Duplication... but different

ghost-angel

Premise: Duplication, each character is Mechanically identical (skills, blah blah blah). But each Duplicate is cosmetically different.

One duplicate may be a 5' white girl, another a 6' black rasta . . . and all kinds of permutations.

SFX: There are an infinite number of dimensions, some people have different permutations across each dimension, living different lives - yada yada; the old "Alternate Dimension Me."

This character had all Alternate Them's pulled into one body, or can at least pull a version (or a copy of a version) from one place to where they are - a duplicate.

(ignore the whole "but they might have different skill sets for now. It might be important later on, but not at Character Creation.)

So . . . the cosmetic differences. Needs an Advantage or is it just SFX?

Re: Duplication... but different

I dislike the idea of doing this for free, but it doesn't seem like it should be very expensive either. Maybe an Adder to the Multiform. It seems deceptively useful in rp situations. One duplicate questions a witness about the activities of a different one, the dupes get to play 'good cop, bad cop', etc.

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about what kind of things you can do with it, it seems like it probably should cost a bit after all.

depends on the level of control to me

If the player has 0 control over what is duplicated (Ohh look it's a girl in a catholic school girl outfit, I was hoping for the large man in sluty leather like mr. Slave) then +/- 0, if you can choose which one I would call it +1/4

Seems like shapeshifting linked to duplication to me. If the character has no control over which dupe they get it could have a limitation to that effect.

Perfect control over which Duplicate. In fact, the start there is only one other, so there's not much to choose from.

I keep coming back to Shapeshift, except that the Duplicates themselves can't actually change, and Shapeshift:Can't Change Shape seems... just so silly.

Rereading the Altered Duplicates Advantage, it says that changing things cosmetically is usually 0pts. (even uses skin color as an example).

And I also realized I may want to change each Duplicates Disadvantages (notably Psychological Limitations), putting this at the +1/4 Level anyways.

As always, posting a conundrum made me think more clearly after some feedback. Thanks all :thumbup:

:eg:This character brings up an interesting plot twist. You could have him hunted by his villainous duplicate. I.e. Before he had total control over his duplication, one of the duplicates came from Back-world, where villains in our world are the Heroes and the heroes are villains. This duplicate refused to recombine and left. He, or she, is now creating villainous duplicates and committing crimes. Your character would all the angst you could ask for. It would make for an interesting, yet confusing battlefield.:eg:

To me this is just sfx. Mind you, I'd enforce it: every duplicate HAS to be different - you can't produce a duplicate who looks liek the base character.

Why?

Well, I can see advantages to having different duplicates (it is good for vote rigging) but I can also see advantages for identical duplicates (it is good for providing yourself with an alibi). To me the advantages and disadvantages balance. If you wanted to be able to look the same OR different, then, I'd either require you to define each slot of your duplication (so if your identical twin is kille dyou can't get them back) OR buy shapeshift, with some pretty heavy limitations (single unique form linked to duplication).

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Shapeshifting' date=' sight, hearing, touch, smell, only duplicates (-1/2), linked to Duplication (-1/2), Uncontrolled (-1 version). Total cost: 10 points. A bargain for a potentially countless number of disguised "you"'s.[/quote']

While I kicked this around before posting . . . I don't like it at all. For a number of reasons but the first and foremost reason is why I also don't like Growth;Always On for permanently large characters: Shapeshift is for CHANGING, and no one duplicate can change their shape.

Not to mention the Base Character wouldn't need it all, forcing me to buy the Altered Form at the +1/4 level at the least - now I'm paying twice to do this. If I can't double dip on Limitations I refuse to double pay for abilities. :)

Sean: Your got a lot of my thoughts, every duplicate has to be different somehow, no twins in the bunch.

To me this is just sfx. Mind you, I'd enforce it: every duplicate HAS to be different - you can't produce a duplicate who looks liek the base character.

Why?

Well, I can see advantages to having different duplicates (it is good for vote rigging) but I can also see advantages for identical duplicates (it is good for providing yourself with an alibi). To me the advantages and disadvantages balance. If you wanted to be able to look the same OR different, then, I'd either require you to define each slot of your duplication (so if your identical twin is kille dyou can't get them back) OR buy shapeshift, with some pretty heavy limitations (single unique form linked to duplication).

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Yeah... I think this is how I would do it too. :thumbup:

While I kicked this around before posting . . . I don't like it at all. For a number of reasons but the first and foremost reason is why I also don't like Growth;Always On for permanently large characters: Shapeshift is for CHANGING, and no one duplicate can change their shape.

Not to mention the Base Character wouldn't need it all, forcing me to buy the Altered Form at the +1/4 level at the least - now I'm paying twice to do this. If I can't double dip on Limitations I refuse to double pay for abilities. :)

Sean: Your got a lot of my thoughts, every duplicate has to be different somehow, no twins in the bunch.

But you do change. As you duplicate, you change, with No Conscious Control, to look like your Duplicate. That's one way to look at it.

Alternately, you could define exactly how many Duplicates there are, but I don't think the original conception was that there would be, say, a gang of eight duplicates who were always the same. If they look different each time, the effect is of changing appearance.

But you do change. As you duplicate, you change, with No Conscious Control, to look like your Duplicate. That's one way to look at it.

Alternately, you could define exactly how many Duplicates there are, but I don't think the original conception was that there would be, say, a gang of eight duplicates who were always the same. If they look different each time, the effect is of changing appearance.

No, each Duplicate has a set look, no two duplicates can look the same (no twins), there are a defined number that never change, if you find your Duplicate Ralph he is always Ralph.

sorry if I wasn't clear. But you're creating different people, or different versions of the same person, but each one (each Duplicate bought) is permanently set.