Flamepunk!!

Adventus

Re: Flamepunk!!

I saw this on RPG.net. It is 10 different kinds of awesome!

Flamepunk Rpg.net thread

Flamepunk WIKI

Very cool idea and excution!

If this was here I would definitely Rep HIM(LoneAmigo)

Flamepunk: "Your dad dressed you funny and your mom wears 3 real point combat boots!"

(whisperwhisperwhisper)

Oh, you meant flame like fire not flame like flamewar. My bad. :D

I saw this on RPG.net. It is 10 different kinds of awesome!
Cool!

this is a nice idea :-)

btw it comes in mind a question: if i whanna do a cyberpunk game, why i don't play plain old cyberpunk?

ok, ok, cyberpunk is dead 10 years ago (and now is not future but present... well... nevermind...) but still: if i whant play a game fantasy but cyberpunk, with all cyberpunk elements like dark gritty game, technology fastforwarded, megacorp (ops, guild) and human becoming machine (where tachikomas are more human than "human" cyborg... ops, off topic :D ) then why i need to create a new "flamepunk" game, when i can just play cyberpunk?

i thought it some years ago, while i was planning a "technomantic" game and a friend of mine said "well, ok, it's fine. but is cyberpunk with sword and automatic magic missile casting rod in lieu of guns..."

no problem with me: i love(d) cyberpunk, and i like this idea. just... it's difficult make something "similar" to cyberpunk but different enough to give it a sense

just my two cents

Cool!

this is a nice idea :-)

btw it comes in mind a question: if i whanna do a cyberpunk game, why i don't play plain old cyberpunk?

ok, ok, cyberpunk is dead 10 years ago (and now is not future but present... well... nevermind...) but still: if i whant play a game fantasy but cyberpunk, with all cyberpunk elements like dark gritty game, technology fastforwarded, megacorp (ops, guild) and human becoming machine (where tachikomas are more human than "human" cyborg... ops, off topic :D ) then why i need to create a new "flamepunk" game, when i can just play cyberpunk?

i thought it some years ago, while i was planning a "technomantic" game and a friend of mine said "well, ok, it's fine. but is cyberpunk with sword and automatic magic missile casting rod in lieu of guns..."

no problem with me: i love(d) cyberpunk, and i like this idea. just... it's difficult make something "similar" to cyberpunk but different enough to give it a sense

just my two cents

I think you're missing the point here.

"punk" in this sense is a genre style descriptor. Much like cyberpunk is a dystopian future of opressesive governments, private corporations, cyberwear using Thatcherite rebels (ie punks) - this game is not that setting.

Steampunk for example is a style of play where rebels use steampower in an oppressive Victorian age setting (often dystopian, but occasionally idyllic).

Flamepunk is a fantasy dystopian oppressive setting where the rebels use flame based magic.

The important thing here is the use of the word punk in the title to describe a rebel against authority that is somewhat chaotic and possibly self destructive.

Hmm, maybe I should invent Dieselpunk. Heck, you could jigger the details of your typical fantasy world around a little and wind up with Manapunk. Actually, that has potential, especially if you graft in advanced golemology, as in the Eberron setting--people could have golem limbs attached to their bodies, which could be popular among rebellious types who need a discreet edge, or who want to flaunt their disregard for convention, or who lost limbs in action.

It seems that the key ingredients of a good foopunk setting are twofold: first, a societal structure that creates a class of disaffected people who have little to gain from perpetuating the existing order, and second, some form of resource which benefits the society as a whole, is relatively new and causing a flux in society, but also and more importantly, gives that disaffected bunch a tool with which to act against the established order.

Hmm, maybe I should invent Dieselpunk. Heck, you could jigger the details of your typical fantasy world around a little and wind up with Manapunk. Actually, that has potential, especially if you graft in advanced golemology, as in the Eberron setting--people could have golem limbs attached to their bodies, which could be popular among rebellious types who need a discreet edge, or who want to flaunt their disregard for convention, or who lost limbs in action.

It seems that the key ingredients of a good foopunk setting are twofold: first, a societal structure that creates a class of disaffected people who have little to gain from perpetuating the existing order, and second, some form of resource which benefits the society as a whole, is relatively new and causing a flux in society, but also and more importantly, gives that disaffected bunch a tool with which to act against the established order.

Yep - pretty much :)

That's what naming genres is all about really.

I have a Manapunk started document, I am a huge Steam and Cyberpunk fan. Dieselpunk has yet to be well represented with the sole entry I know of being Children of the Sun

link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Sun_(role-playing_game)

It does not succeed in what I think it should given the term Dieselpunk but I do like the setting. I do own the book.

I would like a real Dieselpunk game or setting at least. Need to come up with terms to relate to it.

I think you're missing the point here.

"punk" in this sense is a genre style descriptor. Much like cyberpunk is a dystopian future of opressesive governments, private corporations, cyberwear using Thatcherite rebels (ie punks) - this game is not that setting.

Steampunk for example is a style of play where rebels use steampower in an oppressive Victorian age setting (often dystopian, but occasionally idyllic).

Flamepunk is a fantasy dystopian oppressive setting where the rebels use flame based magic.

The important thing here is the use of the word punk in the title to describe a rebel against authority that is somewhat chaotic and possibly self destructive.

So you're saying Star Wars is Forcepunk? :D