The End of 'The Crowns of Krim'

Tech

I plan on a mini-series where the characters find out the terrible secrets behind the Crowns and eventually destroy them, forever dealing with and sealing the fates of the Crowns and Dark Seraph.

Now in the past, I and another GM tried to get rid of Dark Seraph but it seems everyone's forgotten that. 'Course, real life being what it is may have made everyone forget. Well, those things forgotten and those unknown will be brought to the forefront in this mini-series. It will take a little time to flesh out this idea but I think it'll go well.

Some episode notes:

a) the origin of the Crowns will be changed since I don't hold to the Hero Games Champions universe. It will be more Lord of the Rings with either Dark Seraph with the master crown or the lich (but I don't particularly like the lich so it's unlikely). It's also possible I might just have D.Seraph find a master crown - hmm...

B) the legends of the crowns thru history will be revealed, hopefully giving mystery to the episode

c) the utter evil of the crowns will be revealed, hopefully giving some creepyness and dread to the characters

d) a one-on-one monumental fight to the end between Dark Seraph and one of the players will occur.

e) I'll make the Crown villains a little tougher. I know heroes built on less points that can beat these guys.

If anyone wants to throw some episode ideas or suggestions at me, be my guest.

To the players I say:

The hall is rented,

the orchestra engaged.

Now let's see if you can dance!

:sneaky:

Re: The End of 'The Crowns of Krim'

Crowns? Oh. I thought they were rings and thimbles for a really big she-demon.

Which is one thing that could kill a mystery plot. Let the wrong rumour surface and take root and your players investigations will be forever doomed to derail your plot.

Keep people like me with faulty plot-logic and false conclusions away from your story, at all costs, or else you'll have the heroes beating up innocent little old ladies doing needlepoint while the villains skip off unhindered.

Though.. they could be rings.

Or cookie-cutters, for a demon baker.

Or links in a chain meant to bind and fetter some being of penultimate goodness, which cannot be destroyed, only neutralized by chaining down the good being eternally.

Or links in the chain mail bikini of a gargantuan red-headed, sword-wielding succubus.

One element could be the finding, or creating, of additional Crowns by Dark Seraph's crew or by some other party. A Crown could even be discovered by a NPC hero or even a PC, and the malevolence of Krim's creations highlighted by that character's gradual descent into madness and evil.

Some other Crowns that I've used or hinted at in past games include:

The Coral Crown: granting the possessor power over water. Made of rare red coral from a reef cursed by the gods, upon which many ships have wrecked.

The Forest Crown: abilities to grow, kill, and animate plantlife. Fashioned of petrified wood from a forest killed by a great magical blight.

The Glacial Crown: power of ice, cold, and wintry weather. Forged of silver mined from beneath a mighty ancient glacier.

The above illustrates another tack I took with the Crowns, trying to give each one an interesting origin tied to its powers, which could also be used as the basis for scenarios in which they're (re)created, enhanced, or neutralized/destroyed. Here's what I used as origins for the "official" Crowns:

The Iron Crown: Forged from a fallen star (meteorite) landing during a particularly malevolent celestial alignment.

The Shadow Crown: Carved from black marble in a sunless quarry far beneath the Earth, brought to the surface and consecrated to Krim during a total solar eclipse.

The Blood Crown: Made of fired red clay dug from beneath a great blood-soaked battlefield.

The Shining Crown: Shaped of gold taken molten from an active volcano, said to lead to the maw of Krim himself.

The Stone Crown: Made from granite cut from the peak of the highest mountain in the world, upon which the gods were wont to descend to Earth.

The Golden Crown: Actually orichalcum, once a link in a chain binding a powerful magical entity, perhaps Krim himself. (Great minds think alike, Comic.) ;)

The above illustrates another tack I took with the Crowns, trying to give each one an interesting origin tied to its powers, which could also be used as the basis for scenarios in which they're (re)created, enhanced, or neutralized/destroyed. Here's what I used as origins for the "official" Crowns:

The Blood Crown: Made of fired red clay dug from beneath a great blood-soaked battlefield.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I wonder if the presence of the Blood Crown in pre-Columbian Mexico had anything to do with the prevalence of blood/human sacrifice there, as well as the essentially ghoulish nature of so many Aztec deities?

There was a lot more Old World blood sacrifice, by any measure, than ever happened in any New World culture.

It just went by different rituals, names and guises.

Of course, aboriginal blood sacrifice pretty much ended with the arrival of settlers, while in places in the Old World, it continues more or less unabated to this day.

There's even historical reason to trace what cessations of blood sacrifice are most apparent worldwide to American aboriginal cultures. Iroquian philosophy may have sparked movements that became the movement to end the death penalty in much of the world.

Hmm' date=' now that you mention it, I wonder if the presence of the Blood Crown in pre-Columbian Mexico had anything to do with the prevalence of blood/human sacrifice there, as well as the essentially ghoulish nature of so many Aztec deities?[/quote']

Actually, the Stone Crown was also discovered in Mexico, so if you're looking for malevolent influences that poor country may have had 'em in spades.

P.S. Comic, shame on you for spoiling a perfectly good inaccurate motif with facts! :P

You're wanting to end the Crowns and Dark Seraph...any plans towards Krim himself?

That reminds me, Krim came up recently on the Fantasy HERO forum, and a few interesting ideas regarding him were exchanged (once you wade through the smart@$$ posts):

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56310

If it helps, I once introduced the Crowns thusly. The PC's were brought together and briefed by [our campaign government agency] and a representative of the Trismegistus Council. The attention was on a new villain in town. Strictly small potatoes powers-wise. Witnesses to his crimes say he wore a crown reminiscent of the Krim variety. This small-time doofus had no idea what power the crown could impart, like a man using a laptop to crack a walnut. The Council's concern over this B List villain was that his antics would attract those with greater power and knowledge to steal the crown.

The scary Council guy then explained in great detail each Crown member and his powers (as well as Black Paladin and Talisman, they would likely come too). Our CU-Cincinnati had not seen too much mystic activity before then. This was a good start. As an aside, this is why The Abnormals were approached for this mission over the Champions. Defender simply didn't believe in magic and Witchcraft would have some serious issues of Talisman showed up.

Mmm... largely apropos of little, I think, but with the mention of the Crowns being links in a chain to hold down a penultimate being of goodness... role reversal. :eg:

The Crowns of Krim weren't *created* by the demon lord Krim.

They're links in the chain holding him down, poisoned by the various aspects of his evil. The destruction of each link gradually releases more and more of his power into the world, making evil beings stronger.

Mmm... largely apropos of little, I think, but with the mention of the Crowns being links in a chain to hold down a penultimate being of goodness... role reversal. :eg:

The Crowns of Krim weren't *created* by the demon lord Krim.

They're links in the chain holding him down, poisoned by the various aspects of his evil. The destruction of each link gradually releases more and more of his power into the world, making evil beings stronger.

Uhh, I'd like to change my answer. Jkwleisemann wins the internet.