Most Obscure Reference You've Ever Worked Into a Game

Mike W

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Most Obscure Reference You've Ever Worked Into a Game

Well, the only one of any significance that I can recall actually got re-used in Susano's original Kazei 5 campaign.

The team's medtech was named Temple.

I'll wait here until someone gets it... :whistle:

Benjamin Church, first Surgeon General of the Continental Army?

Well, the only one of any significance that I can recall actually got re-used in Susano's original Kazei 5 campaign.

The team's medtech was named Temple.

I'll wait here until someone gets it... :whistle:

Star Trek's Nurse Chapel?

Oh' date=' and making Temple cry was as sure-fire way to win yourself a beat-down in the original game.[/quote']

Hey, no fair!

Well then again, you're better at handing out the rep. ;)

And Jagger didn't make her cry. That's his story and he's sticking to it. :D

Re: Most Oscure Reference You've Ever Worked Into a Game

I assumed it was a pure Sesame Street joke' date=' myself.[/quote']

The people behind Sesame Street are obviously hoping not just to help children learn to read (and count, etc.) but to instill in them a lifelong love of learning and reading. Even Big Bird and Kermit the Frog can't win them all...

I wonder if the Muppeteer behind "The Count" was aware of the folklore about vampires obsessively counting things...

Lucius Alexander

Four thousand one hundred fifty nine Palindromedary Taglines! BOOM! BwaHaHaHaHaHa!

I thought we were going for obscure, here. Ah well.

Edit: Sorry, tired when I wrote that and it sounds testy. If the tone of voice could be conveyed by text it would sound better.

*shrug* I don't plant obscure stuff into my games (much), and I doesn't seem any more obscure than someone in a Vampire Larp playing The Count from Sesame Street.

*shrug* I don't plant obscure stuff into my games (much)' date=' and I doesn't seem any more obscure than someone in a Vampire Larp playing The Count from Sesame Street.[/quote']

No reason you should. But I had discounted her because it seemed too obvious. Sometimes things just get overthought. Like I said, oh, well.

Re: Most Oscure Reference You've Ever Worked Into a Game

The people behind Sesame Street are obviously hoping not just to help children learn to read (and count' date=' etc.) but to instill in them a lifelong love of learning and reading. Even Big Bird and Kermit the Frog can't win them all...[/quote']

Do I detect a rebuke?

My Champions campaign has a few obscure references. I pulled some names of special materials more obscure than the usual adamantium: Radium-X, trimagnesite.

I also used an obscure book for a bunch of wierd stuff -shiriwayak, uan-irek, ezraq, vellaqqa - including a whole campaing "Tales from the Dark Wheel." The rule of the Dark Wheele was, as one player put it, 'steal shamelessly.' But most of the references were not that obscure.

Every one of my campaigns has an evil organization called The Red Death, too. They don't always come up as major antagonists, but they're out there somewhere. It's not a direct Poe reference, and not obscure if you've been gaming a long time.

My Champions campaign has a few obscure references. I pulled some names of special materials more obscure than the usual adamantium: Radium-X, trimagnesite.

I also used an obscure book for a bunch of wierd stuff -shiriwayak, uan-irek, ezraq, vellaqqa - including a whole campaing "Tales from the Dark Wheel." The rule of the Dark Wheele was, as one player put it, 'steal shamelessly.' But most of the references were not that obscure.

Every one of my campaigns has an evil organization called The Red Death, too. They don't always come up as major antagonists, but they're out there somewhere. It's not a direct Poe reference, and not obscure if you've been gaming a long time.

On the topic of direct theft from uncommon sources, many versions of the Red Redemption from the Lone Sloane comics have shown up in various parts of my personal gaming multiverse.

In Deadlands I use a lot of name references. In one story, the PCs rescued a muckraker named "Diamond" Neal Johnson.

In another campaign, the PCs were hired on as troubleshooters for the Tombstone Epitaph. they worked directly for an editor named Wolf Muldoon who had a partner named Denise Kelly. I called the campaign the E-Files.

This weekend I'm running Deadlands and they'll be going through a town where the mayor's name is Cameron James.

LoL... You guessed it! Also' date=' he's "[b']the mayor o' the town![/b]" (He's gotta start somewhere...)

Hey, I don't care if he's the king of the world, all I want to know is 'where they are.'

Guest Worldmaker

The players once were sent to investigate a series of mysterious deaths in a small town. They were met and given a tour by the mayor, whose name was Arthur Holmwood. They never got the reference.