeks at a time., might not be a focus, but it is more than a special effect

You said it recesses into a patch on his shoulderblades. To me' date=' if he can walk down the beach in a t-shirt and shorts carrying his Focus, and no one can tell that he has it, that sounds like an IIF. ;)[/quote']

Makes sense, I take the "in use" mentality (a ring may look like a ring, but if it starts to glow when you use it then it is Obvious)

Additionally, if you look at the rules for my HICCoS you'll note it's an OIF that returns to the mighty hands of Thia Halmades if taken away; i.e., it's an Obvious, Inaccessible Focus and I don't even have to wait for the plot to catch back up with me. It just comes back. I agree with McCoy; this is an SFX with an additional limitation worth, maybe, -1/4 depending on how often it gets cut off of him. But it's an SFX, and therefore made of handwavium. And, it's an IIF. Unless it's 'out' it's an Inobvious, Inaccessible Focus. I can't reach into his shoulder blades and pull if it's retracted.

Here's how I would rule on it as a GM: It's a personal IIF' date=' breakable, with the SFX of repair being healing back as Alibear noted. However, I would lower the Limitation value by 1/4 because the Focus will repair/replace itself automatically. For example, even if he was captured and imprisoned (a situation where a "normal" Focus guy would have no way to replace their Focus), his Focus will still get repaired/replaced. So unless there are other factors at work that would increase the value of the Focus Limitation, I'd end up giving it a net value of -0.[/quote']

I'd cal the auto replace a wash with the fact that a normal character can replace his focus by locating it after 6 hours, and this character cannot.

I'd call it an OIF only if it is obvious the powers come from the suit (which can be removed) and not from the character. Spiderman's webshooters and symbiote costume are similarly IIF's.

I think it is an OIF (I'm also one who says if your ring glows when you use it, it's obvious). To continue Derek's example of getting captured, sure Guyver Guy gets his back while Regular Focus Guy doesn't if captured, but what happens if they don't get captured and just lose their Foci? RFG finds a lab and poof his focus is back. GG still has to wait 2 weeks. I think that balances things out.

The fact that it is a Focus and not Independent means you get the Focus back if it gets taken away. If you're satisfied that the way he gets it back will limit him, then I think it qualifies.

All that being said, the real answer to the question is whether or not the GM will use this limitation against him. From my experience when a player buys all of their abilities through a Focus GM's don't take that Focus away because the character becomes useless. Make sure the player understands that the focus will get taken away, and make sure the GM is willing to make that happen.

Any time something needs to be removed by surgery or outright damage to the character' date=' it ceases being a Focus IMO.[/quote']I agree, but JmOz never said it required surgery, nor that it caused any damage to the character. As long as it doesn't harm the character to have the Focus removed, doesn't require any special expertise to remove it, and doesn't require specialized tools to remove it, I think it's okay. (For example, if a normal guy can remove it with a pocketknife, that's okay; if it takes a surgeon and a surgical scalpel, that's not.)

I agree' date=' but JmOz never said it required surgery, nor that it caused any damage to the character. As long as it doesn't harm the character to have the Focus removed, doesn't require any special expertise to remove it, and doesn't require specialized tools to remove it, I think it's okay. (For example, if a normal guy can remove it with a pocketknife, that's okay; if it takes a surgeon and a surgical scalpel, that's not.)[/quote']

And can be removed in 12 seconds or less. Part of the definition of an inaccessable focus is that it can be removed from an unresisting person in 1 turn.

And can be removed in 12 seconds or less. Part of the definition of an inaccessable focus is that it can be removed from an unresisting person in 1 turn.

Which is probably the biggest issue, I'm assuming that the armor is Persistent in some manor, and that the "suit" is lacking in seems. How easy/hard is it to get the suit off the character once the character is unconscious?

I'm starting to lean towards OIHID.

No, it's not a foci. Foci is plural, you can't have just one foci.

Nor does it sound like a focus (singular) to me, more like a Special Effect.

This is my answer exactly. (I would've worded it slightly differently, but this is essentially what I would have said had I been first in line.)

Of course, that also comes from me not reading it carefully enough.... So, in the end, I'd call it an OIF.

I agree' date=' but JmOz never said it required surgery, nor that it caused any damage to the character. As long as it doesn't harm the character to have the Focus removed, doesn't require any special expertise to remove it, and doesn't require specialized tools to remove it, I think it's okay. (For example, if a normal guy can remove it with a pocketknife, that's okay; if it takes a surgeon and a surgical scalpel, that's not.)[/quote']

AS imagained somewhere between those 2, leaning closer to the normal (a slightly above normal with a good combat knife would work, so even most agents)

AS imagained somewhere between those 2' date=' leaning closer to the normal (a slightly above normal with a good combat knife would work, so even most agents)[/quote']Then I'd say this is not a Focus. If a normal person can't take it away from an unresisting character in a Turn or less, it's not a Focus.

If it's not a focus, how do you model the ability to "remove" it? Focus seems like the path of least resistance here, GMO'd down to a -0 Limitation (takes Extra Time to remove from unconscious target, target recovers symbiote within two weeks). Unless it's a Summon. :nonp:

Never mind. I'm going to forget I just said that.

If it's not a focus, how do you model the ability to "remove" it? Focus seems like the path of least resistance here, GMO'd down to a -0 Limitation (takes Extra Time to remove from unconscious target, target recovers symbiote within two weeks). Unless it's a Summon. :nonp:

Never mind. I'm going to forget I just said that.

As I said, I'm currently leaning towards OIHID. Otherwise it is a custom Limitation.

I'd model the base effect as Only In heroic Identity.

If you want to play out the bit where it gets taken away at some point, take a physical limitation (Powers can be removed completely for 2 weeks by cutting away the symbiote Infrequent, Greatly Impairing: 10 points).

If you don't want it to ever be taken away, don't take the physical limitation.

As I said' date=' I'm currently leaning towards OIHID. Otherwise it is a custom Limitation.[/quote']

Later? When I wake up from the concussion I'm about to give myself for not thinking of this, I'll rep you. :D

You must spread some love around before lovin' caris again.

I'd model the base effect as Only In heroic Identity.

If you want to play out the bit where it gets taken away at some point, take a physical limitation (Powers can be removed completely for 2 weeks by cutting away the symbiote Infrequent, Greatly Impairing: 10 points).

If you don't want it to ever be taken away, don't take the physical limitation.

I think Caris & Dr. Device is right on this. the fact that it can be cut off also helps to meet the OIHID bit about way to stop the transformation (Or at least it is close enough for me). I do think I will be adding in restrainable (other than grab) as I figure it COULD be permantly removed via surgery

Seems like a focus to me. What is the game mechanical difference between this and a suit of (power) armor? Either can be taken away if the character is unconscious/not resisting. Either character can get the thing back with a bit of work/time/going back to HQ and getting a replacement.

And yes, OIHID works too.